Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Single mom w/10 yo daughter - Mexico or Costa Rica?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me start off by saying I've travelled independently and with women friends in Asia and Europe, budget, off the beaten path, and with most of my planning done on this forum.

>>Thanks to all the wonderful Fodorites!<<

However, now I'm planning a trip with only my daughter. I've been to Mexico and it seems more familiar, but I've always wanted to go to Costa Rica. I do not want a resort area per se (more a local feel), but would like to feel safe and spend less time getting lost than I did during my other adventures! My cousin was shot in Costa Rica by bandits merely wanting his backpack while he was hiking, so I guess I just need some positive responses. He's ok though, thank goodness.
We'd like to swim, tree top, snorkel, enjoy lot's of wildlife and nature, raft or float, maybe horsback.
I'd like to spend $75 or less on accomodations per night, if that's doable.
Willing to stay in 2 locations, otherwise would prefer one place and taking day trips. (Where would be the best place to plant ourselves?)
Length can be 8-10 nights.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on itinerary...especially specifics that you've experienced yourself and would recommend or not recommend.

Thanks in advance!

Old Aug 4th, 2006, 10:53 AM

First of all, thank goodness your brother is okay. What a horror story!
That said, Costa Rica is probably one of the safest countries you could visit. Precautions must be taken to safeguard against theft (you don't go play in the water at the beach and leave your stuff laying around--but most of us wouldn't do that anywhere else, either), but violent crime is not all that common. That will probably change (and has) as tourism increases.

It is an excellent location to explore nature (guides are invaluable for rainforest hikes) and experience a lot of adventure.

Considering that arrival and departure nights usually need to be spent near the airport, you'll have about 8 or 9 nights?

My suggestion would be Arenal and Manuel Antonio for range of activities, wildlife, accomodations, etc. You can easily book your transfers through Interbus (www.interbusonline.com) and know that it will get you to your next destination safely and comfortably. If you change your mind about not moving around so much, you could add Monteverde to your itinerary and do 3 nights each.

There will be rainforests, cloud forests (Monteverde only), active volcanos, ziplines through the treetops, Hanging Bridges, wildlife galore, riverboat tours (such as Cano Negro out of Arenal), horseback riding options (Finca Valmy, Manuel Antonio), whitewater options (or just gentle float trips), waterfalls, you name it.

All areas offer reasonably priced rooms. You won't have trouble finding hotels in your price range. Get yourself a good guidebook (like Lonely Planet or Moon Handbook) and familiarize yourself with some of the areas.

For the most part, the people are genuine, friendly, anxious to help.
Happy planning! I know I'm partial, but there is a reason so many folks have gone back to CR time and again--it calls!
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 11:01 AM

You and your daughter will love Costa Rica. I went alone w/ my son the first time and we can't stop going back. Sorry about your cousin -- that's really awful but be assured that it's not an everyday occurrence at all. Since we had never been to Costa Rica before we went through Swiss Travel and had a wonderful time. We had a driver and a fantastic guide and the price was pretty good -- we spent most of the time in Arenal and there was so much to do. We spent part of the time at the Eco Lodge on Lake Coter and then moved over to Arenal Paraiso, and then on another trip Arenal Lodge. We did all of those things you want to do. Another plus about Costa Rica is you don't have to worry about the water and you can eat all the fresh fruits and veggies you like. The locals are very friendly and are great with kids.

Sandy
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks shillmac and sandyc -- It sounds like the Arenal area has lots of options so I will start by researching there.
The interbus looks great too.
I'm just starting to peruse the threads here, so I'm sure to find lot's of great tips.
You're right though, I need to get a guidebook so I can be more familiar with what I'd like to discuss here on the board.
Would you recommend booking day trips once I get there or ahead of time?

Old Aug 5th, 2006, 10:01 AM

I don't think you'll have any trouble booking after you arrive. Good luck in your planning--it's half the fun!
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 08:18 PM

The above posts make me want to go too! But I have to at least put in one post for Puerto Vallarta. It depends a lot on what your daughter would like. Besides the beaches, zip/canopy tours, waterfall and horseback riding, etc. which you can also do in PV does she like the flea markets, outdoor theatre, parades, and night time entertainment that is usually seen on the PV Malecon? The time of year may have relevance too. I think since both areas have great recommendations, I would go with the best deal you can find on the airfare.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 03:05 AM

Terrible about your cousin, glad he was ok in the end. Costa Rica would be wonderful for you and your daughter. I agree with Arenal and perhaps Manuel Antonio . MA will offer beautiful swimmable beaches, tons of wildlife, lots of activies, and close proximity to San Jose. More tourists than other Costa Rican areas, but for a "soft adventure" with your daughter could be an option.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for more suggestions and kind regards for my cousin. Don't worry, nothing keeps him down. The next year he spent on safari so everything is an adventure for him...in the end.

I think the Arenal and Manuel Antonio sound perfect. I don't want to move around TOO much only because it's time to take a more laidback trip.

PV still sounds like a lot of fun too and of course my daughter wants to get her hair braided and would love the flea markets.

Regarding cheapest airfaire I found some great deals Seattle to PV in February. However, compliments of AA for overbooking my flight from Paris to Seattle this June, I have an $800 voucher to be used by next May, so I can be somewhat flexible there. Whoo-hoo!

