Canapy Tours

Old Dec 16th, 2003, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Canapy Tours

Thinking about doing a canapy tour in Manuel Antonio. Just wondering what exactly is a canapy tour and is it really worth the time.

Is it just a type of thrill ride in an amusement park or is it really something special.

Please note, i only have 3 days in Manuel Antonio and want to know if it is really a must-do activity. Any thought would be appreciated.
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 10:50 AM

The last I heard, there were three canopy tours in the area, there may be more now.
The three I know of are Canopy Safari, Dream Forest Canopy and Rainmaker. Rainmaker is a walking tour on suspended bridges, the other two are tarzan-style on zip lines. I have not been to any, and whether you think it's worth it is only a decision you can make. But I will say that Canopy Safari was recommeded as "more of an experience" with swimming and a picnic included. I personally would think you'd see more wildlife on the Rainmaker Tour, because just how much can you see if you're flying through the trees on zip lines?
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 10:51 AM

What's CANAPY?
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 10:05 PM

We did the canopy safari tour last summer (myself and two teenagers). We all found it worthwhile and great fun. It's definitely not for wildlife viewing, but it is for having an unusual adventure in a gorgeous setting. Canopy safari is set in remote forest, among treetop platforms. You zip over forest, creeks, and through trees.

You meet people who are challenging themselves to do this and end up buddies. One of the best parts was the end of the tour swim in a gorgeous river.

Recommended.

Many good things to do in MA. The park is a must. Canopy tour was great. River rafting on the Savegre was a highlight. Butterfly farm is a good filler. Eating at Mar Luna is a must.
Old Dec 28th, 2003, 08:36 PM

Hi,

First, what you're refering to are zip lines that take you from platform to platform in the tree tops of a rainforest. Not all are the same, but the one I did was located at RIOSPARAISO biological reserve on a tour run by Gaialink tours and services. You safely sit in a harness attached to the zipline. I was a little nervous but it was VERY safe. The platforms are VERY VERY HIGH and the zip lines are VERY VERY LONG. There are several lines on one run, and you do them all. It is AWESOME. VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. You zoom way way up in the air and look down and the river below is like a thread. IT IS INCREDIBLE. You literally go back and forth over a valley.

Anyway, this tour runs out of Quepos, which is where Manuel Antonio is. I left from Manuel Antonio and its only 15 minutes away. The tour itself consists of a horseback ride up to a lodge on the mountain in the rainforest, the canopy flight (zip lines) and then an amazing hot mineral spring that is in a place beside a brook that must be seen to be beleived. Check out the following website, www.gaialinktours.com. It's just what you're looking for, the tour at Riosparaiso, trust me. Enjoy your trip, you will have a blast.

Rambler
Old Dec 28th, 2003, 11:13 PM

Has anyone been on a canopy tour in the Arenal area? We will be there next month and I was wondering what are options might be. It seems that all of these tours are similar with high zip lines, flying through the jungle.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 05:31 AM

I know the Original Canopy Tour Company has a canopy tour at/near the Tabacon Hot Springs. Entrance to the hot springs is supposed to be included in the price. Their website is www.canopytour.com
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 03:40 PM

I have what may seem like a weird question, but another poster said something about needing to wear long pants for the canopy tours. I'm going with my two kids, 10 and 14 in two weeks and it looks like it will be very hot around Manuel Antonio day and night. Would long pants be for bug protection? (We're taking the antimalarial drugs). So you don't get scratched up by the trees? Of are shorts okay? Thanks.