Search

1st time costa rica

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st time costa rica

Experienced Europe travelers, age 50. 1st time to Costa Rica.Arriving June 2 and leaving June 12 (San Jose).
Not interested in sitting on the beach, or luxery resorts, or nightlife.
Would like to see natural beauty, vistas, history, wildlife, and local culture.
Have just started our research. Please throw out some suggestions for us!!! Thanks,
EK
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 05:55 AM

The Pacific Edge in Dominical, Savegre Lodge in San Gerardo de Dota, The Orosi Valley area is beautiful and still has a wonderful touch of local culture so lacking in many other places. It is close to Irazu volcano, Lankester Gardens, Cartago. There are some places that I like on the Caribbean side and June is a pretty good month to go. Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui area is one of our favorites. La Quinta de Sarapiqui is our favorite place to stay. An option near Cahuita is the Aviarios del Caribe. It is the buttercup sloth rescue lodge. If you are really into birding, Rancho Naturalista is a great place with some of the best food in Costa Rica-at least while we were there. They get birding groups from all over the world there. We were there with a bunch of Brits and they are nuts when it comes to birding!

I have traveled to Europe several times and I think you will find Costa Rica a very different and wonderful experience.

Happy researching.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 07:36 AM
hopabout

Hi,
I am glad to see you have a few days to adventure around.

I vote first, for Tortugero. It is one of our jungles that should not be missed. You may visit it by buses and banana boats but you also can go on tours that take you to specific lodges depending on your budget. Early a.m. and late afternoon tours by boat into the small canals are simply wonderful, viewing monkeys, caymen, sloths, tucans, and a number of other animals, snakes, iguana, lizzards, etc. This is best done with a 3 day two night tour and they depart from San Jose or Alajuela near the airport every morning.

Second... I would head up to Volcano Arenal at La Fortuna. Up there tons of things wait for you to explore. Hikes around the volcano area, horseback riding, a beautiful waterfall, if you are able bodied, very small town setting. There are both natural and luxury hot springs that make a brief experience relaxing in all that hiking and walking a delight.

Third, from there, there is a van-boat-van transfer across the lake Arenal. It is a tour in itself, as far as I am concerned. This transportation takes you up to Monteverde where the mountain top is a cloud forest and there are parks to enjoy. Monteverde is a small town with hotels dotted all over the mountain top in all price ranges. I went into the park at the top once, a few years ago and the wind was just right....the clouds awesome, and I heard music. The eco of the birds was so special it bounced off every tree and back to your listening ears.... If Natural beauty is what you seek, Monteverde is a wonderful place to go!

Back to San Jose and on out to Turialba for some history and local culture will make your trip one of a lifetime!

Every time I go....(and I live here) its a special treat!

Hopabout
[email protected]

Old Jan 24th, 2005, 03:27 PM

1. Monteverde was our favorite overall experience in CR.

2. The show that Volcan Arenal puts on is unforegettable if you're lucky enough to get a cloudless night.

I'd be happy to redo both places.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 11:18 AM

For a first time in Costa Rica, there are some highlights which you should not miss:

1. Tortuguero Canals
2. ARenal Volcano, if you are lucky you may have the change to see it at night for an unforgettable experience, besides this, the hot springs at Eco Termales are just amazing
3. one of our beautiful, unspoiled beaches, either Manuel Antonio, Tamarindo beach or Puerto Viejo at the Caribbean side (if you travel in October or March)
4. The most visited National Park, Poas Volcano, for one day tour, you could take it on your second day in Costa Rica or the last day, before returning home.
Other beautiful zone is Corcovado area, but I would recommend a minimun of 2 nights stay, however this is a more expensive area as you must travel either by plane or boat from Sierpe river, most hotels there include transportation , meals and tours
I am sure that you will enjoy Costa Rica and will defenitely come back!