Any suggestions on B & B or hotels? Best time to go for whatever reason? Thinking somtime Feb-May.

Thanks!
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 09:36 PM

Well I vote for CR. I've been all over Mexico and CR twice. (However, for Mexico, I agree that PV is the best choice).

I absolutely hated Manuel Antonio. It is a tourist destination that's way past its prime. I highly recommend the Osa Penninsula. We stayed at La Paloma for three nights and it was fabulous. The package includes a trip to Cano Island to snorkel, or for extra $$ scuba. We took our first dive there -- a resort dive -- and felt completely comfortable and safe with the dive captain, Wilson. (They train you in the pool). It was a wow. The package also includes a guided tour of Corcovado forest. Saw macaws, monkeys, wild pigs, ignuanas, etc. Ended the day with a swim in a waterfall pool. The food is fantastic and the people, hotel staff and guests, were thoughtful and interesting. The journey there is half the fun! Planes, jeeps and boats.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 03:32 AM

I agree the Osa is wonderful and a don't miss--sometime at least. But it goes way beyond the $75 per night budget--WAY beyond! Perhaps if you use those vouchers and save on airfare?

As for Manuel Antonio, it is touristy, but touristy is Costa Rica is nowhere near touristy at Disneyworld! It's worth your time if nothing else but for the beaches and the park. For a first time visitor, MA is a good location. For those who've been there and done that, sure, there are other places to see.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 08:26 AM

CR will grab you. Arenal/La Fortuna area is fun with some neat "tours". Try the Pinas Blanca river float with a tour company named Jacamar. It's not white water but it is extremely relaxing and full of animal life. Neat twist at the end of the float....lunch at a typical Tico home in el campo. The best park we visited was, believe it or not, a private park called TU-RU-BA-RI. It is on a road between Puriscal and Orotino. It was fabulous! Expert trained guides...beautiful forest....more wildlife than anywhere (except monkeys were rare. many more of them coastal)...HIGHLY recommended. They have the canopy lines etc. Lunch is provided and included in the admission (about $9 per I think). Just a short 15-20 drive East is a most wonderful B&B called AmaTierra. This area is up iin the highlands about an hour or so from the San Jose airport. The staff is most excellent...food is as good as you will find in CR....owners are just plain great and the relaxing atmosphere is spectacular. Eventually, AmaTierra will become a Wellness B & B with wonderful group opportunities for those that enjoy yoga, meditation, arts, etc. I'm not of that blend but all the same, we will go back every time we go to CR. Rooms (5 casitas) are excellent.

M.A. and Quepos were places that everyone said we had to go to our first visit. We went. We won't go back. Kind of a dirty Key West wanna-be in my opinion and I really didn't think the beaches were all that pretty. The scenery is gorgeous tho and I guess everyone should go at least once!

Gas prices are about the same as they are here. Rental cars about the same cost as well. Driving is an adventure and the infrastructure is typical 3rd world. Beauty abounds and it looks like a giant greenhouse/nursery! Enjoy.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

SassTraveler -- I'll definitley check into the Osa area, although I'm determined to keep the budget down so I'm not sure if the package you mentioned will be doable. However, it sounds absolutely fantastic MA seems like it has the best swimming beaches, which will be a must for my daughter, so even though it may be a little more touristy it still sounds like great fun.

Shillmac - Thanks for the comparison, there's definitely a difference between the two! Thank goodness my daughter would rather do a trip like this than Disneyland again!

hansboomer -- The park you mention sounds fabulous. I will check that out and the B & B as well. I get very excited about food. LOL! So, if you didn't care for MA, what would your suggestion be for swimmable beaches and snorkeling? Also, is it necessary to have a car? I've usually just used the bus sytem, train and cab when I've travelled. Mainly because I'm hesitant to get on the road without being familiar. i.e., I'm chicken.

Thanks all!
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 09:49 AM

We too want to visit the Osa and other areas as well. But with our young kids a swimmable, safe beach is a must. At this stage MA fits perfectly. The hotels in the Osa with a pool(kids need to cool off) are out of our budget at the moment. You are doing the right thing by researching places, you'll know what to expect. P.S. The beaches are very pretty
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 10:12 AM

When discussing Manuel Antonio, Quepos, and beaches, it should be noted that, yes, Quepos is kind of a dirty little town. We never spend any time there. Just pass through en route to the park (MA). And as for beaches, the ones inside the park are the pretty ones. The first one isn't so swimmable, but the second one (I always forget their names) is just perfect--beautiful and swimmable.

As for visiting the park, if you go be sure and do that. It's the best thing about MA. Do hire a guide at the entrance. It will cost about $20, but if your hotel books for you, the cost will be closer to $40. The park is closed on Mondays, and the best time to begin a tour is early (7:00 or 8:00 a.m.). The guides can spot so much more for you than you'll be able to find for yourselves.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Guides are an invaluable resource and we will definitely use them. I don't understand people who refuse to hire guides for special sightseeing or use audio guides in museums. We have always come away with so much more knowledge, and with such a better experience, using both of these in our travels.

Faithie - Thanks for the encouragement

Now, the anticipation begins...