Cdmx??? Df?

Old Jan 7th, 2020, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Cdmx??? Df?

I've been there many times and know many locals. Unless things have changed, everyone calls the city
DF. What is the correct abbreviation. or the one in use by local residents? I'm in Mexico right now and when I speak to Mexicans, they all refer to their capital as DF or, if they talk about Neza or one of the many outlying areas, they say "el estado de Mexico."

Looking for answers from those who know Mexico well and who speak Spanish.
Old Jan 7th, 2020, 09:01 AM

Officially, it's 'CDMX' due to a mostly political /administrative change put in place a few years ago. But it's a bit cumbersome to use that abbrevation as compared to simply 'DF'. If you use DF, you'll be understood but maybe corrected by the super-pedantic. But the reverse I suppose will be true as well. Since I live in the country, I simply use 'México' when asking where people are from, or where I'm going, etc, and likewise most chilangos simply use México in that context too. I've found that if I'm in the states most people from CDMX/DF these days refer to themselves as being from 'Ciudad De Mexico' to distinguish between CDMX and the rest of the country.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...al-district-df
Old Jan 8th, 2020, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Baldone, thank you! I took an informal survey last night, of a few Mexicans living here in Merida but originally from DF and environs; they mentioned that adminstrative change. When I asked where they were from, no one said CDMX; a couple said DF, but most did say "Ciudad de Mexico," apart from the two from that suburb I can never remember the name of, Itzapalapa or something like that.

Interesting to no one but me, I am sure, but almost all the Mexicans I meet or know in the NYC area come from those suburbs, not from the actual city. I think, but not sure, if those are part of DF, or are in Estado de Mexico..must look up this.... And of course there are tons of people in NY area from Puebla and Oaxaca.

Did I mention how I love it here?

I love it here!!
Old Jan 8th, 2020, 05:44 PM

[QUOTE][Did I mention how I love it here?

I love it here!!/QUOTE]
Well, you just need to pull the trigger and move...
Merida and much of the Yucatan is an area where we've not yet done much exploring, save for Holbox & Isla Mujeres. One of these days...
As far as the CDMX/DF thing being of interest, both my wife and I enjoy learning/knowing some of the idiosyncrasies of the language. Just makes for a richer travel experience, IMO.