Search

Cancun with kids

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cancun with kids

My wife, my six year old son and 3 year old daughter are going to Cancun December 27 - January 3, 2008 from our home in southern California. We are staying at the Hilton Cancún Golf & Spa Resort.

The last time I was in Cancun was in 1996. I was single with no children. (Obviously, a much different vacation.)

Our children are reasoably well traveled. Both have been to Hawaii, Canada, Cabo San Lucas and spent a day in Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta during a cruise.

My son really wants to see "Pyramids." Since Egypt was out, we thought Mayan ruins were the next best thing.

When I was in Cancun in 1996, we went to Tulum but passed on Chitin Itza because of the long drive. We really don't want to miss it this time. My question is, are there any kid friendly tours to Chitin Itza that anyone could recommend? I remember it being a full day excursion and wonder if we can pull it off with children.

Can anyone recommend additional family friendly activities. I have heard of Xcaret and wonder if it is suitable for all ages.

Fortunately, our hotel has a kids program so our kids will be covered for a couple of days. We did want to plan some activities for the whole family.

Lastly, do we need to rent a car? In 1996 we relied upon public transportation and that was fine.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Old Nov 8th, 2007, 04:07 AM
Original Poster

Also, any restaraunt suggestions would be great.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

help.
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 01:37 PM

Instead of taking a tour to chichen itza, rent a car, drive there and stay over night. That way you can enjoy it at the kid's pace.
My sons grew up going to Cancun every Christmas and they just loved being able to snorkle on our beach. Don't know if that is possible at the Hilton since I haven't been there in many years.
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Susie
Old Nov 10th, 2007, 06:25 AM

My son (now 14) was into Egyptian pyramids at that age too. He will love Chichen Itza. Great suggestion to stay the night there - Hacienda Chichen is where the archeologists stayed when they were excavating Chichen...hopefully you can get a room.

There are other pyramids in the area - Coba (where you can still climb), Tulum (along the sea; no climbing) and Muyil (nice jungle setting; no climbing).

Old Nov 10th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Pepper. I will look into getting a room for the night.
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 05:52 AM

Many years ago we stayed at
Club Med Arqueologica Villa Hotel and it was also within walking distance. We also went to Coba once and they have a hotel there also.