Car rentals?

Old Jul 11th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Car rentals?

I have been reading accounts of car rental experiences to finalize our rental, however most are dated and a lot could happen in a years time. Would anyone care to share their recent experiences in regard to Thrifty, Alamo, and TriColor? Thanks ever so much!
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 04:06 PM

We just returned and had a great experience with Tricolor. We rented a Nissan Grand Vitara 4x4 for 13 days for about $690. Roberto at the San Jose Airport office was very nice and helpful. The vehicle was perfect.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 04:07 PM

I had a great experience renting from Tricolor last month. I made the reservation via their free 1-800 number. They delivered the car to my hotel in Alajuela in the morning right at 9am as scheduled. I was in the middle of breakfast but he told me to take my time eating while he did the paper work. The car was a 2005 Terios with only 8000 kilometers. He noted all the previous scratches and even put down a few exters "just in case". All the tires were in good shape and I was shown where the jack was located and they also had 24 hour emergency numbers to call if there was any sort of problem. I was also given a pretty good map.

We drove the car a little over 1000 kilmeters all over CR on some REALLY BAD roads in all sorts of weather and had no problems.

The car cost $350 for 10 days which was the lowest rate that I could find.

The car was also picked up from the same hotel in Alajuela on our last night in CR and we had no problems with the pick up.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 04:28 PM

We had a fine experience with Paos. They picked us up at the airport. We weren't sure how to get there especially after 1 & 1/2 hours through imigration and when we walked out of the airport the guy was there with a sign with our name on it. That seems to be the usual way to get picked up at the airport. There wasn't a line at that car rental place and we were in there and out of there in no time. Everything was as we expected it and they gave us great directions. We couldn't have been happier with our experience. We liked using a local car rental co.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 08:20 AM

Hello.

Click on my name and read my posts. They should help you out.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 10:24 AM

Tricolor was great for us. They handled everything well. We reserved in advance through their Alajuela office. Spent our 1st nice at the inexpensive Hotel Villa Bonita, which is 5 minutes from the airport and convenient to the Alajuela car rental places.

We rented an automatic Suzuki Grand Vitara XL7 4x4, and it got us up to Monteverde. We paid $730 including taxes, mandatory minimum insurance, and free mileage. This was supposedly a discounted price. It has seat belts for 7 people, but we felt crowded with 5 people and luggage. I would recommend this vehicle for 4 adults and luggage.

Many vehicles in Costa Rica are smaller, with less space, than similar cars you might try to compare them to in the USA. (My engineer son looked up the inside dimensions for me and we compared!)

The roomiest vehicles we saw anyone driving in costa Rica were Toyotas. I think there's a Toyota rental place somewhere, maybe in Alajuela, but I have no idea if they are a reliable office.

There are 2 types of car insurance for the rental cars. There is mandatory insurance and there is full coverage. You have to buy the mandatory insurance, but if you have a Platinum credit card like Platinum Master Card, it will provide the full coverage. Otherwise you would have to pay for that as well at the rental agency.

Tricolor picked us up from our hotel and dropped us off at our hotel when we dropped off the car. They were friendly and helpful and delivered everything as promised.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 10:30 AM

colavecd, one more thing to add to my above comments, we just returned from our June 2005 trip so my info is current. Also we rented a cell phone from a company which comes into the Tricolor office at your request and rents you a cell phone. However, we had 2 cell phone problems: 1, cell phone service wasn't available when we needed it, for example the phone lines went down after a storm at one hotel but there wasn't any cell phone service either from that location. 2) when it was time to return the phone, the cell phone guy couldn't come right away, so he had to arrange to meet us at our hotel. This would have been okay, except that we were planning to take the shuttle into San Jose and do some shopping and maybe dancing. We had to cancel this because we had to meet the cell phone guy to return the cell phone. It was inconvenient. However, this cloud has a silver lining. It turned out the Hotel Bougainvillea had such a beautiful garden and an attractive pool and sauna that we were content to stay at the hotel and have dinner in the end!

However I wouldn't rent the cell phone this way again. It's not Tricolor who sells you the phone, they just offer the convenience of a 1-stop service if you want the cell phone company to come into the Tricolor office.