Search

2nd Trip Itinerary Help!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd Trip Itinerary Help!

We are planning our 2nd trip to CR in Feb. We did Arenal, Sarapiqui and MA the 1st time, with much help from all of you! Now we want to try something different. I would love some advice about the following ideas for our 8 nights:

-- arrive SJO about 1:30pm

-- rent a car and go to Monteverde

- will we have time to get there?
- or is La Paz and Poas on the
way -- could go there the
first night.

-- 2 or 3 nights in Monteverde

-- then to Guanacaste - thinking
Playa Flamingo or area would be
good for us. My kids love waves,
but we are not surfers or
partiers. We want to go somewhere
where we can explore and beach it
a bit. Sandy, beautiful, playful
waves with sandy bottom. Anyone
know the perfect place??

We would stay 3 or 4 nights, then return home via San Jose airport.

Travel times and hotel ideas would be very helpful, too. Thanks!!
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 11:28 AM

Hi, You will not have time to get to Monteverde the day you fly in -- trust me, you do not want to be on that road in the dark. La Paz is only about an hour away from the airport, so that could be a good option. Villa Blanca in San Ramon is about an hour and half away, and that might keep you closer to your route -- not sure.

Sandy
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 03:12 PM

dhswor,
I agree that, by the time you get out of the airport and on your way with a rental, it will be 3:00 or later. Too late to head for Monteverde. In your shoes, I would probably choose to stay someplace that is moderately priced because you won't be there for long (assuming you'll want to get on the road to MV early the next day, probably right after your free breakfast!). I'd suggest Hotel Villa Bonita or Las Orquideas.

At the same time, if you don't mind spending the extra bucks, Villa Blanca would be a good alternative in that it would move you that direction and shave an hour or so off your travel time the next day.

Flamingo is a great choice. One of our favorite areas. It is just right there in the middle of so much. Playa Potrero, Playa Penca, Playa Hermosa to the north along the Monkey (Congo) Trail (road through the country out of Potrero). Also just a short drive south to Tamarindo, Playas Grande, Conchal, etc.

The waves at Flamingo are excellent, but do beware that there is a rock or two. As many times as we've been in the water there, we've only encountered (as I said) one or two, but they are there. It's a beautiful place, and we think the Flamingo Beach Resort is a great bargain for its location.

Have a great trip! Feb. will be here before you know it. You already know what you have to look forward to!
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 06:12 AM

Flamingo is a very pretty beach with lovely, expensive homes around it. The waves when I was there were perfect for body surfing. The town itself is not much. Only about a couple of blocks in each direction. There are some tour things to do like seeing turtles, snorkeling/diving, fishing of course. As far as restaurants go there is Maries right across the street and there was a good pizza place a short walk up the hill in "town". It has been about 3 years since I was there so that could have changed. Haven't heard about too many changes from recent reports. As far as getting out and exploring, if you have a car you can get out and visit Playa Conchal, Playa Hermosa, Tamarindo, Rincon de la Vieja and the little town of Potrero. If you want to get out and explore by foot, not much to see or do unless you want to walk the road to Potrero which is about a 30minute or so walk depending on how fast you go. It always ended up being longer for me because I am always looking for something. I saw monkeys there and a few good birds.

It was 4 hrs from Flamingo to Monteverde in a private van with no stops.

Playa Hermosa is only about 20 mins or so from Liberia and is another nice option.

Villa Blanca is a very pretty place. Not exactly the cloud forest that I was expecting as it is set in a huge dairy farm. There is some beautiful cloud forest to hike in though. We had a fairly clear day when we got there and could actually look down and see La Fortuna and most of Arenal. There is a play room with a pool table, tv, dvd player and also a movie theater for rainy days. The service was excellent. Food was a little uninspiring but we were the only guests there at the time and we only called that morning to tell them we were coming. My husband was there in July as well and thought the food was wonderful.

It only took us 1 1/4 hr to get to the airport a couple of weeks ago from there. We had good traffic flow except for the trip through San Ramon where they were having their festival. A few detours were needed but easy enough.
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your great advise. I am trying to decide between a few different places in Guanacaste. The Flamingo Beach Club, Hotel Brasilito, and a condo rental on Playa Conchal in the Condor Heights in the Catalina Cove development. It looks beautiful, but the ocean looks so far away! They say it is a short walk to the beach. Is anyone familiar with it?

In Monteverde, I am considering Hotel Montana de Monteverde, Belmar hotel, and Arco Iris Lodge. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 08:45 PM

Not familiar with Flamingo Beach Club--do you mean Flamingo Beach Resort? This is a great place to stay location-wise. They've done some renovations recently. It is a very good value. Playa Flamingo is such a nice long beach, and those sunsets!

Also, you might check into Bahia Del Sol in Potrero. Someone posted recently on staying there. Potrero is more rural and that has its appeal. Also, from Potrero you can get to Pan de Azucar (Sugar Beach) and Hotel Sugar Beach. It gets good reviews--sort of isolated--rocky, not so good for swimming. I think your children would be happier at Playa Flamingo.

Hotel Brasilito is one of our favorite places to stay, although it's been awhile. Noticed in July that they have added AC--that's a good thing! Very basic, but RIGHT on the beach (although the beach is right there in the town, so is a busy beach with people back and forth in front of the hotel and a rather noisy, but fun, bar right next door).

If you get Hotel Brasilito, you MUST request one of the 2 beachfront rooms (otherwise I'd not stay there). There are some outstanding restaurants in Brasilito as well. Camaron Dorado, Happy Snapper, Perro Plano to name a few. . .Also, from HB, it is just a 5 minute walk up to Playa Conchal, a very pretty beach.

3 years ago, I spent a couple of nights at Condor Lodge. It is across the bay, and can be seen from Flamingo or Brasilito or Conchal beaches. That's the only "Condor" I know of, but am sure that there is probably development going on over there now--I'm guessing it is near that place. If it is, just know that the road to get to it is rather long and rough and definitely off the beaten path. I'd check that out thoroughly if I were you. I'd not choose to stay over there again. . .I don't think. Find out the exact location. Is it near Playa Real and the town of Matapalo?
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Shillmac, thank you for your help. I do think I would like the Flamingo area too, and have found another condo - it looks beautiful and it is in the Flamingo Marina Resort - it right on the oceanfront. Any opinions on their location would be great! Thanks.
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 07:21 AM

I can honestly say I don't know a thing about it! We have always stayed at Flamingo Beach Resort and like it so much we've not checked into other places. Have not been to the Marina Resort property. I don't think you'll go wrong in this area, though.

By the way, you should know that there is a couple at FBR who run a little salon on the premises. Chris and Caroline from France. She gives fabulous massages for $50. He does hair if you're in the need a a color touch up or cut while you're down there!