Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Cancun - Ritz, Ruins, Restaurants and Rum!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 01:12 PM
Frank

Dear Travel Forum Experts, <BR><BR>I am taking my wife to Cancun for our 9 year wedding anniversary. Money is not an object. We want to have the best 3 days of our lives. We are staying at The Ritz Carlton. Any advice on Ruins, Restaurants (5 star) and Rum (meaning bars)? Is it possible to charter a flight to the Ruins? Also, maybe travel to PDC or Isla Mujeres. We really want to enjoy ourselves.<BR><BR>Thanks in advance.<BR><BR>Frank

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 09:32 AM
Patty

Yes you can fly to Chichen Itza for a day trip - I've heard this is a great way to see it as you will arrive before all of the tour buses. There is a very good driver that works out of the Ritz Carlton by the name of Jorge. He has a suburban and can take you anywhere you want along the Yucatan coast - a nice itinerary for the day would be Tulum, Akumal bay or Yalku lagoon for snorkeling, and PDC. We hired him for 2 days and explored all of the seaside towns between Cancun and Tulum. We also chartered a powerboat (our first choice was a sailboat but they were booked) to Isla Mujeres for the day - they anchored off of Playa Norte for us to swim and explore the beach/town and then near a reef for snorkeling. Since you only have 3 days, are you sure you want to do all of this? The Plantation House on the lagoon side has a nice atmosphere (if a bit formal for Cancun) and great food. Have fun!

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 12:46 PM
Tonja

Frank,<BR>Cancun is a great short vacation spot. My Cuz and I went a couple of years ago and stayed at an All-Inclusive,, no problems whatsoever. We met a chef at our pool who has a restaurant you must go to! It's called Sasha's Bistro and is located in what is called Downtown Cancun. It's a small place with just Alex the chef and one waiter. The food is absolutley to die for. Alex has toured many countries opening up restaurants as head chef. He opened the Ritz in Cancucn and decided to stay. Alex is a wonderful entertainer, we watched him prepare our meals, he's great. You should ask him about his cigar room in the back too! His prices are reasonable as well. Hope you go, you won't be disappointed!<BR>

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 10:02 AM
Frank

Thanks Ladies. Great ideas so far!<BR><BR>Frank<BR>

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 07:29 AM
Dougout

Dear Frank - Having been to Cancun several times I would strongly suggest for your anniversary that you have dinner at LaHabichuela restaurant in the garden patio. Check out the restaurant reviews under Fodors. Unless you really don't like seafood, this is the best restaurant and setting in the area. Have fun! DCE

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 11:11 AM
Nancy

Hi Frank,<BR>Maria Bonita is also very good...<BR>Ritz service is unparalled - you'll have a great time.<BR>Agree with flight to Chichen Itza - a must see. If you're really a ruin nut, Tulum is beautiful, on the water, and about an hour south by luxury coach.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 12:43 PM
Frank

Thanks everyone. Dougout, is the La Habichuela restaurant on the Water?

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 05:16 PM
dougout

Hey Frank - LaHabichuela is not on the water, but the garden setting is really quite unique. It's lush private and very romantic. Also Armando, the owner, is very particular about service and it is truly impeccable. My favorites are Ceviche to start, Caesar salad prepared tableside, CocoaLabichuela for the entre, Bananas flambe for desert and last a cafe Irlandes to top it off. It is a lot of food but seems to go down well over two hours of unhurried service. If you can get Juan as your server as he has been there a LONG time. For a good lagoon view try La Dolce Vita, Italian or La Distilleria or the Plantation House. Pat O'Briens is fun but not gourmet and a little goofy with the drinks on the head etc.<BR><BR>Finally we did eat at Lorenzillos and did not really like it due to the lack of atmosphere and hurried service. For the money try something else. <BR>Best of luck!<BR><BR>

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 05:52 AM
Barry

Ritz is the number one for hotel. My suggestion for dinners (3 nights): LaHabichuela - make sure you book a table in the garden patio. La Distilleria - it has the best cocktails in Cancun and try to be there before 6:30pm as you can enjoy the beautiful sunset in the patio by the lagoon. Club Grill - a slightly more formal dinner in your hotel. I prefer La Distilleria over La Dolce Vita along the lagoon because you're in Mexico so you should probably try Mexican food, and the Italian food in Cancun is just average. Chichen Itza is a good trip and you might consider driving. Consider it'll take only 2.25 to 2.50 hours between Ritz Carlton and Chichen Itza (door to door), it may actually be faster than flying (By the way, I did it last week).

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 07:52 AM
frank

Thanks guys. Dougout, I have now made reservations at Lahabichula and I plan to go to La Distelleria for drinks per Barry's suggestion.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 08:00 AM
Michelle

Frank, <BR><BR>I too want to visit C-Itza via plane rather than the long bus ride. I found two companies that fly to C-Itza. Go to www.mayariviera.com/tours/aferinco/index.stm that company has two flights, one that leaves at 8am and one that leaves at 1:30pm. There is an open bar on board, a flight over C-Itza, van from the airport to the ruins, admission fees paid, english speaking tour guide, and free time for exploration. The price is $119.00 plus airport taxes and your beverage at lunch. There is another company that also has flights. go to www.cancunvista.com/toursbyair/airtours_returncancun.htm<BR><BR>This company will pick you up at your hotel, fly you to C-Itza, english speaking tour guide, 1.5 hours free time, access to the pool w/towel service, entrance fees paid. They leave at 7:30am and 1:30pm. The price for this company is $138.00<BR>Hope this information helps, I couldn't find a charter company that provided flights.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 01:12 PM
Dougout

Barry - Excellent call on the Italian food in Cancun. Have you been to Maria Bonita? I read a lot of good things but having been there I found the noise and over active servers annoying. Just mho

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 04:35 PM
Frank

Thanks Michelle. The Concierge at the Ritz is now helping me with an all inclusive charter. Although, the charter that she mentioned only departs on Moday's, Tuesday's and Thursdays and has to have at least 18 passengers for the rate of $220 per person to be valid. <BR><BR>Dougout, thanks for the Pic. Looks like you guys had a great time! I will definately bring my snorkel gear. In your opinion, what bay or lagoon is the best for viewing marine life?<BR><BR>Frank<BR><BR><BR>

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 06:56 PM
Dougout

The pic was taken on the beach at a place just south of Puerto Morelos owned by a Frenchman who uses it as a tour from Cancun called Snorkel Adventure. It is a full day so maybe not for you this trip but a lot of fun.<BR><BR>The tour guide is a Canadian named Jean-Marc aka John or Juan who is a free spirit and wonderful host. I knew it would be fun with Tequila at 11 am in the aviator bar. Great marine life there but again a full day trip. Others say the snorkeling off Isla Mujeres is good but I don't know. Xel-Ha is also a great big giant aquarium but is also a full day trip as it is South of Playa Del Carmen. Maybe other can help! DCE, CFP, bfd

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 05:29 AM
Barry

Dougout - I went to Maria Bonita a few years ago and did not quite remember my experience there. LaHabichuela was the only restaurant that I truely enjoyed and liked to return. I live in Toronto where I believe has the best Italian food outside of Italy. One visit to La Dolce Vita was enough for me to forget about trying Italian food in Cancun. I rented a car on my recent trip to Cancun, which allowed me to explore some wonderful places south of Cancun along the coast. I managed to find a few places where I could dine on the beach within feet from the ocean. The food tend to be more down to earth, and you won't be served by over active waiters.