Cabo-Restaurant/Transportation Info

Old May 3rd, 2002, 07:09 PM
Sipry

Cabo-Restaurant/Transportation Info

My husband and I are going to Cabo next week and would love some recommendations for places to get good food. Also, if anyone can give us an idea of what it might cost to take a taxi into town - we are staying at the Sheraton Hacienda Del Mar. The last time we were there (in 1998) we had great Italian food at Romeo & Julieta's and there was a place for lobster in a trailer park (seriously!) that was good - does anyone know if these places are still around? Thanks very much, Sipry

Old May 5th, 2002, 08:33 AM
Christina

Are you staying at the hotel or in one of the villas? Right there, on site, are some excellent restaurants. One of the only 5 Diamond restaurants in all of Mexico is Pitahayas. See about making reservations when you check in. Also, for a great authentic mexican meal, try Girasoles. It sits atop one of the buildings and has an excellent view of sunrises and sunsets. The wait staff is very courteous and you always get a free appetizer. They even have "theme nights" and an outstanding taco buffet which was only $15 per person in Jan 2002. These are both on site. Over at the Fiesta Americana, you will find Rosato, which is an excellent Italian Restaurant and not too pricey. You will need reservations. For an inexpensive and delicious breakfast, try the Office on Medano beach in town and the Trailer Park is still serving up steak & lobster for $10.
Now about taxis, you are looking at fares of $20 each way into town and back to the resort. I recommend renting a car. Get on Expedia.com and see about a car rental. The taxi union is very strong and the fares are unreasonable. It is only a 10 mile ride into town from the Hacienda and unless you share with other guests, you'll be paying $20. Or, you could take the bus for $1.00, but you have to make the 1.5 mile uphill walk to the highway.
Let me know if you have any other questions. I will be down there May 15-21 and this is my 8th trip in 6 years. I own a timeshare there and so do my parents.

Old May 5th, 2002, 02:17 PM
Pigpoke

Not to be missed...Pancho's and Mi Casa. Both restaurants offer excellent traditional Mexican food and excellent serivce at reasonable prices! Both are located in town. Mi Casa does not have a website, but Pancho's does: panchos.com
The office is another great restaurant for breakfast, lunch and/or dinner with a great "happy hour" from 3:00-5:00- daily offering the usual "two for one" drink specials! Enjoy your trip to CABO!

Old May 5th, 2002, 03:00 PM
Sipry

Thanks very much for the info - we'll try them out. Sipry

Old May 6th, 2002, 11:08 AM
janey

We were just in Cabo a couple of weeks ago. The best meal and service we had was at La Republica in Cabo. A little pricey, but well worth it. We also enjoyed Mi Casa. Stay away from Da Giorgio's II. It was advertised as the best location for watching the sunset. It is a pretty location, but the food is overpriced and not great. There are stray cats wandering around. (it's an outside place) We actually saw the cats jump on a clean table and lick the silverware before they were shoo'd away. They never replaced the silverware...ugh!

Old May 6th, 2002, 11:45 AM
jenn

Second vote for La Republica. I also recommend renting a car and be sure to buy local insurance. Drive up to Todos Santos (beautiful area) and try the Santa Fe Cafe which has great Italian food. Only drive in the daytime though because it's open range.

Old May 9th, 2002, 10:00 AM
Kat

Another vote for Mi Casa.

The pool areas at the Sheraton are very nice. Just get there early to stake out your territory. People tend to hog the chairs all day long - whether they are actually at the pool or not.

Have fun.

Old May 9th, 2002, 08:43 PM
Anony

So Far no mention of the cost to eat in these places. Why is That?