Costa Rica travel advice

Aug 23rd, 2002, 11:30 AM
casey

Costa Rica travel advice

I don't work for a travel agency, but I've been writing travel articles and doing web promotion for over 100 hotels in CR for the past 4.5 years. Have questions? I'll try to answer objectively where I have answers.

You can also see my own Costa Rica Forum at www.costaricapages.com.

Regards,

Casey

Aug 23rd, 2002, 01:07 PM
leslie

Do you know anything about the hotels on the osa peninsula? what about La Paloma Lodge or Casa Corcavoda Lodge. Also thinking about the Iguana Logde. Your input much appreciated.

Aug 23rd, 2002, 01:29 PM
xxx

Casey,

You may not sork directly for an agency but it sounds like you are strumming up business and traffic to your site so that your sponsors will continue to buy advertising space on your site.

Aug 25th, 2002, 04:41 PM
Casey

Yes, I run a CR info site...but as long as my advice is objective, is it not of use to these readers? Unlike other lurkers on this BB, I'm not directly selling anything.

Anyhow, here are my answers to Leslie's questions:

The Osa Peninsula is a must-visit. It's possibly the only part of Costa Rica that still feels like Costa Rica might have (I wouldn't know my first visit was 6 years ago) 20 years ago...

Lodging there ranges from very, very rustic (electricity and hot water are luxuries in this remote region) to super high end (lapa rios) and somewhere in betweek (Iguana Lodge).

If you have the budget, I'd highly recommend Lapa Rios...it's fabulous. Marenco Lodge would come in second with Corcovado a close third. Also very nice is the Drake Bay Wilderness Lodge.

I don't know La Paloma but have heard it's cool too. Iguana is okay, the owners are cool.

Casey

Aug 27th, 2002, 11:30 AM
RK

Casey,

I'm trying to decide on a hotel for one night in Alajuela before flying back to US from San Jose (flight doesn't leave until 2pm). I've seen several good reports on this forum about the Orchideas Inn (sp?) --- it's also within my price range (~ $80 for travel in green season). Any other suggestions? I haven't checked to see if this is still available, but I had seen a special deal w/Martino ($89 special) and that looks like a fabulous place. Any others similar to that hotel who may be offering special deals?

Aug 28th, 2002, 05:55 AM
Ally

If you can't find anything else, stick with Orquideas Inn. I've stayed there 5 times on my first and last nights to CR. I love the place. Very friendly, and the best breakfast around!
Email me if you have any questions.

Aug 28th, 2002, 06:52 AM
casey

Orquideas is a nice place, so is the Pura Vida B&B (very cool and CHEAP), Villa Belen and Hotel Bougainvillea (in Heredia, about 20 mins. from the airport). Xandari is BEAUTIFUL, but expensive...and also about 25 mins. from the airport.

Regards,

Casey

Oct 3rd, 2003, 11:54 AM

how far is the Orquidea Inn from San Jose? is Hotel Presidente any good? How's the neighborhood that it is located in?