COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Crime in Cancun/Maroma area... switch to Bahamas?

Old Mar 29th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Crime in Cancun/Maroma area... switch to Bahamas?

We were planning to go to Secrets Maroma this fall, but we've been hearing about the Mexican drug wars in the media, and we're concerned about traveling to Mexico. Can anyone who's been lately give your thoughts on this?

Also, if we decide not to go to Mexico, our next pick is the Bahamas. Can your recommend a place in the Bahamas that would be along the same lines at Secrets Maroma, which is all-inclusive? We don't necessarily need adults-only though. Please share your experiences. Thanks!!
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 03:09 PM

The drug-crime problems in Mexico are taking place in the Acapulco area and in border towns, though I'm sure there's sporadic drug violence in other places. I wouldn't hesitate to go to Cancun. I've seen absolutely no reports of problems during the busy spring-break season. Furthermore, crime in the Bahamas is up significantly this year, especially in Nassau. If it were me I would not change my plans nor give this another thought.
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 03:57 AM

We returned from the Riviera Maya two weeks ago. We didn't encounter any situations that made us feel unsafe. It was really a non-issue in that area. Judging from how busy the airport in Cancun was, no one else was concerned about it either.
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 04:56 AM

The violence is taking place in the border towns mainly on the west coast of Mexico...no where near the Cancun area.
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 04:57 AM

I am here now and live here part time in Playa del Carmen which is not far from yourr hotel. People are out and about enjoying the beach, restaurants, and life in general. The weather has been perfect the past week. The stories you are hearing are for areas that are in other sections of Mexico. It's a large country. If there were the hint of problems in this area I would not be here. I travel to the area every six weeks or so.
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 05:40 AM

Most of the crime is on the border - a looong way from the Yucatan. If you were going to Virginia, would you be concerned about drug wars in Detroit? Of course no place in the world is perfectly safe, but we've been to this part of Mexico many many times and never felt any danger.
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 06:32 AM

I agree with the other posters. We got back from Riviera Maya about 2 weeks ago. We've been to that area about 6 times in the past 10 years or so and didn't notice anything different as far as security this time. The resort was as crowded as ever, actually more so we thought! We had a wonderful time and would go back in a second. Just be smart, stay in the tourist areas, just as you would at any time and you'll have a great trip!
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 06:32 AM
KVR

The only resorts that come even close to the Secrets in the Bahamas is the Sandals Royal Bahamain in Nassau and Sandals Emerald Bay in Exuma. However, they cost way more than Secrets and personally, to me, they don't hold up to any resort we've ever stayed at in Mexico.

If you are really concerned about the information you've heard about Mexico, try doing more research. Check the actual locations that are being talked about and then see how close those areas are to where you'll be staying. Also check out the crime rate on other Caribbean Islands. You'll be suprised to discover that they all have their own problems, and just aren't highlighted when the media is not talking about it on your TV.

Personally, I hope the media keeps fasely attacking Mexico and scaring away potential tourists. It keeps the prices down so we can go more often.
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

thanks so much for all your comments! i feel much better now!!
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 07:49 PM

Just piling on- we were there in February, and we were never even uncomfortable. I walked from and to the bar and our hotel in Tulum by myself without a cell phone on the way there without hesitation or problems, and I am very, very cautious.

We left the car unlocked a few times with no problems, and we always left stuff in it.