Search

Cheap Flights to Mexico?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheap Flights to Mexico?

Hi,

I want to do some extensive travel in Mexico and want some tips about how to get the best deal flight wise. From the US and then intra Mexico. Or would it be best to travel via bus intra Mexico? Also, is it a safe country to travel in since there has been a lot of talk in the media high crime etc.

Thanks!
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 02:40 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
There are very specific areas of Mexico that are effected by what you hear on the news. A little research will get you the names of the places you'd be better to avoid.

Where are you flying from? I got a killer ticket price last month between Seattle/Cabo San Lucas on Aeromexico.

Flights within Mexico generally speaking are quite expensive, and excepting for your longest legs, would be far more economical done by bus.
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 05:15 PM

First class is generally best inside the country. If you were going to make along haul say from Mexico City to the border you should check airfare as well. Bus system is excellent.
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 05:52 PM

Don't know when you're traveling, but check out www.kayak.com . You can pick flexible dates to find the best fares. If you click the "Buzz" link, you can select Mexico/C.America and what month you want to travel for results of the best deals in recent searches, especially helpful if you have more flexibility with dates and destinations. Good luck!
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 04:58 AM

www.farecompare.com best US Mexico

Deluxe directo bus cheapest best in Mexico xport for me

Stay out of the border towns dodgy areas

Review consular advisories for a heads up

you should be fine...
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 10:33 AM

The buses are wonderful and very inexpensive. We just did a bus trip from Mexico City to Puebla - only 2 hours and about $14 US. Then Puebla to Oaxaca on first class bus. Trip was 4 1/2 hours through terrific scenery and cost about $22, I think. Some airfares are quite reasonable. Flew Aviacsa from Oaxaca back to Mexico City for around $45 each, if I remember correctly. Booked the Aviacsa on the web before we left, buses once we got there. Buen viaje!
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great tips!!! Much appreciated.

I am coming from New York but want to go to Los Angeles before I head to Mexico, thinking of flying into Mexico City.

Wow the bus does seem like they way to go with those fares! And I guess you do see more when on the road rather than in the air!

So border towns are a no go?
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 07:12 AM

Border towns are a no go for sure. Not safe, and really not that appealing anyway.

You might find that the cheapest fairs are to Cancun. If you're wanting to save money, you can start with the Yucatan...lots to see in the way of ruins, colonial towns, and beaches.

Yes, buses are the way to go within the country.