Help on Costa Rica Trip!!!

Aug 18th, 2003, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Help on Costa Rica Trip!!!

My husband, my 8 year old son and I are going to Costa Rica next summer. I need some input from people who have been there--especially those who have taken their kids. The main portion of the trip is a family cruise with Cruise west. This is booked, but can be unbooked with no ramifications right now. My son has traveled extensively with us and still enjoys our company.

Day 1 Arrive at San Jose Airport at 7:30 a.m. having taken a red eye from SF. Staying at Xandari Resort.

Day 2 - Day 4 Take a three day/two night tour with Costa Rica Expeditions to Torgugaro and stay at the Tortuga Lodge.

Day 4 Return to Xandari Resort tour San Jose

Day 5 - Day 11 Cruise West Cruise which goes to Cur WIldlife Refuge and Tortuga Island, Corcovado Conservation Area, Golfo Dulce, Drake Bay and Cano Island, and Manueal Antonio National Park

Day 11 return to Xandari Resort

Day 12 Fly home to San Francisco at 9:00 a.m.

I would appreciate any help and advice you can give me.

Aug 20th, 2003, 08:11 PM

Just came back from CR trip that included Tortuga Lodge in Tortaguerro (two nights, two full days, fly in and fly out). Had two 14-year old daughters with us. They loved all of the places we went but have especially fond memories of Tortuga Lodge and Tortaguerro. Perfect way to start a CR trip there. Enough can't be said about how nice and helpful Kenya (General Manager) was, how great the guides were (do the turtle night excursion). The jungle was beautiful and threatening at the same time...everything a jungle should be. We saw crocs, caiman, monkeys galore, sloths, vipers, falcons, boas, anteater, and more. Good pool and hammock house too.

Enjoy!

Jim
Aug 21st, 2003, 11:40 AM

I did the Cruise West trip this past July with my mom, aunt and 13-year old cousin. It was fantastic - your son will love it. I will top my trip report FYI. (See Costa Rica Trip Report - Land & Sea Parts I & II.)
Terri
Aug 21st, 2003, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

Terri:
Thanks for topping of your trip reports. We have booked our trip for Cruise West and are really looking forward to it. I am encouraged to hear from someone who has been on the trip that they really liked it. I have yet to hear a negative word about Xandari for our San Jose stay.

Our travel agent provided us with a great travel package for Xandari and the Pachira Lodge at Tortegaro. Apparently she has been told that the Tortuga Lodge nickels and dimes everything. Has anyone heard that?

Does anyone have any comments about Pachira Lodge?
Aug 25th, 2003, 04:18 PM

Tortuga Lodge is owned by Costa Rica Expeditions. They are one of the top tour companies in CR as well as one of the more established. Tortuga is a beautiful place and CRE always has wonderful and their guides are the cream of the crop. It is more expensive but we have done a lot of traveling with them over the years and always felt that we got our moneys worth.
Oct 19th, 2003, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

to the top