Costa Rica Adventure Help

Old Mar 31st, 2010, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

Costa Rica Adventure Help

Never been. Two single, 30's, looking for lots of adventure. Hiking, kayaking, zip lines, etc. Where to go, when to go, where to stay, what to do, tour groups to get deals from, etc. Looking for average pricing, nothing to cheap where we fear for our safety, but not the Ritz either. Or if you recommend somewhere else. Any help appreciated! Thanks!
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 06:55 AM

www.costaricaexpeditions.com

best local for CR adventures

or

www.gotmyfare.com for more budget adventures
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 07:56 AM

The Arenal area is great for adventure activities - they have the Sky Trek zip lines, kayaking at Cano Negro and at the lake, hiking at the Hanging Bridges, waterfall, and volcano. There's also caving and waterfall rappeling. It's a great trip; you could pair it with a beach location if you want beach time or go to the Osa Peninsula which has great hiking and wildlife.
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 11:13 AM

Definitely a rafting trip on the Pacuare. Lots of great hiking, kayaking, waterfall rapelling and horseback pretty much everywhere...some of the best wildlife in Osa, Tortuguero, other Nat'l park areas. Really depends on what else you want...do you want to be near a town with restaurants, shopping, etc. or more off the beaten path? What time of year?
Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 12:01 PM

If you like adventure I've got a great place for you. Its a place that most people never see in Costa Rica. Its a little community called Yorkin - located in the mountains on the Caribbean side. It is an indigenous community and they have some lodging for tourists. The only way to get there is either by hiking in (about 2 1/2 to 3 hours - not difficult but very beautiful) or by dugout canoe. You arrange for someone from the community to meet you at the town of Bambu and they take any luggage in the boat and you too if you don't want to hike in. The boat ride is beautiful as well (and they provide you with life jackets - although I never felt I needed one). You can go for just a day tour or stay overnight. I actually stayed a month and loved it. The lodge has beds, flush toilet, shower. And they will provide you with meals. You also get a chance to see how they process cacao (for chocolate), make thatch for the roof, medicinal plant garden tour, as well as indigenous crafts and activities. You can make arrangements through www.actuarcostarica.com.

The reason I like this place so much is that going there benefits the local community so much and it is something most people don't see - everyone does the typical Arenal/ Monteverde/Osa/Manuel Antonio trip. Those places are all great too - and I've visited them a lot of times, but Yorkin is something unique.

I'd also recommend going to Cahuita. I like it better than Puerto Viejo.
Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 01:11 PM

Nice info on ACTUAR, DraJ. Lots of "off the grid" travel options - thanks for posting that. I think several of those would appeal to people who have made multiple trips to CR and are looking for something different.

Jen - definitely go to Arenal, you don't mention beaches being a priority so you could think about Rio Celeste, Tortuguero or Monteverde and Osa.

You mention tour groups - GAP seems to appeal to younger travelers, most people on this forum plan their own trips.

Interbus is a reasonable option for shuttles between major areas if you aren't renting a car or hiring a driver.
Old Apr 5th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all! Sorry, I never seem to give enough description when I post. We are thinking late July (our birthdays), not sure if that's a bad time to go (bugs).? Yes, we do want some beach time. Local shopping & dining would also be great. Maybe even a massage to treat ourselves. Yes, we do want some adventure but a nice relaxing vacation too. I guess we could hire a driver, depends on where we stay. I looked up a general google search & there are SO MANY tours/adventures! Overwhelming....ugh.
Old May 25th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

volcanogirl....do you mind emailing me? I'd love to talk more about Costa Rica.
Old May 25th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Thinking a few nights in aernal and a few beach nights...
Where? All welcome to personally email me. Its a big country with lots to do out there!