Search

CR Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2003, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CR Trip Report

Just back from 10 days in Costa Rica:<BR> 1. 2 day Rio Pacuare trip w/ Aventuras Naturales---great guides, beautiful and comfortable riverside lodge----but not a whole lot of water in the Pacuare! Still a nice ride, but not the roller coaster, scary ride of the rainy season.<BR><BR> 2. Bosque del Cabo--Sensational location; several excellent trails with varying terrain and wildlife; good food; wait service only fair; great chef----talented and personable; 2 knowledgeable naturalist types; lots of resident birds and mammals; friendly owners<BR><BR>3.Vista del Valle--beautiful mountain-like location near grecia----1 hour to Poas---excellent food and service, comfortable and beautiful cabins, very helpful staff. <BR><BR>4.Flor de Lys in SJ--comfortable, if a little ragged--do not take a front room--too much street noise---very helpful stafrf, small restaurant with great food and service.<BR><BR>Pura vida Marc<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 01:06 PM

Thanks for the report Marc.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 09:19 AM

Marc:<BR><BR>Question about Bosque. Our family was there this past August and there were only four other guests there (total of eight guests). Basically had the place to ourselves. We are thinking of going back around this time next year. I'm assuming the place was full/close to full. With the owners, staff and naturalists being so laid back, are they able to handle it?
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 09:45 AM

Hi Dave,<BR>When we were there in Feb. It was as full as it could get. Every one of the Cabinas was being used by a pretty demanding yoga group and we ended up in a little house out in the garden area for the first couple of nights. So we wouldn't have to make the long walk to the dining room and back in the dark they would bring our dinner out to us on a 4 wheeler along with predetermined drinks. It was pretty nice actually. The deluxe cabina was a nice treat though after that with the beautiful views and beautiful hot water shower. The little house didn't have much of a bathroom. Cold water shower that didn't feel too bad after some long hot hikes but compared to the cabinas what can I say.<BR>We never felt like they were overworked and were given plenty of individual attention by the guides and staff. I had quite a few long chats with Kim also. After the Yoga group left there were quite a few people that came in. Probably 7-8 cabinas with 2 people in most of them. We all went our own way during the day and rarely saw each other but come late afternoon it was nice getting together for drinks.<BR>We have never duplicated staying at a hotel/lodge because it is fun seeing different ones but we are already planning on going back to Bosque this July and again next Feb.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Dave- I believe that the place was at or near capacity throughout our 5 day stay. The naturalists kind of split their work with one being bird-oriented and leading hikes in the early am as well as handling other duties such as arranging day trips and the other leading hikes after breakfast, afternoon, and evenings. Not everyone wanted to go out with the naturalists and the trails were so well laid out that while we did go on two day hikes and on an evening walk with the staff, we felt very comfortable on our own. The cliffside cabin we were in overlooked the Pacific and it was immaculate It was kept that way throughout our stay--there were always people working on the trails and grounds.----I have only two minor issues which would not preclude me from going back or from recommending Bosque--neither was related to being too busy, but both are kind of management or staff- training related and fixable-the first was that we had arranged to be picked up on the beach access road near Cabo Montapalo and we were about 15 minutes late because we misread the map we were given and we walked in the wrong direction along the beach access road--not only was nobody waiting for us when we finally found our way, but I thought that someone could have looked for us along the road since the beach access road was no more than a mile long---- The second was that we had arranged(with the same person with whom we had arranged the pick up) to go out for a 1/2 day of inshore fishing-----the fellow came by our cabin at about 8pm on the evening before we were to go and told us that the fisherman who was to take us didn't really want to go out because he had taken guests out that day and they weren't happy because they had been &quot;skunked&quot;..he said it was up to us---the guy would take us but he didn't really want to---no great choice there AND the next day for lunch we were served tuna and snapper-both inshore fish caught nearby. I know this sounds whiny--but this would NOT prevent me from going back------maybe the service and staff are better at Lapa Rios--- but we didn't come primarily to be resort guests---and Bosque is not pretending to be a RESORT- Truly EVERYTHING else at Bosque was great. I'd go back tomorrow if I had the time.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 06:54 PM

