Akumal vs. Tulum?

Jan 27th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Akumal vs. Tulum?

Okay, we couldn't get any suggestions for a quiet place on IM so have decided to stay inland and are now trying to decide between Tulum and Akumal. Tripadvisor is helpful, but every time you think you've found a good one there is a horrid review or two.

Our scenario: "the babymoon". The last trip the two of us will have to spend together. The first 3 days we'll go to Merida and then would like 3-4 days to spend on a nice, quiet beach where we can fall asleep to the ocean (rather than the sound of a restaurant, bar, or wedding). Any comments for accommodations? We aren't budget travelling this round but still trying to keep around 150 a night or less.

Thanks so much! It's REALLY HARD to plan a trip online. . .
Jan 27th, 2008, 09:16 AM

I haven't been to Tulum for quite a few years, so don't have a current opinion to offer, but we did enjoy Cabanas La Conchita when we stayed there.

I plan most (maybe all) my trips on line. I think you should read the boards, check out the web sites of the places that look interesting to you, then come back with questions/opinions about specific properties.
Jan 27th, 2008, 09:28 AM

I have been researching extensively between Tulum and Akumal myself...though we will have my 12 year old son with us.

Not that I've been, but it sounds like Tulum would be better for just spending time on a beautiful beach. It sounds like Akumal is better for snorkelling, and Tulum is better for gorgeous beaches.

I would also recommend you look at 'Cabanas la Conchita'....and I would look at 'Cabanas La Luna' http://www.vrbo.com/128997. They have 2 great reviews on Trip Advisor...and I have been in contact with them and they got back to me very quickly. The property looks beautiful and they seem very nice. Good luck and enjoy your "babymoon".
Jan 28th, 2008, 02:18 PM

Yikes, the LAST trip the two of you will have to spend together? I hope what you mean is the last trip for a long time! Unless you're already really old to be starting parenthood or are planning on dying young, there really is life after kids.
But yes, it might be awhile. (Sorry I don't have any input on Akumal vs. Tulum, but I couldn't resist chiming in to remind you that probably many more trips await you and your spouse down the road.)
Jan 29th, 2008, 06:33 AM

About 50 miles west of Merida is Celestun. 10 kms out of town is Eco Paraiso Xixim. It would be perfect for a "babymoon." 15 cabins all facing the water and the most pristine beach we have ever seen. Cabins are very well appointed with a covered patio outside each one with 2 hammocks and 2 easy chairs. Food was excellent with a different menu each night. Just such a peaceful spot and plenty of side trips available to see such things as the flamingo colonies.
Jan 29th, 2008, 02:29 PM

We prefer Akumal and are going back again this May, staying at Hotel Akumal Caribe.

For a somewhat romantic place you might also want to take a look at Al Cielo at Xpuha Beach just north of Akumal