car rental in Cappadocia?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did anyone rent a car in Cappadocia...specifically, rented the car at the airport and drove to your hotel and then used the car during your time in Cappadocia and drove back to the airport at the end? How was your experience driving in the area and to/from the airport?

What navigation did you use (we are planning to use our Garmin Europe 2013 add on). Any other advice or caution on driving in this area? Or should we avoid driving between the airport and hotel?

(I'm talking specifically about car rental only and driving yourself...not renting a car with hired driver)
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

one more thing - I already know gas prices are sky high in Turkey...so looking for any other advice/caution on driving in Cappadocia and to/from airport other than gas prices

Thanks!
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 07:15 PM

Here is an excerpt from my trip report. We picked up the car near the Kayseri airport. It was anything but a major compamy maybe Kayseri Means Never Having to Say You're Sorry.

There wasn’t anyone to reclaim the rental car. Someone was supposed to meet us curbside. Nevsehir airport is one of those places where all three gates lead to the same plane, so they do not have car rental windows, kiosks, parking lots, or banners. A fellow with an official looking laminated credential tells me to move the car. I tell him it is a rental, that no one is here to retrieve it, and I wave the agreement as evidence which he asks to read. He calls the phone number on the contract than motions to accompany him and give him the key. After a perfunctory inspection, he drives the car away but not before some how assuring me that is all OK.

The same thing happened when he rented a second car and wanted to drop it off in Cesme. No one was there to accept it.
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 07:20 PM

I rented through www.economycarrentals.com always found them satisfactory and usually cheapest. We picked the Fiat up at Kayseri airport drove for three days and returned it there without problems. Fuel cost is not really a big issue with a small car driven economically and roads are generally good....and the convenience is priceless!
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 07:24 PM

...and yes,at Izmir airport no one there to give it to.
Took the paperwork to another company desk who rang the agent for us and it worked out ok
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 08:00 PM

We used www.economycarrentals.com as a broker to rent a car from Izmir to Kayseri. We stayed overnight in Kayseri (our flight was very early in the morning) and the rental agency came to pick up our car at the hotel. No problems.
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 08:16 PM

we used budget rent a car. There was no one at the booth when we arrived but the security guy phoned the number at the booth and the Budget rep showed up in five minutes. He was waiting for us at the baggage carosel but we went to another place to get our luggage (long story). Anyhow the reps were great, the car was great and drving was fine. They gave us a Tom Tom which was terrible.

I would highly recommend a Garmin, your own sounds great. The turkish people where fantastic however to help us with directions.

I did not find fuel prices an issue. We drove for 10 days and dropped at Izmir.