Search

Costa Rica experts Help

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2005, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa Rica experts Help

My family will be travelling in June. This will be our second trip to this wonderful country. Our teen have requested that we return to Tulemar Bungalows in MA. I would like to combine this with a two day stay at Rafiki Lodge for a rafting trip.

We have considered two nights at Peace Lodge. I am trying to minimize our travel time. Does Peace Lodge make sense and what sequence should we do them in. We will arrive in San Jose airport and not sure what time.

Any other suggestions are appreciated. I am driving myself crazy trying to figure this out.
Thanks
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Anyone?
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 03:18 PM

One alternative is to fly between SJ and Quepos.
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 03:28 PM

nancygol, as you know, so much depends on your arrival/departure times. I'm thinking after you book airfare and know these times, you can still work on your plan with plenty of time to spare. June isn't a particularly busy month. Your arrival time really does make a difference at to whether you go to Peace Lodge first or MA--unless, as Dariow mentioned, flying domestic is an option for you.

I think Peace Lodge would be a lovely way to end an active vacation. However, if you get in in the afternoon, say around 3:00 or so, you'll either need to start out at Peace Lodge or stay near the airport your first night.

Good luck! It will all come together nicely when you know more!
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 04:49 PM

Ditto on arrival/departure times.
And how many nights/days do you have? As for other suggestions, what are you interested in doing, seeing? What type of in country travel are you considering?

I have read some good things about Rafiki, sounds like a very fun place for many different types of people. This one is on my list for next trip.

I totally enjoyed Peace Lodge, forgive me but I have never been able to see this place for families. Obviously different strokes for different folks. Maybe with the new pool and other additions it is now more suited to families. But to me hot tubs on the balconies, waterfall showers, wines, the music, etc, seemed more directed toward couples retreats. When we were there I didn't even think the rooms would accomodate a family. They were building several new buildings, I assume some of these offer sleeping for a family.
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your help. Maybe I should consider another place rather than Peace Lodge. My daughter will be 18 and my son 16. I thought that they would enjoy it b/c it sounds so different. We would go to Poas Volcano and the waterfalls. Would Vista del Valle be a better alternative.

Shillimac, we have not made our plane eservations yet, and so I don't think that it would be a problem to arrive early. I think that we will try to do that and then drive to MA, and then to Rafiki Lodge.

I would love to hear if others feel that Peace Lodge is more for couples. I was thinking of the Monarch Villa which would,i believe, be large enough.

Thanks in advance.

Old Nov 20th, 2005, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Ss sorry Shillmac for the misspelling of your name. I have been reading your posts for many months and greatly appreciate all your great imput.
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 07:40 PM

Several months ago I stayed at the Peace Lodge (the Monarch Villa) with my family, including some preschool age children. We all had a wonderful time. The butterfly gardens, snake building and waterfall trails kept the kids busy for hours everyday.

My only caution regarding the Peace Lodge and little ones is that the wooden floors are outrageously slippery. I'm talking like ice!!!! Really dangerous for everyone, but particularly for the elderly and the very young.

On another note, we also thought that the food served upstairs for dinner for hotel guests only was pretty horrible and very overpriced. I highly recommend eating dinner at Colbert's, which is about a 10 minute drive from the Peace Lodge. Delicious and cheap!

Two nights at the Peace Lodge would be perfect. It took us less than one hour to drive there from the San Jose airport.
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 08:07 PM

nancygol:

About Vista del Valle:

You can check with them and ask for a Bungalow Suite that would be good for the four of you in one Suite.

Actually the Exotic Suite atVista del Valle, has terrific view from your front deck/balcony...however it has only one Queen size bed with a lovely Canopy.

You could get the next adjoining room/suite,then you would have this duplex cabin all to yourself with a shared kitchen in between....the problem is that it would involve a double cost.

E-mail Vista del Valle at:

[email protected]

and ask about a Suite for 4 people.

Phone is (506) 450-0800
You know that the (506) is the Country Code and not an area code.

Also their website is :www.vistadelvalle@com

But you perhaps have this information already.

Percy
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 08:12 PM

Sorry about that ..but their website is:

www.vistadelvalle.com

Scroll to the bottom and click on Photo Gallery to see all the cabins and pool area.

Percy
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 08:25 PM

We just returned from our trip and stayed at the Peace Lodge the first night. Our flight got into San Jose at 2:00 and by the time we got out of the airport and into our rental car, got some gas and groceries, and got to the Peace Lodge it was only about 4:30. We had our two kids, aged 4 and 8. They loved it! That evening we ate in the restaurant (WAY overpriced... I saw later that even the room service was much cheaper) and went to bed early after travelling all night and day. We had a standard room. It had a big bed for my husband and I and a little couch/daybed thing for one child. They then brought in another one for the other child.
The next day we spent the entire morning exploring the gardens. It was pouring, but my kids had the time of their lives. They held butterflies, frogs, snakes, and fed hummingbirds by hand. It was definitely a highlight of our entire trip. Yes, it would be a romantic place for couples, but the gardens were an outstanding experience for kids.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all this faabulous information.We are booking our flights and will be getting in at 12:45. I think that we will take the interbus to MA. There, we will rent a car and stay at Tulemar Bungalows for 4 nights. We stayed there last summer and really enjoyed it. My teens really wanted to return.

