Is Cabo The Right Choice For Us.

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 12:01 PM
Concerned Parent

Is Cabo The Right Choice For Us.

We are a family of five. We have one teenager from a previous marriage and two small children aged 3 and 6, so our concern would be safety of eating the food, water, drink and the cost for a family vacation.

What does it cost for a family of five to eat out at regular restaurant. I do not want to go to the fast food chain route.

I would like to know how the price of groceries compare to California. What would be the price of groceries for a week stay in Cabo? I will be cooking some meals.

Is Cabo Child friendly? Do they have places for children to swim and play? Is Cabo a place where a parent would have to keep their eyes on their children at all times?
Will our son be approached by hookers and drug dealers? Will he be given the "Shake Down" by the Police?

We are comparing Cabo to an all inclusives in both Playa de Carmen and P.V.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 11:25 AM
tttt

to the top

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 01:36 PM
whata

A "shake down" by police??? Stick to Disneyworld honey, you're not ready for travel outside of Orlando.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 03:17 PM
bill simpson

Forget Cabo period. It is not child friendly unless you go to a resort that caters to families with small ones & you stay within the resort area. Cabo's reputation is one that attracts losers & boozers along with some nice folks that stay primarily in their hotel areas & the golf course The nice folks are probably the ones that got suckered into a timeshare. The downtown area is a filty dirty dump festering with strip clubs & dirty bars. As far as the police goes you stay as far away from them as possible anywhere in Mexico, especially Cabo. Oh yes, recommend you drink bottled water in Cabo & if you have a drink downtown, have it delivered unopened to your table having it opened at the table. Hope you get the picture.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 03:25 PM
PV

The Baja is generally known to be more expensive than the mainland. I've never been to Cabo (partly because of its reputation but partly I prefer mountains & jungle to desert landscape).

I've been to Puerto Vallarta a dozen+ times. It is reasonably priced, kid friendly, and the local people are lovely and welcoming. The town is very clean and well-kept. Everyone drinks bottled water and restaurants used purified water/ice (I think you'll find this true in most of Mexico). I've never heard of drugs, crime, or police shakedown of tourists in PV.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 03:41 PM
bill simpson

I agree with PV 100%. Puerto Vallarta has a completely different atmosphere & look than Cabo.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 08:58 AM
Billbought

Just another example of a post created for the sole purpose of bashing Cabo. Nice try "Bill".

Check out Forbes.com for the list of finest beach resorts in the World, it lists only the very best, most elegant resorts catering to the elite. Las Ventanas in Cabo is on the list, no resorts in PV are.

I guess Bill isn't the crowd Cabo caters to either, wealthy, sophisticated and used to the finer things in life.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 10:01 AM
Beck

[email protected] - Clearly you have a hidden agenda - primarily suckering more idiots into spending their $$ on a worthless timeshare! By no means go to Cabo, it is primarily targeted to the same crowd that goes to Tia Juana - youngsters that are only interested in getting drunk - NOTHING about Cabo appeals to those of us that are used to the finer things in life!

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 10:20 AM
billbought

Yes, my hidden agenda is to keep the common folk out of Cabo. Beck, you wouldn't know the finer things in life if they stepped on your Prada's.

Everyone I know who loves Cabo is VERY successful. They obviously haven't the time to respond on this website like the numnuts who keep hysterically bashing it do. I can only imagine what types of mid level occupations all you cabo bashers must have to come here and whine so much. Personally, I'm a housewife with lots of time on her hands to plan vacations now that the kiddies are in school, but my husband wouldn't have a minute to spare bantering on fodors, nor would any of our friends who enjoy visiting there so much. I doubt they even make it to the seedy areas of town.

Let's see, those people are a former Senior VP of Texaco, A nationally known Family Law Attorney, A Wall Street Platinum Trader and a Surgeon specializing in Gastric bypass surgery. Tell me again how these people don't know a thing about the finer things in life. Please?

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 11:21 AM
snob factor

To above poster... thanks for the warning. You just gave me another dozen good reasons not to go to Cabo!

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 11:34 AM
Margie

Why is it that this board constantly feels the need to bash Cabo?? I have been there twice with friends and with my family and we had nothing but a great time. We even bought a timeshare we loved it so much. We were never offered drugs, saw no teenage prostitutes or anything else that was seedy. Where exactly are these bad things if they are not in the downtown area?? If you don't like it please post somewhere else and stop with this nonsense.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 12:15 PM
billbought

snobfactor, You're most welcome. Perhaps you would feel more comfortable in Cancun.

Margie I don't know what posesses people to bash Cabo either. Everyone I know who's been loves it and returns frequently. Maybe there's another Cabo that some of us are (thankfully), eluding!

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 12:30 PM
x

I was just talking to a friend of mine yesterday who owns a condo outside of San Jose. She said during March, the place is loading with college spring breakers who get wildly drunk, do obscene things on the beach and the local mexican boys wait ouside until the bars close for the drunk American college girls. She also said you have to be careful with drinks served in the bars. Frequently drugs are put into the drink. She's heard about this firsthand.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 12:53 PM
The state Dept.

