buenos aires

Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
buenos aires

2 nites in buenos aires..looking for a terrific steak restaurant and a dinner/tango evening..suggestions ,please..
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 10:02 AM

to paraphrase...."So many steakhouses, so little time." There are at least 500 steakhouses in Buenos Aires. Most are good, some spectacular. Do you want down home and good or touristy?

If you are looking for a good meal, off the beaten tourist track try one of these options.

1. I like 1880 Parrilla for its authenticity and the quality of food. 1665 Defensa, San Telmo.tel 4307-2746

2. La Brigada. Estados Unidos 465. San Telmo. tel 4361-5557

3. El Mirasol. Boedo 136. Boedo tel. 4864-2376 (there are two more locations, but this is the original and best imo)

Another good choice, barely on the tourist track:

Happening. Alicia M. de Justo 310, Puerto Madero. tel. 4319-8712

Or you can get in line with all the other tourists and go to La Cabana in Recoleta or Cabana las Lilas in Puerto Madero.

Wherever you go....Bife de Chorizo is a good cut of meat...or lomo...or Ojo de Bife.....Grilled Provolone cheese is a great appetizer or a simple green salad....and as a side dish think about puree de papas or puree de calabaza (mashed potatoes or mashed pumpkin squash)...and wash it down with a great Argentine Malbec.....if you have room, try flan casero with crema y dulce de leche or ice cream.....Enjoy

I also like Mirasol. There are three locations, but the original and the best in my opinion is the the barrio of Boedo.

La Brigada in San Telmo is another great option.

La Cabana and
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 05:52 AM

We just returned from BA. At our concierge's recommendation, we ate dinner at La Brigada. It was horrible. I had the lomo and it was so tough you couldn't cut it. There were four of us and no one liked their steak. Talking to another couple at our hotel we discovered that they also ate dinner there on the concierge's recommendation and also thought it was terrible. I would recommend Happening. We went to their restaurant near the airport for an extremely early dinner before catching our 11 p.m. flight home and the steaks were outstanding. I have to believe that their restaurant in Puerto Maderia is as good. The best meal we ate in BA was at Sucre which is not a steak restaurant but I would highly recommend it.

We went to the tango/dinner show at Carlos Gardel. We really enjoyed the show. We were in the VIP section which has a different menu than on the main floor. The food was good----not great.

Have a great time.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 06:51 AM

dang, I'm getting cautious about recommending people or places. I recommend Cintia for a travel agent or Mike for apartments and someone posts they had a bad experience. It happens I guess....among service providers and restaurants.

I have never had a bad meal at La Brigada. Change of chefs maybe? I order bife de chorizo a punto....and it comes out perfect for me....or at least it has in the past....

Glad you liked Happening .....

And I agree with you about Sucre. Great restaurant, but I didn't list it because of the request for a steak house.

Old Jan 24th, 2005, 10:21 AM

Cabana las Lilas may have a touristy reputation, but it's not as bad at lunch, and food has been outstanding every time I've been in town. Esquina Carlos Gardel is a good tango place - it's about the right mix of traditional and modern performance. Stay away from Senor Tango...I would describe it as Andrew Lloyd Webber does tango.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 07:03 PM

I went to La Brigada and had a great Bife de Lomo. Service was friendly and professional.

The tango show at Carlos Gardell was good. The dinner was poor as was the service.

I really liked La Estancia for a simple salad and steak. It is near the obelisk. Not in the fine dining league, but they've got a great big grill and very good bife de lomo.