We will then go to Rafiki Lodge for two nights and go rafting.Hope it isn't too wild during the rainly season. Then we will drive to Peaqce lodge for two nights. We have a 2:00 flight so this seems very doable.

How does this sound. I have spent so many hours on this forum that I just can't believe it. It does get quite addictive. I've gotten such a wealth of information.

Thanks to all
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

I know that everyone will think that I am crazy. I called Peace lodge and made reservations for our last two nights. Next, I called Rafiki Lodge ourside of MA. They told me that this would be a 6-7 hour drive from Rafiki to Peace Lodge. We will be spending our first four nights in MA at Tulemar.

I feel that staying at Rafiki would be such a diferent experience for our teens. They are 16 and 18 and I don't know how many more family trips we will all be going on together. I want this to be special. Rafiki Lodge suggested that we stay at Villa Caletas for two nights on our way back to San Jose-this might be too much like four nights in MA. I REALLY need some suggestions. Should I bad Peace lodge?

Thanks again for the help.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 05:12 PM

nancygol--no apologies necessary. It kind of has a fun "ring" to it--shillimac!

My dos colones is to stay with Peace Lodge as planned your last 2 nights. I'm not familiar with Rafiki (sounds like a cool place), but if it is close to Manuel Antonio, it would be more like 4 hours to Peace Lodge, not 6. The central valley area up north of San Jose is a real treasure. Don't miss it!!!
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Shillmac

Thanks again for your vaulable imput. I want to get my plans confirmed so that I can continue with the rest of my life. Some of you who are on this board as much as me might understand

Arrive San Jose airport 12:45 Drive to MA and stay at Tulemar for 4 nights.

Drive to Rafiki Lodge for two nights and take the rafting trip.

Drive to Peace Lodge for two nights.

We could also break the trip up and stay at Villa Caletas between Rafiki and Peace.

Is this two many stops for 8-9 nights.

My husband thinks that Rafiki would be a very different experience for our two teens. I am open to other suggestions. I would love to cut down on the driving as much as possible.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 05:20 AM

Have you considered flying to and from Quepos? Rafiki will pick you up in Quepos or MA and return you to this same area. Then get a vehicle for your the last of your trip. Might even consider doing Rafiki before MA.

Or drive to Quepos/Ma then turn your vehicle in, be picked up for Rafiki and fly back to SJ.

Or have a driver take you to MA and fly back.

In other words mixing up things a bit and utilizing several modes of transportation to eliminate your road time.

We have not yet stayed at Rafiki, but I agree it sounds like a very interesting place. However as I understand the road up to Rafiki is slow travel.

Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

dfarmer-I had certainly considered flying but really don't like small airplanes.

I think that we will be driving this trip. Is this too much travelling around. My kids would prefer to not move around every day or two. Four nights in MA would be great. We have 9 nights to play around with. Last trip we visited Arenal and La Finca Que Ama.

All you experts , do I need to choose between Rafiki and Peace Lodge. I would love your imput.

thanks
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

I just had another thought. What about first two nights at Peace Lodge. Then drive to MA for four nights- Nest to Rafiki Lodge for two nights(90 minute drive),then our last night near San Jose. We have a 2:00 flight.

Is this too much travelling around? My kids are getting older-16 and 18 and I really want to have a great trip with them. My daughter will be going off to college soon.

Thanks again-Hope I'm not driving everyone crazy.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 12:56 PM

Sorry just reread - totally missed that you were thinking of using Interbus.

Rafiki and Peace are going to be two totally different experiences, would hate to see you drop Rafiki - certainly hope it is as cool as it seems it will be. There have been a few reports and all have been favorable.

Typically I like 3 - 4 nights per location, but in 2004 we did this much moving around and had a great trip, we used domestic flights, hired drivers, rented a vehicle - you name it - whatever got us to our next destination without backtracking. This trip we were 2 nights SJ, 2 nights Tortuguero, 4 nights Montezuma, 2 nights Peace Lodge.

btw - my two youngest are 16 and 18, I understand that going off to college!

Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 08:58 PM

nancy, I think either way sounds fine. We tend to move around a little more than most, but always have a great time. Your combination of Tulemar, Rafiki, and Peace Lodge sounds like a winner! Any order. . .