I'm so confused!

Search

I'm so confused!

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2003, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm so confused!

I made a reservation for one night at Hotel Villa Schuler in Taormina a couple of days ago and gave them my credit card number to guarantee the room. Got back an email saying payment on departure was in cash only (according to Karen Brown and Frommers they take major credit cards), but I think my credit card already has been charged for the cost of the room. Is this standard practice? And why the "cash-only" policy (in any major currency and travellers checks, no less).
Old May 8th, 2003, 06:39 AM

Cash only in smaller budget places are very common. If you cancel on short notice or skip out, they will charge your credit card for their protection. I don't understand what you mean by "I think my credit card already has been charged." Either it has or it hasn't. Call your credit card company and find out.
Old May 8th, 2003, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

I did call my credit card company and the charge has not yet been posted. But the approximate amount of the hotel cost in US dollars was deducted from my balance and I hadn't charged anything else on this card since making the reservation (it's a card I seldom use), so I guess I'm just assuming it was the hotel.
Old May 8th, 2003, 06:48 AM

I agree with Dori, this is common.

They will only charge your card if you fail to show. Even small places that will accept cards, often state a preference for cash, and may even give a discount.
Old May 8th, 2003, 06:49 AM
Bootman4U

There is a very big difference between an establishment that "accepts credit cards" and one that accepts cash only. I think just about everyone agrees with what "accepts credit cards" means, too. You do NOT go to a place like this expecting to pay cash....you expect to go there and be able to PAY with the credit card. If this hotel advertises itself as accepting credit cards but only does so to guarantee their cash-only payment, then this is either false advertising or an inaccurate description of the place by whatever guidebook.
This is obviously a "cash only" place whether they use your credit cardto guarantee payment or not.

Old May 8th, 2003, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Well, I guess my question is, if this is a cash-only place, why would they charge my card in advance?
Old May 8th, 2003, 06:55 AM

They probably did an authrization on your card for the amount of the stay to make sure the card was legit. I would no worry though, in a few days the authorization will "fall off" the card. This would explain why your card company did not see a charge.
Old May 8th, 2003, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Ah, thank you! My question answered! Now I can go back to work.