Is the water safe to drink?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2007, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning a family vacation to Puerto Plata and staying in a friend's timeshare. Is the water safe in that region? I know there is always the risk of drinking bad water in the Caribbean, but I would think by now in these enormous all-inclusive resorts, there would be some kind of purification system. Any thoughts?

The last thing I need is for one or more of us to be ill in bed all week.
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 01:14 AM

if you are staying in a resort then the water should be safe. i drink bottled water when out of the country no matter what. my doc says even small changes in water source can affect your digestion, so i figure better safe than sorry on vacation. if you are out of the resort be careful of ice cubes.
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 06:22 AM

Like Virginia said, better safe than sorry. I've stayed in hotels in the Caribbean that supposedly had all bottled water systems, and had issues. It's better not to ruin the vacaction, when it's really so easy to just use bottled water.....
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 09:46 AM

Don't ever drink tap water in the Dominican Republic, even if the resort tells you that its water is safe to drink (it probably won't, but please don't take a chance). While resorts do generally have water treatment facilities, I wouldn't even brush my teeth with tapwater in the D.R.

Ice used for drinks is made with purified water and is safe at all resorts, but if it's a local place, I wouldn't tempt fate. Salads are washed with purified water as well, and in resorts they are also usually safe.
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your responses. I've been so preoccupied with researching our vacation that I didn't even think about health issues. We'll be traveling with a 3 year old and a 1 year old so not getting sick is extra important to be able to get through this vacation.

We decided to pass on DR and see the beautiful Grace Bay Beach on Turks and Caicos. We are very excited!
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 02:44 PM

doug makes a good point about not brushing your teeth with tap. don't rinse the toothbrush in it either. and no singing in the shower. i'd be especially vigilent with the kids.
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 03:19 PM

I think people with children have to be extra vigilant, but I wouldn't cancel a trip just because of the water treatment situation in the DR. Or you could simply switch to Jamaica, where the water is just fine and where there are a lot of all-inclusive resorts.
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 10:08 AM

Doug, thanks for the tips on water situation in DR. I've never been, but it's up on my list of places to consider.

Is there a quick and easy website or link that describes the water safety situation throughout the Caribbean? I guess I could just go buy a guidebook!!
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 04:14 PM

Most of the Carribean is fine. I had a problem in Mexico and came home very sick (not in the carribean, though). Places I've been that were fine are Anguilla, St. Marteen, St. Thomas, Bermuda, St. Barts, Grand Cayman, T&C, Puerto Rico and Aruba. I haven't heard of problems in most carribean islands.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 04:51 AM

The vast majority of the Caribbean does not have a problem with clean drinking water, but on most islands you wouldn't want to drink it anyway because it's produced from desalinization plants and doesn't taste very good. So most people just drink bottled water, which I recommend.

Even most of the tourist destinations in Mexico have made great strides with cleaning up their drinking water. For example, it's always been fine to drink the water in Puerta Vallarta, and Cancun is infinitely better than it has been in years past.