Search

1st trip to Buenos Aires

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2003, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st trip to Buenos Aires

Hi;<BR>My husband and I are looking at going to BA in late April for our anniversary. Can you give us any advice, recommendations, ideas on what to see and do there for approximately one week? Advice also on where to stay, getting around etc. is greatly appreciated. We have never been to South America and this will be the first trip. We have axcess to timeshare as a possibility for hotel.<BR>Thanks much for your help.<BR>
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 11:04 AM

I suggest you to stay at a neighborhood by the name of Recoleta. Take a whole day city tour, go to a tango show, maybe two. Have diner at Puerto Madero. Meat is usually very good in Argentina. Galeria Pacifico at Florida St is gorgeous.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 12:00 PM
me

Hi,I'm also planning for ourselves as we're going soon , there're a lot of infos right here just roll down this strip.One website I found that has best rates for several hotels ,excursions,tour packages...- Argentina.com .Also Argentinago.com or Buesnosaires.com.ar. -Recoleta , Bario Norte ,Palermo ,Puerto Madeiro all are supposedly good areas to stay.
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 02:00 AM

I suggest you look for a romantic hotel like Park Plaza Kempinski. <BR>As for activities, there is a lot to do and it depends on what you are interested in. But just to give you an idea, some of the usual activities are:<BR>-tango show / tango classes / milonga<BR>-San Telmo antiques market on Sundays<BR>-Recoleta fair on Sundays<BR>-excursion to Tigre<BR>-city tour:<BR>*Plaza de Mayo <BR>*La Boca <BR>*Recoleta <BR>*Puerto Madero<BR>*Palermo parks
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 02:17 AM

I suggest you look for a romantic hotel like Park Plaza Kempinski. <BR>As for activities, there is a lot to do and it depends on what you are interested in. But just to give you an idea, some of the usual activities are:<BR>-tango show / tango classes / milonga<BR>-San Telmo antiques market on Sundays<BR>-Recoleta fair on Sundays<BR>-excursion to Tigre<BR>-city tour:<BR>*Plaza de Mayo <BR>*La Boca <BR>*Recoleta <BR>*Puerto Madero<BR>*Palermo parks. Ride on mateo (sort of carriage)<BR>*asado (barbecue)at a good parrilla (barbecue restaurant)<BR><BR>If you are interested in &quot;more cultural&quot; activities, the city has more than 90 museums for you to enjoy.<BR>
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 12:07 PM
me

If you need travel agent from Ar. I got this lady Ethel Lopez.Her email:<BR>[email protected] , she accepts credit cards ,so booking with her company (ttsviajes.com)is much easier ,safe , and much ,much ,cheaper than booking through an agent who ask for cash transferring ( not to mention some whopping service fee) or booking with agent in the US or from your home town.
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 03:18 AM

re: travel agents...a suggestion: get a quote from two agents who have been recommended here before deciding...I am not at all convinced you will find a credit card agent &quot;much, much cheaper&quot; than cash-only agents such as Cintia.<BR><BR>re:getting around. Ask your agent to recommend/reserve a remis for you to and from the airport. Use radio taxis to get around..there are many reputable companies....I suggest you phone a cab to pick you up....your agent can give you phone numbers....<BR><BR>Re:hotels and things to do....Cintia's post offers excellent advice about where to stay and what to do in Buenos Aires....<BR><BR>RE: restaurants. Since this is an anniversary trip, I think Simone offers great advice...have dinner in Puerto Madero in one of the restaurants with a view of the river.....Argentina has a well deserved reputation for serving some of the best steaks in the world, and the best steaks in Argentina can be found at Cabina las Lilas in Puerto Madero....An Asado (grilled meat BBQ) is another possiblity....and Rodizio (not sure of spelling) is another option in Puerto Madero.....Puerto Cristal is a good choice for seafood...and most restaurants offer chicken (pollo verdeo is a very good dish), seafood (especially good, salmon rosada (pink salmon)......Celebrate with a bottle of Chandon Extra Brut, a quite qood champagne produced in Argentina....<BR><BR>A word of caution: Most Argentinos like the United States and Americans and distinguish between American government policies and individual Americans....Even so, you are likely to receive questions about the Iraq war and Bush....and it is best not to place yourself in the position of defending the war, which is very, very unpopular in Argentina (one poll I read said only 3% of Argentinos support the war.....a stark contrast to the strong support we received for our excursion in Afghanistan).<BR><BR>email me if you have further questions....I will help if I can.....I love Argentina and hope you have the same fantastic experiences I have had in this marvelous country.....I just returned to the US this past Friday, so I have pretty recent information....<BR><BR>[email protected]< BR><BR>
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 11:35 AM

My boyfriend is from Argentina and we vistited his family in December. It was my first trip to S. America and I absolutely loved it. There are so many great restaurants. If you enjoy Tango, you should definitely go see the Senor Tango show, it is not in the best part of town, so I would recommend a cab, but it is absolutely wonderful. We are from the US and it cost ~$30US to see the show which included dinner and drinks. I highly recommend it.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 03:34 PM

US News &amp; World Report is preparing an article on travel during these touchy times. We'd love to hear from folks who've chosen to travel to Argentina to find out why that was their destination and what their hopes and concerns are. If you're interested in sharing your thoughts and views, email Kim Clark at [email protected]. Thanks.
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 05:35 PM

I'm thinking of going to BA in June or July but before I make up my mind, I need to know from people who've been there if they think it's a safe place for a single woman traveler. I'm in my 30's, speak just a little Spanish and have traveled on my own, just not in Latin America...<BR><BR>What about places outside of BA--where should I go/where should I not go??
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 05:39 PM

Dear Onewandering jew,<BR><BR> Hope you received my e-mail. Kind regards
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 07:56 AM

I'm also &quot;in my 30's, speak just a little Spanish and have traveled on my own, just not in Latin America...&quot; and am hopefully going to Argentina next week.<BR><BR>I would be interested in the same info you sent to her....<BR><BR>Thanks! [email protected]<BR>