Chaa Creek vs. Blancaneaux Lodge?

Aug 1st, 2006, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Chaa Creek vs. Blancaneaux Lodge?

We are starting to plan our trip for next year- interested in staying in the Cayo District for the first several nights and then on to Amber Cay. Any advice on best places to stay in the Cayo- and best activities there? Thank you! Susan
Aug 1st, 2006, 01:00 PM

Both are great lodges. CC is in tropical foliage along the Macal River and BL is in a pine forest reserve on a creek. Thai massages at BL, Spa at CC. Both have horses and offer day trips to maya sites, caves, waterfalls, river trips and more. Look at Victoria House, Mata Chica and Portofino on Ambergris.
Aug 10th, 2006, 01:10 PM

Just stayed at Chaa Creek and Turtle Inn. Loved both. Chaa Creek was fabulous! Lots to do and see! Highly recommend Treetop Jacuzzi Suite. They are the nicest on the property.

We considered Blancaneaux because we were going to Turtle Inn. We decided against it because it was too isolated for us. We also wanted the Jungle vs Pine Forest. We met about a dozen people that stayed at Blancaneaux and they said that it was pretty, quiet and romantic. Most enjoyed the tranquility with the exception of two groups...not enough on site.

The Cayo is a very cool area. I am sure the Pine Mountain Forest is as well.

Aug 12th, 2006, 10:47 AM

We're leaving for Belize in about three weeks - staying at Chaa Creek in a Treetop Suite so I'm glad to hear that it is special!

Slight hijack -

Did you do the Tikal tour? If so, did you feel safe and was it interesting?
Aug 20th, 2006, 02:57 PM

The people I met that went to Tikal really enjoyed it. It was a long day but they felt worth it. We went to Zunachunich (spellilng) because it was so close and felt like a safer trip with kids. It was great for us but no where near what Tikal would be.

Denise and Chris, the concierges at Chaa Creek are very good. Tell them that Judy, Matt and the three kids from CA in July say Hello!
Sep 4th, 2006, 11:30 AM

I grew up in Belize, and went back as recently as Jan 06 for a visit and took a tour for my 3rd trip to Tikal. It is definitely safe and well worth it. While the ruins at Xuantunich are interesting, Tikal blows them out of the water.
Sep 4th, 2006, 02:10 PM

Thanks for the replies about Tikal. We leave on Friday and I'm getting really excited! I will post a trip report when we get back
Sep 11th, 2006, 06:05 AM

Some more questions on comparing the 2 lodges. Is Chaa Creek less isolated than Blancaneaux? I had the impression they were both pretty isolated. Blancaneaux says it offers 'river' swimming. Since it is on a creek, does that really mean creek swimming? They both look very nice - havinga hard time deciding between the two as I can't tell much difference other than Chaa Creek seems more expensive. Thanks for all the great info.
Sep 11th, 2006, 08:13 AM

Not exactly sure where C.C. is located, but BL is deep in pine forest and unless you plan on flying there, it isn't a pleasant trip down the dirt/rock road to the hotel.
Sep 11th, 2006, 04:08 PM

Blancaneaux is a little farther away from civilization than Chaa Creek, but only a little.

I've stayed at both three or four times, and it's really a toss-up as to which I prefer.

Both got Fodor's Choice ratings in the Fodor's Belize 2007, which I researched and wrote.

The road to Blancaneaux is a little rough in places, but that's part of the adventure. If someone is looking for great roads to remote lodges, probably they're looking in the wrong place!

--Lan Sluder
Sep 17th, 2006, 06:26 AM

We just got back from Chaa Creek/Turneffe Flat last night and I have to say that I LOVED both resorts.

The only thing I would have loved more about Chaa Creek would have been A/C. We stayed in a treetop suite, which was incredibly beautiful, but also incredibly hot! I also wasn't expecting that the room was "screened in" so we heard the jungle all night long - great for a first night, but hard in the long run for this light sleeper!

Search this Thread