Club Med Ixtapa - safety

Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Club Med Ixtapa - safety

I am traveling with a group of women to Ixtapa later this month. Should I be concerned about safety? Any tips?

Is it safe to have drinks with ice at the resort?

Thanks!
Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 11:59 AM

Went several years ago and had no safety issues whatsoever. The water was purified in the resort so the ice was fine. You need to be more careful if you go into town (about the water, I mean!). We went into town - and again, no safety issues. As in any foreign locations, always best to travel in pairs or a group. Have a blast! That was one of our best vacations ever!!
Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 01:14 PM

Nope. Ice is safe not only at the resort but any cafe in the area. I have been going to the area spending up to 3 months for 15 years. I have yet to see a single act of Violence nor had anything bad happen to me. So relax & enjoy, but get out of the resort & visit Zihuatanejo. You will LOVE IT!
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 03:14 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
No I would not be concerned about safety for traveling in that part of Mexico. No special tips are needed. Yes the ice is OK at restaurants and resorts (most buy it from purified water plants, it's typicall delivered to bars in plastic bags like you'd see at grocery stores in the US, you can tell by looking at the shape of the cubes). I don't think you need to travel in pairs. I've spent a lot of time solo in Vallarta and some in La Paz and Cabo, 21 trips total, without EVER an incident.