Cuernavaca, Puebla, or someother Place?

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 07:44 AM
Rey

Cuernavaca, Puebla, or someother Place?

what are the advantages/disadvantages for each of these places, for a day side trip from Mexico City? Any other bus suggestions besides UNO?

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 08:04 AM
Jean Valjean

Puebla is a very nice place with tons of things to see. The Cathedral is beautiful, and the Capilla del Rosario is just amazing. Food is great, and cheap.

There are a few ruins in nearby Cholula.

The bus system in Mexico is very well developed, and I am sure you'll find many options for a bus to Puebla. Just be sure to get a ticket on a first class bus. They will be safer, much more comfortable, faster, and the price difference is marginal.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 10:52 AM
marilyn

Cuernavaca is a weekend resort for Mexico City, known primarily for Cortez' Palaca, the Cathedral there, and a plethora of nice restaurants and small garden-type hotels with pools. I know of no ruins of any interest there.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 10:55 AM
Rey

Could cuernavaca be considered a "peek" into the gulf coast, something similar to Veracruz without the port?

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 11:43 AM
marilyn

No. It is a colonial town with a large American presence.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 10:05 AM
Jennifer Rodriguez

cuernavaca is the place i would suggest!! My family and I go once or twice a year and we absolutely love it!!! You would not be dissapointed!!

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 05:24 AM
Debie

Cuernavaca is on the western slope of the Sierra Madres so it is on the Pacific side of the moutains and still a ways from the ocean- so it is not similar to Veracruz. Although not my favorite, I do like Cuernavaca. It is close enough to Mexico City for day trips. I made a marathon trip once using buses and the metro in Mexico City to visit the Basilica of Guadalupe and then on to the pyramids at Teotihuacan. Also Taxco is not too far and the village of Tepotzlan is close by and interesting. For the last few years I have been going to Oaxaca City and really enjoy that. IMHO there are numerous days trips that offer culture, ruins, handicrafts, etc. that are lots of fun. The down side- if you want to check out Mexico City you have to fly or take a 4-5 hour bus ride. Have fun.