Search

Costa Rica questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2004, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa Rica questions

My wife and I are planning a March trip to Costa Rica and had a few questions:

- We want to spend some time at the beach; I've heard that the Pacific is too cold for swimming. Is this true? Any recommendations on beaches, either Pacific or Caribbean? We're looking for something on the quiet side, no big crowds.

- We also want to include Arenal, and a good rainforest experience. Again, we're looking for something low-key, we don't want to feel like we're on a tour, surrounded by other tourists (nothing personal!). Any recommendations on an itinerary? We want to do 9-10 days.

- Do we NEED a 4WD? Any tips on good deals for a rental car?

- Recommendations for best wildlife viewing?

Thanks.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 05:54 AM

We were just at Manuel Antonio on the Pacific side and found the water temperature just divine. Also went swimming in the Gulf of Nicoya. Will admit this is their "summer" so don't know if March would be different. When you go to Arenal, if you stay at Tabacon, you can go to the Hot Springs at 8am - it's not open to the public until 10am and doesn't start to get crowded until about lunch time. We were driven from place to place; some roads are OK others are dreadful. The bigger problem is roads aren't well marked and you can easily get lost. Bridges can be quite scary.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 06:27 AM

Haven't heard about the cold water. The biggest problems with the waters around CR are the rip tides. There are still plenty of places to swim that are not too bad. Costa Rica is pretty stable temperature wise because of its location. It can be just slightly cooler when it is cloud covered and rainy. They don't even get hurricanes.
Right now summer is just starting and moving into the warmest summer months. March and April are the driest and warmest. Mostly due to lack of clouds and rain than to anything else.
Have you considered the Osa? It is pretty undeveloped there but there are still plenty of very nice places to stay. My favorite place for quiet and relaxation. Long walks on the beach, sometimes not seeing another person. Still tours you can do.
Keep in mind that March is the busiest month for CR so make those reservations soon and do expect to see other tourists. Most people are just doing their own thing. If you go to Arenal I would recommend Arenal Paraiso or Montana de Fuego. Nice little cabinas.
Ally has spoken about Samara quite a bit. Sounds like a smaller place also that would be easier to get to than the Osa. Don't know what the average age of the travelers there are. The Nicoya Peninsula does get a lot of younger people because of the surfing.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 11:17 AM

I fact, we have the best weather of the world award.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 02:53 PM

Que Bueno Esteban! Muchas gracias por la information. La temperatura es excellante.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 04:04 PM

I can tell you that swimming in the Pacific is like taking a bath, the water is very warm. If you want to stay away from major crowds I would not go to Manuel Antonio, even though it is one of my favorite places in Costa Rica. As someone else mentioned, maybe check out Tamarindo, Samara or the Osa Peninsula. March is a busy time and I hear the hot springs at Tabacon can get crowded, but it is a lot of fun. There is nothing like a swim up bar with a view of an active volcano! And there are many hotels in the area other than Tabacon that offer better prices, but keep in mind that when you stay at Tabacon your entry fee to the hot springs is included, if you stay in another hotel you will have to pay the $15 fee.

If you are looking for a good rainforest experience check out Monteverde, I've yet to visit but some friends of mine have and they said it was gorgeous. There is a ton of wildlife to see! Then again that's true in almost all of Costa Rica.

If you plan on driving yourself I recommend 4 wheel drive as some of the roads can be pretty bumpy. And do not attempt to drive long distances at night, there is a lack of lighting and signs. Check out Dollar rentals, they seem to have the best rates.

Have fun planning your trip!
Patty
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 09:51 AM
LAG

Hola jbiel32. The Pacific beaches go from "white" to "medium brown" depending on location. The water is always nice and warm...28C. Try Playa Conchal, Play Hermosa, Playa Carrillo on the Pacific. Play Manxanillo on the southern Caribbean is very nice. Zancudo, south of Golfito, is really neat. Very warm and shallow. For a good rainforest experience, off the beaten track, check out Tapanti National Park, Guayabo National Monument and Tapanti National Park...all on the east side of the central valley...in the Cartago/Orosi area. If you sre interested, I can likely arrange a 1987 - 90 Trooper for $20.00/day.

regards,
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 02:43 PM

I too am interested in renting a 4x4 auto. Where do you get such a great deal?!?
I am going to Costa Rica for my honeymoon from Jun 1 to 11, in and out of San Jose. I would love to hear more about the $20/day rental.

Thank you