Search

Cuernavaca with kids

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2003, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cuernavaca with kids

Has anyone been to Cuernavaca with kids? We are planning a trip with our 15 and 10 year olds this summer to attend a language school (Chac-Mool) and have a number of questions. Has anyone been to this language school?. I chose it because of their programs for families. We do not plan on staying with a family on this trip and will need accomodations for two weeks. I would prefer somewhere that includes breakfast and even lunch (main meal midday) so that we did not have to eat in restaurants for every meal. Airconditioning is a must and a pool would be appreciated. I will need two connected rooms or one room/suite large enough for the four of us. Any suggestions and/or recommendations? I would also appreciate any recommendations for restaurants. If you had a favorite activity, daytrip, or location please share. Though I have a number of guide books I am reading, any and all insights would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Anyone?
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 08:36 AM

What is your budget. Las Mananitas is great but not cheap at over $100 per night(although still good value for money). So I suspect not what you want, but it has beautiful pool and gardens. Only has small number of rooms so may not be ideal or available, but can only ask. Their restaurant is very nice and another restaurant Le Madrigal run by a former LMan manager is also a stunning setting and expensive by local prices. In the context of more western countries - both are just mid priced but give a total 5 star surrounding.So treat yourself and go to at least one of them for dinner.
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input Travelnick. We don't have a tight budget but you may not have priced Las Mananita lately. Rooms run from $200 to $400 per night and dinners are now way above the moderate range with entrees at $25-36. Though I am willing to pay around $200, that room at Las Mananitas would not accomodate our family of 4. Any other suggestions in a slightly less costly location would be appreciated.
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 11:12 AM

I think Las Mananitas would in any case be a poor choice with children--they would be very bored, in my opinion. We stayed once at a place called Villa Bejar when our kids (about 15 and 12 at the time) were with us and had a great time. We seemed to be the only non-Mexican family, which was nice. There are a couple of pools, a spa, restaurant, etc., and lots of kids when we were there. We had a suite that had 2 bedrooms, 2 baths and a living room and at the time cost about $150/night. Sort of an Arabian-themed place.

I have not personally stayed at the Cuernavaca Racquet Club, but I have heard it is a nice choice for families, especially if you like tennis (9 courts).

You might also want to look at www.vrbo.com, which has a few listings from Cuernavaca. If you are not familiar with it, this site lists by-owner rentals from around the world, and we have had good luck using it for Florida.

Do, however, have a meal at Las Mananitas, preferably the mid-day one. The gardens are gorgeous, with exotic birds etc., and you could easily spend a few hours there, having a pre-lunch drink in the garden, moving to the terrace for your meal, and on to another terrace for coffee.

The Cortez museum is good in town, and the zocalo is lively. We took a day-trip to Taxco, which I recommend--a very picturesque drive and the town itself is, too. Be sure to see the Cathedral there, and also in Cuernavaca.

You might not need air-conditioning as much as you think in Cuernavaca: they aren't kidding about that "City of Eternal Spring" stuff! I haven't been in the summer, but in September, December and February you definitely need a sweater in the evening, and sometimes a light jacket (December). Have a wonderful trip, I wish I were going!
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 01:14 PM

Prices have gone up! -we paid about $140 only last November - but weekend rate goes up with visitors from Mexico City.
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 05:27 PM

Check HOsteria Las Quintas, is very nice and have spa... great gardens.

www.hlasquintas.com
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 07:10 PM

If you haven't made your reservations you might want to think about Guanajuato, San Miguel, or Oaxaca. To me, it would be alot easier and more fun for teenagers. Cuernavaca is starting to get to be a big place and longer distances need to be traveled to get around. I would be more concerned about letting my kids run around in Cuernavaca than the other places mentioned. I have been to language school in Cuernavaca, Saltillo, and Oaxaca. Although I enjoy almost anywhere in Mexico, I liked Cuernavaca the least. The upside, however, with Cuernavaca is you can do day trips to Mexico City, Tepotzlan, and Taxco. Personal opinion, I would take Oaxaca any day for this type of outing with teenagers.