This is not the first report I have come across of drinks getting drugged.

Here are the State Dept. Travel Warnings that should be issued with each ticket sold to Cabo im my humble opinion.

Tourists should be wary of persons representing themselves as Mexican police or other local officials. In some instances, Americans have become victims of harassment, mistreatment and extortion by Mexican law enforcement and other officials. Mexican authorities are concerned about these incidents and have cooperated in investigating such cases. However, one must have the officer's name, badge number, and patrol car number to pursue a complaint. Please make a note of this information if you are ever involved with police or other officials.

U.S. citizens should be aware that some bars and nightclubs, especially in resort cities such as Cancun, Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, and Acapulco, can be havens for drug dealers and petty criminals. Some establishments may contaminate or drug the drinks to gain control over the patron. Victims, who are almost always unaccompanied, have been raped, robbed of personal property, or abducted and then held while their credit cards were used at various businesses and Automatic Teller Machines (ATM).

http://travel.state.gov/mexico.html

Personally I would be careful in Cabo as you do not know who you are dealing with.
A Fireman and his wife entered into a verbal dispute with a timeshare person one afternoon while on the Beach only to have the Timeshare Person and his friend return much later drunk. The end result was both he and his wife had to be air evacuated to Arizona. He suffered stab wounds her skull was injured from a rock thrown at her by these people. It was a well documented story on television news and covered in their local hometown paper.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 01:19 PM
GotoPVand

Gee, I wonder how many people are victims of stab wounds in cities all across the good old USA? How many times do we have to dredge up the fireman incident? What, aren't there any other violent crimes you can report about in Cabo, or is it just the one that happened how long ago? Give it a rest already.

STAY HOME CRYBABIES!!!!!!!

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 01:34 PM
Another opinion

So far no one yet has come up with the price for a family to buy groceries and what is cost to eat out.

If the beaches are safe or have small children drowned.

My impression of Cabo is a small fishing village exploited in the name of tourism. A influx of get rich quick Americans who have moved in and hope to sell what they are developing to other Americans who want to retire there.
By the Way Real Estate reports on other message boards has the market down by 40% and a glut of product on the market.

An influx of Americans who sell/sucker other Americans into a timeshare.

Strip Bars Galore and the sleeze and trash that are attracted to this entertainment.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 01:45 PM
what

So another, answer the question! How much for groceries? Who buys groceries on vacation? Kids have drowned, been eaten by sharks, etc. from Florida to Hawaii and everywhere in between.

Do you have a point or do you only speak Whinese? Who cares about your impressions. Who are you and why should we care what you think?

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 02:19 PM
Stay Home I agree

I agree with the Stay Home Post.

I would much rather stay home and enjoy the fine cuisine and clean enviroment of my own city than go to Cabo.

I am not saying I would not go to Mexico. I have travelled all over Mexico, Europe, Central America and Asia.

But when it comes to going To Cabo. I agree Stay Home.
It is not worth the money.

By the Way Many of these Hotel Raves?
Take a look at how they promote themselves. I was reading an industry article where some of these hotels give out freebys to Famous Name people simply to pump up the hotel name by having famous names attached to it.

Shop em out . Expensive and luxurious is a dime a dozen and can be found anywhere in the world. Many are on a beach and ocean you can swim in.

Definition of Cabo:
A desert with an ocean you cannot swim in.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 02:54 PM
bill simpson

The answer to the question of the cost of groceries in Cabo. For a gringo you will pay more than the local but expect it to be just a little less expensive than where you are presently living. However I wouldn't purchase anything at a grocery store in Cabo. You will know what I mean when you see the place. As for the cost of eating out it is expensive for what you get. Cabo is not known as the gourmet capital of Mexico by a long shot.

For Billbrought. My goodness I didn't know you & your friends were so much better than the "rest of us". We will see if you elite folks will fare any better when the maker comes a calling. For those who don't know, usually this category of Cabo visitor stays in an expensive resort facility, where their pompous asses can be patted by the cheaply paid Mexico boys & girls who work there - the rich are really in their element in these places. They think they know what is going on around them but actually they don't have a clue. They either take their meals within the resort or take a cab to & from a restaurant off the hotel grounds so to be fair they may never see the downside of Cabo. They are too busy taking care of themselves to give a damn about the poverty around them. It doesn't effect them so who gives a damn. They give a big tip, maybe, to the boy that brings them a drink but expect big things in return - it's something like toss the dog a bone attitude. Actually Billbrought you sound more like an self centered asshole than any sophisticated person I ever met.
For those who desire to know the dangers of Cabo read the warnings of the State Department, Fodors own safety instruction guide to Mexico, Frommers own safety guide to Mexico, Lonely Planet guide to Mexico. These are folks in the travel business.
Yes there are folks that drown, get mugged, get drugged, etc., etc. in other places in the world, however not with the frequently you have in places like Cabo.
Cabo is will known for its strip clubs, timeshare hucksters, whores, & the dirty cheap thrill bars & all that comes with it - that's a fact. Consider yourselves warned.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 03:03 PM
x

What a hotspot!! Can't wait to go!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information