Reload this Page >

Credit cards for reservations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2002, 09:48 PM
Kelly

Hi! - I'm in the "reserving stage" of my planning process, and want to check my experience against others'. When I've written or called places to make reservations, most send me a form (or link me to it) on which I need to put in my CC#, list all quoted charges, and then sign it. Then I'm supposed to fax it back or scan and send via e-mail. They all claim that that CC will not be charged anything unless I cancel late.<BR><BR>I've had this experience with three different companies now. Is this standard? Has anyone had problems with this? I'm a little nervous, scanning my CC info with signature....

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 05:20 AM
jean

I don't know if this procedure is the norm, but it seems to be common. I faxed the information to two of the three places that we stayed when we were there last year. Sort of an odd system, but we didn't have any problems.

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 05:46 AM
Kim

Is this standard?<BR>Yes<BR>Be happy that they accept credit cards and not asking you for money order or cashier's check

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 05:49 AM
Kelly

Kim - Yes, I have had to do that, too, for a couple other places! -Kelly

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 05:58 AM
Kim

I personally try to avoid places that ask for money order or cashier's check. In case if I change my mind for different reason (let's say I find more interesting place or something happens healthwise) then it is much easier to deal if I paid with credit card but with other form of payment, I better be ready for a long and sometimes painful process. <BR>Good luck and have fun<BR>

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 07:27 AM
David Cook

Yes, I have been asked to provide CC info via e-mail and I used to be nervous about it and would sent the # in 2 parts via 2 different msgs! I have never had a problem, however, and would probably be a lot more casual about it now. An interesting story- the last time I was in CR, I charged a lot of hotel and restaurant bill on a certain CC and the issuing company (MBNA) started asking a lot of questions and requiring additional validations as to who was making the charges. They apparently felt that it could have been stolen when they saw so many charges from a foreign country. When I returned I called them and this was correct; they said it would be OK to call them before a trip like that so they would not be surprised. Pretty good, actually!

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 10:48 AM
jean

You're lucky MBNA just started asking questions about your credit card, they denied mine on my third charge on a trip to Costa Rica. I hardly ever use the card, usually use a MasterCard, and I guess the sudden surge of activity was a red flag for them. Unfortunately, the collect number on the back of the credit card was 'no longer in service'. For the rest of the trip we had to watch our spending and search out places that took MasterCard. So, the next trip we'll call them before we leave......

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 11:12 PM
Scott Gauvin

Kelly,<BR><BR>Hotels asking for your credit card for confirmation is perfectly normal. Costa Rican hotel practices don't consider a reservation confirmed until it is paid for in full.<BR><BR>

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 12:56 PM
LT

I was also hesitant to do this. I did the same thing with MOntana de Fuego, Hotel California, Aventuras Naturalas and Fonda Vela and didn't have any problems at all. The only problem I did have was with Orquideas Inn. Once you fill out the information on their website, it's considered reserved and you will get charged for it, if you're within 14 days. I made this mistake and was charged for it even though I was just checking availability. I'm still bitter about that.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 04:21 PM
Kelly

Thanks to all of you for your feedback. I feel much more confident now.<BR><BR>Oh, and David - thanks for the heads-up! I'll call my CC company *before* I go!

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 07:27 PM
Susan

I've had this experience both in Costa Rica and Jamaica. They need written authorization in order to charge your card without you being there to personally sign. I accidently left some jewelry in Jamaica (yeah, I know, I'd lose my head if it weren't attached) and I had to send them written permission before they could even use it for FedEx charges to get the stuff back to me!