CR Trip Advise, Osa, Ma, Rafting

Jan 23rd, 2005, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

CR Trip Advise, Osa, Ma, Rafting

I think I have read most of the posts, thank you everyone for all the useful info. I do have some Q's if some of you can help me. To begin, we are mid 50's,not terribably athletic, speak only a few words of spanish, well traveled, want a bit of luxury and adventure. Get up early, don't need night life. Don't want to drive.
5/17 Arrive SJO 1pm. Taxi to Orquideas
5/18 Driver/Interbus? Manuel Antonio-Costa Verde? (A/C, TV, view, location) explore
5/19 MA Park
5/20 MA Horse Back ride to the waterfall
5/21 MA Husband Deep sea fishing from Quepos,share boat?
5/22 Fly SJO, Fly Osa-Drakes Bay hotel?
5/23 Drakes Bay Corcovado park 6 hr tour
5/24 Cano Island snorkling tour
5/25 hiking
5/26 Fly SJO, taxi Peace Lodge- explore grounds
5/27 Hacienda Pozo Azul rafting or combo tour (We are beginners)
5/28 Taxi to SJO stop at Poas on the way. Flight 2pm.
Q's-
Is it posiible to fly to Osa from Quepos? I have read that it was but it is not on their website.
Can we make the drive back to the airport and go to Poas on the way?
Fishing is a must for my husband. Is it better out of Osa? We chose Drakes Bay so he could go fishing but our 1st priority is animals and forest. So, We could do Bosque if he fished out of Quepos?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Jan 23rd, 2005, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

I hoped the Costa Rica forum would pick this up so I am replying with new buz words. I have never posted before.
I have questions on Costa Rica, Osa, Manuel Antonio, and white water rafting. I would also like info on any Tico soda's to eat at anywhere.

Jan 23rd, 2005, 12:59 PM
fish

we recently returned from a wonderful trip with O.A.T. If you look on their site and look at Real Affordable Costa Rica, that is the one we took. We are 55 and went with our two kids- 15 and 23. We were all pleased with the itinerary and the white water rafting trip was excellent. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me.

Jan 23rd, 2005, 06:09 PM

You have an excellent itinerary. Quepos should be one of the better fishing options in the country for you. For more information, check out Costa Rica Outdoors or e-mail Jerry Ruhlow, local fishing expert:

[email protected]

You'll want to be at the airport a couple of hours before your departure time. If you arrive at Poas by 8:00 (best for getting to see the crater), you should have time to hike the area a bit, enjoy a bite of breakfast somewhere, and still arrive airport on time. Good idea. Taxi might be a little expensive, but most drivers are also pretty darned good guides! He more than likely won't speak much English. You might want to hire a private driver!

Jan 23rd, 2005, 07:01 PM

We are flying to Osa from Quepos on April 10th....I was told by the staff at Bosque Del Cabo that Nature Air has one flight a day that starts in SJ and stops in Quepos on the way to Osa but I think it is only during high season which may end April 30th. It is flight 115. ($91.00 pp)
Jan 24th, 2005, 05:04 AM

There is a flight to the Osa (Puerto Jimenez from Quepos). I do not think there is one from Quepos to Drake Bay. Your best bet to find out, as they are unlisted on the airline web sites, is to contact them directly or just ask the lodge to help you make arrangements for transportation. Many of them will.

If you really want to go directly to DB from MA you could hire a driver. The road is now very good between Dominical and Palmar Sur (and into DB from what I understand). It is a pretty ride and you will pass the Bellena Marine Park. From Palmar Sur you have two choices; 1) go to Sierpe and take the boat through the mangroves to DB 2)continue driving all the way.

Your husband has chosen (IMO) the best place to fish. We have fished out of Puerto Jimenez, Drake Bay and Quepos and by far Quepos was the best with Puerto Jimenez as second best. There are several very good fishing outfits in Puerto Jimenez. Golfito Sports Fishing has a big fleet and they communicate with each other as to where the fish are biting. Crocodile Bay is a big fishing lodge with a high rating, a/c and tv as well as their own fleet of boats. Bosque del Cabo has the best wildlife and can easily arrange a fishing trip. When we were in DB, Fred was about the only option.

Often, people make arrangements to fish through their hotel/lodge. If he does decide to go out in Quepos you could put out the word at your hotel that your husband is looking to share a boat. Another option would be to go to the docks in Quepos and talk to the fishing outfits there directly.

Search this Thread