Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Damas Island MANGROVE kayak tour, Manuel Antonio, CR ...please rate this tour?

Old May 6th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

I'm looking for a tour in the Manuel Antonio area that the whole family can enjoy together...something tame enough for me, interesting enough for my husband the biologist, and fun enough for my young adult kids, ages 18 to 23.

Iguana Tours offers a Damas Island Estuary Mangrove Kayak Tour. It looks like the waters are calm and they do have some double kayaks so I could be with my husband. Apparently you explore coastal mangrove areas and see wildlife.

Have you taken this tour, and what did you think? They also offer a similar tour by boat but the photo shows a boat full of old ladies...maybe too boring for my adventurous family?

They also offer the kayak tour at night...but what can you see in the dark? Sounds spooky...

I would love some feedback. Thanks!
Old May 6th, 2005, 02:34 PM

Hi Melissa , I have spoken to quite a few people who have done this tour and loved it ..... Although they did say they feed the monkeys etc. to get them come on the boat , this bothers me ...... Maybe there are a few tour companies , and not all do this ...??? Faith .
Old May 6th, 2005, 10:44 PM
LvL

Hi. We originally booked the kayak tour (in advance) through Iguana but we met people at our last hotel who told us that the kayak tour was not very exciting and there were not a lot of animals to view(plus we would see a lot in MA park anyway). They highly recommended the whitewater rafting trip. My husband and I are both 50 and fairly adventurous, and we decided to take their advice. We were glad we did--your family will love the whitewater rafting. The guides were fun and the lunch included was great. They even stopped us halfway down the river for a side trip to some waterfalls where they took pictures of us all standing underneath. This trip will certainly appeal to your "kids".
Old May 6th, 2005, 11:55 PM
Original Poster

Maybe I should explain that I am planning to include some activities for the more adventurous members of my family...I'm giving them info on Canyoning, zip-line canopy tours, and white-water rafting, and maybe horse-back riding, and they can choose a couple adventures.

But I need some tamer activities which I can handle myself, and which they will get something out of too. Because I don't want to spend the trip alone while they go off and have adventures!

Thanks for any honest opinions on the mangrove kayak tour, and any other suggestions for tame but fun activites. If I spend all my "family" time eating and sleeping by the pool, I'll be waddling home after our vacation! I'm almost 50, afraid of heights, afraid of speed, and my idea of a wild adventure is to go on the Splash Mountain ride once a year at Disneyland!
Old May 7th, 2005, 03:13 AM

Hi Melissa! I can "relate" to your personal idea of a great adventure. If you've been to Kauai--my idea of the perfect outdoor water activity is a Smith Family boat ride up the Wailua River to Fern Grotto!
So....what about the Carrara Nat'l Park Reserve easy hike/Tarcoles River boat ride? Biologist husband would like Carrara, no? And you could say you've had your "rafting" adventure!! There are tours that leave from SCN or other locales nr MA:
Here's SCN's description:
http://www.sicomono.com/tours/costa_...ional_park.htm
Old May 7th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

CaliNurse, my husband does want to see the Scarlet macaws at the Carrara Nat'l Reserve...Have you taken the rafting tour on the Tarcoles nearby? I hear they feed the crocs though...(gators? Darn, I get them mixed up!) So many choices...
Old May 7th, 2005, 06:20 PM

I took the Iguana Kayak tour. It is very much for the beginner. It was my first time ever kayaking.

I did see some animals. We saw a baby crocodile in the water and some monkeys and birds. The water was calm and the area was beautiful.

Have a wonderful time in Costa Rica.