Search

Cancun AI for people who hate AIs?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cancun AI for people who hate AIs?

Subj: AI for people who hate AIs?

We’re a family of 4 who have traditionally spent spring break off the beaten path. We usually rent a house, rent a car, and spend our vacations exploring, hiking, meeting the locals, and kicking back on the beach. However, kids (ages 12 and 13) are wanting something more “civilized” - activity options, food they recognize, people their age, great pools, etc. As they put it, “more plastic.” So… any ideas for places that might appease them and be at least tolerable for Mom & Dad?
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 04:43 PM

Nope, I think an AI is an AI. However, I remember being that age and fighting my parents on where to go for vacation (guess what, my vote didn't count). But I will tell you the best trips were actually camping trips. Tons of kids my age. I wouldn't necessarily recommend tent camping, but how about something like a dude ranch out west? I worked with an attorney who took his family to one (kids around your kid's age) and everyone loved it.
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 03:47 AM
KVR

I have to disagree. Not all AI's are created equal. You get what you pay for. I've read lots of misconceptions from people who haven't been to any AI's or tried it once or twice and didn't care for the concept. We've been to 13 AI's over Mexico and the Caribbean. We have more experience with adult only resorts than family friendly.

We prefer the Playa del Carmen/Riveria Maya area of Mexico over Cancun. Check out the Iberostars, Barcelos, and the RIU's. The Occidental Xcaret is nice with a great pool and offers free entrance to Xcaret Eco Park.

Also look at the RIU and Occidental in Aruba.

The Dominican Republic has many really nice, large, family friendly AI's. Most are considered "complexes, because it's best not to venture off the properties unless your on a scheduled tour.
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 04:07 AM

There are so many restaurants in Cancun, and unfortunately, so many of them American chains, that choosing an AI because the kids want recognizable food isn't worth while. I imagine you can spend a week in CUN without eating a tortilla, rice or beans. Also, there are so many hotel options there, deluxe to budget, more or less, that you can simply check in somewhere and eat where you like. If you go at a school break time most all will have kids. Absent some place I've not really seen, there is no such thing as an adventurous AI. If you are focused on hotel led activities, however, then maybe an AI is your best option. Look south to PDC too, where there are lots of nice AIs, I think.
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 12:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Take a look at Akumal, south of Cancun. While they have the dreaded AIs, they also have a hotel and several condo places. Very family oriented, sure to be lots of kids.
Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 08:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I visited Cancun for the first time last summer and actually thought it would be a good place to do an AI. I wish I would have done one instead of spending too much money for the Ritz Carlton (which frankly, underwhelmed me) and Fiesta Americana. I found the restaurant scene in Cancun not so great (a world of difference from, say, Puerto Vallarta). There are tons of AIs in Cancun and Playa Del Carmen to choose from.