Reload this Page >

All you need to know about BA

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 11:24 AM
John

Just in case anyone was looking to travel to Buenos Aires and wanted any info/tips on anything from what to do, where to go, restos, nightlife, shopping, hanging out, etc., feel free to contact me. I am a Canadian who is just returning after having spent the better part of two years in BA and I just loved the place. Next to New York and Montreal among my favorite cities in the world. <BR><BR>I don't think there is a better time to visit BA than right now- perhaps no place in the world can now offer what it has for the price.<BR><BR>

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 06:13 AM
gracie

Hi John, I'm travelling to B.A in September and I'd like to hear about your experiences with restaurants. I've actually lived in B.A some years ago but it's been a long time and I find myself returning more like a tourist than like an argentinian who left her country years ago.<BR><BR>I'm travelling with my boyfriend who has never been there and I really want to impress him with great food. <BR>Have you been to Caba&ntilde;a Las Lilas in Puerto Madero? What other great restaurants should I absolutely not miss?<BR>I'm not really planning on shopping much but anyway I'd like to know what the best shopping centers are nowadays.<BR>Thanks for your help!<BR>Gracie

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 04:28 AM
cHRIS

jOHN I AM 55 AND TRAVELLING TO BA VIA SANTIAGO. IS THERE A TRAIN BETWEEN THE CITIES OR IS IS BETTER TO TRAVEL BY BUS. I DO NOT HAVE ANY SPANISH SO WILL I SURVIVE ON ENGLISH? I AM COMING FROM AUSTRALIA SO WE DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT. WE NEED TO HAVE SOME IDEA OF RELATIVE VALUES eg COST OF ACCOMODATION,FOOD,DRINK,CARHIRE -ETC. CAN YOU ADVISE A WEB SITE TO VISIT?<BR><BR>CHRIS<BR>

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 05:26 AM
Chuck

Dear Gracie, while I am not John, I am an american living in Buenos Aires and thought that since you haven't heard from John yet that I could reply.<BR><BR>First of all coming to argentina if you are using us dollars is unbeliveable. The dollars is currently about 3.5 pesos which means things will be so cheap you wont believe it. There is a study that compares foreign currency rates by looking at the cost of a Big Mac around the worls. Aregentina is the lowest at about 60 cents US.<BR><BR>Cabanas Las Lilas is the best steak house in BA. While the Argentine equivalent of the NY strip is good, the filet is the best (Bife de lomo). Again with salads, a nice bottle of wine, steaks, sides and dessert and coffee , wou'll probably spend about 20 US per person. Danzon is another favorite of mine. Ecclectic, sushi place in Recolleta. Maria Fulo has some great Brazilian dishes. For the more casual side, Romarios Pizza is great. Don't forget most places don't open til 8 or 8:30 for dinner and if you are there before 9 you will probably jusyt about have the place to your self.<BR><BR>For shopping my favorite mall is Alto Palermo. Also, Patio Bullrich, galleries PAcifico, and Patio Alcorta are all nice and the most traditional malls as found in North America.. Let me know if I can be of any other help. Chuck

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 05:37 AM
Chuck

Dear Chris, I don't know of atrain from santiago to BA. The national train system here does not seem that popular (if it exists at all-I'm not sure) Most people fly or take the bus. Please check air fares. As much as the Peso has devalued against the US dollar I assume it has done so against the Australian dollar as well. If you can get air fars in local currency it might be really cheap. See my post baouve for value of the Big MAc! but more seriously the values are great. Just be sure to get prices in Pesos. Some hotels in the tourist areas might try to quote a price and say dollars but if pressed will give you the same price in Pesos- which for US dollars is 3.5 times cheaper!.. Food and wine are really cheap, again the best restaurants in town will cost less than 20 per person. Regular run of the mill corner cafes for lunch will cost you about 2-3 bucks US. Dry cleaning and laundry is also ridiculously cheap. I had 10 pairs of pant dry cleaned, 6 shirts and 4 sweaters cleaned for a total of 17 us$.<BR><BR>Car hire is also cheap. Taxis are everywhere. And the fares are reasonable. A 10km trip costs about 5-6 pesos so 2$us.<BR><BR>Surpisingly, for a large metropolitan city, the level of english is in my opinion much less than found in other large non english speaking cities and certainly significantly less than the spanish found in large US cities like NY, LA or Miami. You will find no problem with english at hotels or on the main tourist Shopping street -Florida. But in most restaurants, other shops, taxis etc.. Its all spanish. Let me know if you need anything else<BR><BR>Chuck

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 08:40 AM
gracie

Thanks for your comments, Chuck.<BR>I'll definitely try Caba&ntilde;a Las Lilas and I agree with you that with dollars this is the best time to travel. <BR>Last time I went to B.A was in December of '94 so you can see that it's been a while. I just hope I remember the buses I'm supposed to take to move around the city on my own!<BR>Can you tell me where to find Romarios Pizza? <BR>My dad says I should revisit Los Inmortales and Las Cuartetas for the best pizza in the city. I just love their pizza!!<BR>I used to go to Alto Palermo shopping a lot when I lived there and this time I'll try the other ones. My tour package includes transportation to the shopping malls and discount coupons for some stores. Is the Alto Palermo still the largest shopping mall?<BR>Thanks,<BR>Gracie.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 10:26 AM
Breton Tom

The information in this CHAT thread is very helpful. Particulalry your experience, Chuck. I had several questions for you about visiting Buenos Aire so, I figured a direct E_mail would be more appropriate venue. However, your E_mail address appears to be a method for preventing SPAM, rather than a viable E_mail contact. My E_mail address(above) is valid and SPAM protected. But I would like to E-mail you some questions? If you could contact me and place the following in the E_mail SUBJECT HEADING *?*CHUCK, YOUR ARGENTINA INSIGHTS*?* I would like appreciate your expertise in answering some questions I have?<BR><BR>Breton

