Costa Rica in April? Best Place to Go

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking at planning a somewhat last minute to trip to Costa Rica in the middle of April. I saw some amazing flights for $322 and decided we should try to go. We have been to Costa for the last three years and next week are going to Belize to do something a little different. The trip in April would be for a big birthday celebration and I would like something more romantic. My other half loves to surf and if there is a nice beach that anyone could recommend that would be great. We also want to be in a place where there is potential to see wildlife and to go hiking. I was looking at Mal Pais and Casa chameleon but I am a little concerned that area might be too hot and dry at that time of the year. We had been to the Osa a few times so would like to see a different area. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 11:03 AM

Costa Rica is hot but never dry. April is approaching the green season so I wouldnt worry about dryness.
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 02:50 PM

Well, I was going to suggest the Osa, but now I see you've done that. Have you thought about Manuel Antonio? The park has a beautiful beach and tons of wildlife. It's nice if you don't mind a developed area. Loads of restaurants too.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 03:54 PM

Words like "never" and "always" seldom apply.

We haven't been in April, but several times in mid-March. The Montezuma area was very dry and dusty (dust all over the green leaves!). And darned hot!

Note: We did some hiking in the Cabo Blanco reserve in March (it's a strenuous and LONG hike) and in the trees with no air moving, a time or two we thought we might have made a serious mistake! We had some water, but needed more--take plenty!

You can expect the same further north (and more so) in Guanacaste. Generally. I can also remember a time when we got into one of the worst rains EVER while driving through Guanacaste in March. But generally, yes, this part of the country is pretty darned dry, and even more so near the END of the dry season. The transition to the rainy season begins in May.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 05:32 PM
surfersmom

Mal Pais is a great spot for a romantic trip. Laid back .. gorgeous beaches and my daughter loved the waves there for surfing. Mind you I don't know how the waves are in April ... she went there last wk. Waves were very gentle and forgiving ... don't know what kind/level of a surfer he is ... for romance, try the villa at the Mal Pais Surf Camp .. we just loved the wind blowing thru for $95 a nt. If he is looking for a little more challenging waves, try the whole coast south of Jaco and if he is looking to go to the next level he can get lessons from Jim Hogan there that used to train the US team .. he was the world longboard champ in 95/96 as well. jimhogansurf.com . That is where my daughter is right now and loving it for her 2nd yr in a row .. although most his customers are repeat. They stay at Hotel Terrazas del Pacifico .. I really liked the place. Good luck, have fun, either location is good ... stop in Montezuma one night and stay at Amor de Mar for romance, then take the water taxi back to the mainland for $40 thru Zuma tours or go on wedoitallcostarica.com and get the 20% off coupon. We loved the water taxi across and saw 2 types of whales, porpoises, dolphins and flying fish .. it was a real treat for the money. Wish I was back there.

Old Jan 21st, 2008, 05:44 PM

April can be brutally hot and dusty in that part of the country. As shillmac points out, you'll be coming to the end of the dry season, and it won't have rained for about five months. There will likely be dust everywhere.