Hi Marc,<BR>After my husband left I stayed at Iguana Lodge which is a little closer to Puerto Jimenez. There were people there who had the same problem setting up an inshore fishing trip. Sounds almost identical to your problem. Probably the same fisherman. <BR>I did get the impression that setting up tours was not their favorite thing to do. Of course with a place like Bosque why would you want to leave? <BR>Thanks for the info on them not picking you up. I was thinking about the kayak trip next time which is where you were supposed to be picked up. I will stress that I am to be picked up. I think the kayak place can radio to them that you are there.
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Suzie2----First a sp. correction on my original note: &quot;Matapalo&quot;<BR><BR>Second, I don't think it was a question of the same fisherman,but rather a price issue-- the Bosque brochure had printed prices for half day fishing and the Bosque ee arranging the trip initially quoted me a price that was almost double the printed price---I have fished CR several times and I didn't think that a 1/2 day of inshore fishing around the point was worth $500-600--he then set the price at $300 which was acceptable to me, but said it would be with a local fisherman in a 19' foot boat rather than a different outfit w/ 31' boats----even with a little chop, the 19' footer would have been fine and the 31' footer overkill for me- I don't think I was given the straight story--sounds more like the guy may have balked at the price after initially accepting it. In any event you're right--maybe the bosque folks should get out of the day trip biz or maybe I should have saved my fishing for another place and another day.
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 08:09 PM

Bosque del Cabo is very nice.<BR><BR>Coincidentally, my wife and I stayed there a few weeks ago during the same 5 days that Marc and his wife and son did. First off, I'll say that one of the pleasures was spending some time with Marc's family. We also really enjoyed the other folks who seemed to &quot;self select&quot; for a remote place with a nature orientation and a high &quot;comfort factor.&quot;<BR><BR>I think Bosque is strong on what they offer directly (lodging, food, guided walks), but perhaps weak on activities they book.<BR><BR>My one negative experience was also a fishing &quot;debacle&quot;. Two other couples and I asked for the staff to arrange an all day fishing trip. All five of us emphasized that we weren't out &quot;trophy hunting&quot;, but wanted to put food on the dinner table (ahi, dorado, snapper, etc.)<BR><BR>The Bosque del Cabo Web site lists &quot;sport fishing&quot; at: $475-600 for a full day.<BR><BR>The five of us were originally told $700 for the day. Then it changed to $750.<BR><BR>When we got to the boat, we again emphasized that we wanted fish for the table. That didn't phase the Captain. He was a Texan newly arrived in Costa Rica with an expensive boat, a big ego, and the need to put some sailfish &quot;notches&quot; on his hull. So, we headed 23 miles out to sea and wasted an entire day frenetically chasing after non-existent sailfish. We brought back _nothing_.<BR><BR>We were all pissed that this guy was totally into his own trip, rather than satisfying his clients' preferences.<BR><BR>One other area where Bosque del Cabo needs to improve is mixing drinks. Although it was no doubt better for my health, I would have liked some _alcohol_ in the drinks. ;-)<BR><BR>But let me wrap up by saying, Bosque del Cabo isn't really about fishing or drinks. It's about monkeys, toucans, maccaws, leaf-cutter ants, hiking, waterfalls, swimming in sheltered Pacific pools or off Golfo Dulce beaches. And trees -- man, what trees!<BR><BR>And, good food, lovely cabinas, and peaceful afternoons in the hammock.<BR><BR>We loved the place and would recommend it enthusiastically.<BR><BR>-- Paul<BR>
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Hi Paul---<BR>Hope you and Janice are doing well. Meeting you all was such a pleasure and your attention to Josh ---extraordinary and very welcome!<BR>Looking back on these posts, I believe that I've not done an adequate job of praising Bosque----To be clear----I would indeed go back--I would give it a 9.5 rating out of 10, fishing be damned. <BR> Want to exchange some pics? [email protected]!<BR><BR><BR>