Search

Cancun & Swine Flu?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cancun & Swine Flu?

We're planning a trip to Cancun for Thanksgiving week and are concerned about swine flu still.....has anyone got any updates as to the flu situation in Cancun? Also we wanted info on the Paradisus Riviera Cancun....we heard the resort was shutting down many of the resturaunts due to low occupancy.....and that the beach is rocky? Can anyone shed some light for us?

Also looking for ideas for day trips from our resort. Thanks!
Old Oct 18th, 2009, 10:33 PM

We've been to Mexico three times since the end of May including the Riviera Maya in July and I caught the H1N1 here in September.
I think it's pretty naive to think Mexico has more cases of flu than any other country.
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 03:36 AM

The schools here in east central Iowa are full of H1N1 flu. My youngest son has it. My dentist's three kids have it. It's every where, hence, the term 'pandemic'.

The biggest concern about flu and Mexico would be the plane ride, and that's going to be true where ever you decide to travel.
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 03:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Swime flu is now all over the world. Go and enjoy!
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 03:55 AM

I was in Playa del Carmen and flew in and out of Cancun in March, May, June through July, and again in September. I'm flying down on Nov 21 again. There have been no outbreaks there that I know of. Yes, occupancy is down because it is slow season and due to economic conditions in many areas that have tourists come to the Riviera Maya on vacation, this has been a particularly slow, slow season. It has nothing to do with the flu. As was said above, there is more flu concerns in other parts of the world and here in the U.S. there is a lot of it.
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

I know Swine Flu is all over! I was just asking if anyone had heard of an over abundance in Cancun. I am a bit concerned for the plane ride. I wonder if a face mask will help to not catch something on the plane ride. Does anyone have any ideas for day trips from Cancun? And has anyone stayed at the Paradisus Riviera Cancun? It seems to have gotten good reviews on TripAdvisor but just curious as to another sites opinions.
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 09:53 AM

To my knowledge, there has been virtually no H1N1 in Cancun or the Riviera Maya in general. I was also there in May and know lots of folks who've been there recently and no one has said they saw or were even concerned about getting it anyplace outside their US communities. The biggest worry is if they get it here, they won't be allowed to travel to Mexico.
Health precautions were and continue to be taken more seriously in the Cancun airport than any US airport. You will get a questionaire to complete and your temp taken as you arrive in Mexico and as you leave.

I think the face masks are all but useless and you'll be the only one wearing one.
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 10:14 AM
KVR

Not famailar with the Paradisus. As for day trips, go to Chichen Itza, Tulum, Xel-Ha, Xcaret, Coba, Ferry over to Isla Mujeres. Go to Aqua World in Cancun for jet skis, water boats/jungle tour and snorkeling. Go to the Isla mall and do some shopping. There is an aquarium there also. The La Margaritas resturant has excellant margaritas and does a show at night. Do the bar hopping tour if you drink. We had a great time. It doesn't go to Congo Bongo, so go there also. All these can be booked directly with your hotel's tour desk or you can do a google search and find tour operators and book ahead. We usually book ahead.

We are returning to Cozumel in December. Not worried about any flu.
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 12:41 PM

I don't understand the comment that it is "naive" to think Mexico has more cases than other countries. The incidence does vary by country, and there are some countries that have more than others, what does naivete have to do with it. Some countries are on the increase, such as some Caribbean countries, and others are on the decrease and have apparently already peaked (like Brazil). Maybe I'm just naive to think it varies by country, however I work in public health so receive vital statistics and morbidity/mortality reports. It's a perfectly reasonable question and in fact, it would be foolish to think that all diseases have the same incidence in every country in the world.

WHO pandemic reports and statistics show Mexico at about the same position in the timeline as Canada and the US, however. Which means rates are increasing just like in the US, there are more per month recently. The vast majority of the very serious cases in Mexico have had underlying conditions, however. I think Barbados and St Lucia have some of the most severe cases now, have a worse health situation, and are high intensity.

Mexico now has around 9,000 new cases a month of H1N1 and the US also has about that number in the last month or so. Of course, the US population is about three times as large as Mexico's, so it is worse in Mexico in terms of incidence rates. They learned from experience last Spring, however, and are treating people earlier so it shouldn't get as bad. Mexico has had 20,000 cases since early September, whereas the US has only had 13K.

I have not read anything special about Quintana Roo, however, so I don't think it is particular bad there.