Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

calling all BA resaurant experts...(?Dr Dawggy)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2004, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Everyone,
Ive posted about this before but just want to try again. We will be in Buenos Aires for New Year's eve. We would like to have a nice, somewhat romantic dinner that will last most of the night. Not somehwere that is going ot be very loud or overcrowded. Cabanas las lilas has a special menu but it is a little too pricey for us (about $100 per person. we'd like to keep it under $70 per person if possible). Any suggestions for a special place for a new year's dinner is very much appreciated...time is running out!
THANKS!!
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 06:45 AM

Restaurants are packed on New Years, and probably a little pricier than normal so you may need to try several options....I will list 5 or 6 choices that seem to meet your criteria: Somewhat romantic, unhurried, not loud/overcrowded, not too pricey,ie, uder 70pesos per person.

2. Clo Clo. Costanera and la Pampa. Costanera (out near the domestic airport) 4788-0487 About a 10-15 peso cab ride from downtown. The last fixed price meal I ate here in May cost $60pesos, including wine. Attentive service. Sophisticated atmosphere. If you want a quieter atmosphere, Clo Clo's delivers. A somewhat older crowd than most of the other restaurants on this list.

3. Happening. Alicea Moreou de Justo 310. Puerto Madero. 4319-8712. 50 to 60 pesos. Try the lamb. Also, they have an appitizer option that lets you try a sampler of cheeses and meats....excellent....ask for a table on the water.

4. La Parolaccia. Alicea Moureu de Justo 1052. About 50 pesos for some of the best pasta in town. Again, ask for a table on the water.

5. Oviedo. Beruti 2602. Barrio Norte. 4821-3741. Fish and lamb specialties here are excellent. The atmosphere is old fashioned. You'll feel transported back in time..wood paneling, old tiles on the floor...etc. Everything is original and authentic. Great service. More the feel of a neighborhood bistro. About 50 pesos pp. When I ate here in June they had a special, including two glasses of Rutini wine and 3 courses for 40 pesos.

6. Malfatto Ristorante. Libertad 1623. 4811-3775.Newly opened. Starched table cloths...black and white decor....elegant, but not terribly expensive..50 pesos....Service here is a bit uneven. Waiters are friendly and willing, but not always as aware as they should be...but ask and you shall receive!

7. Sirop. Vicente Lopez 1660, Pasaje de Correo.local 11 Recoleta. 4813-5900
Tucked away down an alley in Recoleta, this is a jewel of a restaurant. Soups are excellent and everything else is good here. Modern, charming. Attentive service. Nora Jones cd's playing softly in the background add to the charm of this place.

These are all good choices, given your criteria.....I like them all more than Cabana las Lilas, and they are less expensive!

Let us know where you wind up and your thoughts! Enjoy.
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Dr. Dawggy! I should have clarified that I meant US dollars (yes, Cabana las Lilas is charging 300 pesos/ $100 USD per person for their New Year's party! I even double checked that price with them.) I will look into your suggestions and let you know where we end up. Thanks again!
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 12:24 PM

I have never been in Buenos Aires on New Years Eve, so I cannot say for certain...but a hundred bucks per person sounds wayyyyyyyy high. I have spent many a night celbrating with wine, food, and bubbly for far less.

Old Dec 17th, 2004, 01:45 PM

Hi mo261 because most tourist herd of Cabanas las LIlas this does not mean it is the best. I believe it is not. Only pricer, why not if tourist flock there, only because they heard about it...it is like a circle....Good luck.
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 04:58 PM

We just returned from BA. We went to all level of restaurants. We had top meals for two for about $70US and that included wine, multiple courses and a great atmosphere. We went to Surop (sorry about the spelling) our first night and loved it. It has about 15 tables and we were not rushed. In fact, every restaurant was a dining experience and lasted hours.

Our last day we had a late lunch at Lola's in the outdoor garden in the Recolata area. Very peaceful and wonderful food. The special was about $30 for two with a bottle of wine, water, three courses and coffee.

Good Luck on your plans.
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 12:29 AM

Hi yes I loved Sirop too. I recommend as I have done in the past to get the wonderful little red book called Los Recomendados, it is written both in English and Spanish. The authors are two women of impecable taste and they really know what they recommend.
Restaurants are marked price wise and location wise. Very good.
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 04:14 AM

I, too, like Sirop but it did not seem to fit what this couple was looking for as a place for New Year's eve so I didnt mention it....nor did I mention several of my other favorites, such as Sucre, for the same reason. Unless it has changed Sirop is only open a couple of nights per week, focusing instead on luch.....