coffee in mexico

Jan 29th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

coffee in mexico

Hi all,

Is it safe to drink coffee and tea in mexico? Has the water used usually been heated enough to kill all the bugs that attack us gringos ?

Mike

Jan 29th, 2008, 07:54 AM

You will only like the coffee if you prefer it very weak...most of it was awful..and often lukewarm!
Jan 29th, 2008, 08:01 AM

If you are staying in a resort that filters it's water, you should be fine, otherwise, you take a risk. I believe that the bacteria/bugs, need to be boiled, or at least brought to a higher temp than most coffee pots go.
Jan 29th, 2008, 09:57 AM

It depends. Mexico is a HUGE country. There is not one correct answer to your questions.
Jan 29th, 2008, 09:59 AM

Never had trouble with coffee anywhere in Mexico. Some places just use instant, but I have had lots of good coffee here and there. There are various coffee places, e.g. "The Italian Coffee Company" which is a chain, or independent coffee shops, many quite good. Likewise in convenience stores like OXXO coffee is pretty much the same as in the U.S. As to the "bug" question, most decent places use purified water. But I have never had trouble with coffee I have made with tap water after boiling the water first. By the way, the "bugs" attack Mexicans too, ergo the abundance of bottled water.
Jan 29th, 2008, 11:51 AM

I go to Mexico quite often do not like Mexican Coffee I bring my Dunkin Donuts with me every time I go. also my own Electric coffee pot. Dunkin Donuts, That's one thing that they haven't opened yet in P.Vallarta although they do have a Starbucks right near the Malecon. Seriously it's not bad kind of reminds me of Italian coffee which I don't like either. As far as drinking the coffee it's always been ok for us I do order Capuccino after dinner in the restaurants. Enjoy
Jan 29th, 2008, 12:00 PM

You can get some fabulous coffee in Mexico. When we were in San Cristobal last year, we brought back green beans to roast. Our B&B there served fabulous coffee. Same with the place we stayed in Oaxaca the year before.
Jan 29th, 2008, 12:03 PM

Also forgot to mention cafe de olla - that's a sweetened coffee that's delicious.