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 10:39 AM
Chuck

Gracie, Romarios has six or 8 locations (the original is in my neighborhood Palermo on Ugarteche) you can see them all at their web site www. romario.com.ar As for the malls I think Alto Palermo and Galleries Pacifico are about the same size and have many of the same shops--just depends where you are in Microcenter or Palermo. I think there is a larger mall in teh burbs (maybe Tigre) called Unicenter I think. Let me know if you have any other q's

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 03:39 PM
Alejandro

I'm an argentine tourist guide, just email me for any info you'd like ([email protected]). As for the train system, nobody really considers it. Better take the bus. And bring US dollars, nobody knows how an Aussie dollar looks around here (euros might be useful, though not as much as US$). Same for every other currency.<BR>If you feel like it, visit www.urbanhiking.cjb.net and read about my tours in BA (up to 70% cheaper than bus or bike tours)

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 03:14 AM
jenny

Hi Chuck,<BR>My husband and I will be in Buenos Aires mid July for 5 days, our first visit. Could you recommend several decent hotels in an area convenient for sight seeing (budget about US$80 or less). A nice pensione would be preferred to a fancy hotel. <BR><BR>What are the must sees and dos in BA? Will 5 days be too long?<BR><BR>We will be staying at the Four Seasons Resort in Carmelo, Uruguay. Know the cheapest way to get there from the EZE Airport? <BR><BR>What's worth buying in BA? Have been hankering after a nice leather jacket.<BR><BR>Thanks in advance.<BR><BR>Jenny

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 03:54 AM
Chuck

Jenny, sorry I don't have any specific hotels in that price range for you. When we were down here apartment hunting we stayed at the 4seasons in BA which used to be the Park Hyatt. I'll see if I can find some hotels for you in your price range. Regarding the 4 seasons Uruguay, Have you SEEN IT on their web site. It looks absolutely fabulous. My wife and I are planning a weekend over there real soon also.<BR><BR>If you are going to Uruguay immediately after arriving in BA at EZE you can do two things. TAke a cab to the ferry in BA. They have a high speed hydra foil which takes less than an Hour to arrive in Colonia, Uruguay. From there (again check their web site) I think the 4 seasons will either meet you or send a car. Or of course you can hop into the aerolinas Argentina terminal and fly to Montevideo but then I think you are about 3 hours from the 4 seasons. <BR><BR>Yes, Leather is really cheap here. Just be careful and do some looking before you buy...while you will see it everywhere, the quality varies. Also there is a semiprecious stone indigenous (sp??) to Argentina that many tourists buy It is teh Rodachrisitie (sp??) and is redish-pink and is amde into bracelets, earings, necklaces etc... just like pearls. You will also see that everywhere.<BR><BR>Let me know if I can be of any other help.<BR><BR>Chuck

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 03:57 AM
Chuck

Sorry forgot about the must sees. Four first timers I think the xcemetary in Recoletta is a must. Also San Telmo on Sundays to see the Tango dancers in the streets. Plasa de mayo and plaza San Martin. You might also take the tren de la costa which is a short half hour ride out to Tigre. There is a large open air flea market out there and the sights along the way (looking out into the River are nice)

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 04:58 AM
jenny

Thanks Chuck. The four seasons Carmelo seems very impressive and I hope the chef meets up to his reputation. I will write about it when I return if you would like some feedback. This trip to S. America revolves around my 3 night package at the FS,C which expires in August otherwise I would have chosen spring or autumn to visit the area.<BR>Has the weather been nice in BA?

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 08:31 AM
peter

topper

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 12:10 PM
Chuck

Jenny, its been absolutely beautiful for the beginning of winter. Highs in the mid 50's (F) and lows around 40 with crisp blue skies. Hope you enjoy your trip.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 08:57 AM
jenny

Thanks Chuck for your help. Found over the internet a B&B and a hostel that were both highly recommended. Tough choice between spending US$40 and $25 a night. Hope the weather keeps up.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 11:27 AM
Angie

Jenny: have you checked with the 4 Seasons at Carmelo directly? I was about to go for Holy Week and I know they have their own small ship that will take you from Buenos Aires along the river to Carmelo in Uruguay.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 11:33 AM
Yvonne

We are planning to visit BA in end Nov./early Dec. Is it very hot at this time? Also, is it safe? I hear so many conflicing reports. We are also hoping to visit the Salta & Jujuy regions, are you familiar with those at all? Thank you.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 05:29 AM
maria

It should be in the high 20s or low 30s. Don't be discouraged by the conflicts reports. I live here and honestly I've seen the conflicts only on TV. Of course they happen, but you're not like to have any problem.<BR><BR>Salta and Jujuy are gorgeous, there is nothing similar all over the world. You will find plenty of info on the web. Do a google search.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 07:55 AM
jenny

Hi, made it to Argentina and am at the Four Seasons Carmelo right now using their free high speed internet. Lovely place, the suite is nicer than on the website.<BR>I soent a week in Salta, great place. I didn´t Salta the city tho and left the next day to stay at San Lorenzo 15 pesos by taxi ride away. I would highly recommend Eaton Place a great B&B in San Lorenzo run by a cosmopolitan very hospitable Argentine with great taste, his house is lovely and big and breakfast includes fresh homemade bread and jams and squeezed OJ. El Castillo the hotel looks very good from the outside. We had good meals at Andre´s. If you would like the name of a local guide with his own 4x4 (cheaper when you contact him directly rather than thru a travel agent) email me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -