Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Confused about flight connection from Mexico city to Puerto Vallarta

Old May 9th, 2002, 08:50 AM
Karen

Help!
I've been reading other posts about connecting flights through Mexico city.
We are coming on Aeromexico (from Atlanta) and have a connect to PV from there.
In Mexico City do we have to go through customs? and are we supposed to get our bags there, in Mexico City, and go through with them or will we go through customs with our bags in PV?
We have approximately 2 hours between arriving in Mexico City and the PV depart, is this enough time?
I've read posts where people didn't make the conncetion to PV.
Traveling with very very active 6 year old and do not want to get stuck in Mexico City airport!
Any help or hints to get through this process faster would be great!!
Thanks,
Karen

Old May 9th, 2002, 10:03 AM
Tom

You may get some confusing answers. As you move from the international arrivals to the domestic area you will have to go through immigration which depending on the time and number of arrivals can take a while. The domestic flights are then in the adjacent area whereas baggage claim is downstairs. Many people just go to the domestic departure and (assuming their baggage is tagged for PV) the luggage shows up in PV and since it's a domestic flight the baggage is just picked up and never clears customs. I have also read that some luggage is color tagged and identified for customs clearance in PV. If you're really trying to be safe just check your luggage to Mexico City, clear it when you arrive and then recheck it on your PV flight. Probably best is don't worry about it all you will need is a bathing suit anyway.

Old May 9th, 2002, 12:22 PM
Jean Valjean

In theory, what should happen is that your bags will be checked all the way to PV. The tag will have some sort of color code so that when you arrive in PV, they will take your luggage to INTERNATIONAL arrivals, so that you clear customs. I am not sure about immigration. Unlike airports at the US (where you clear immigration BEFORE going into the airport), in Mexico City you can go directly to a domestic flight without having to go through immigration.

2 hours is more than enough time. If you don't make the connection it will be because your first flight is late. Since you are coming on Aeromexico, they should put you in a different flight.

Be sure to ask at check-in in Atlanta what to do with your luggage, when and where will you clear customs and when and where you will clear immigration.

Old May 9th, 2002, 01:37 PM
marilyn

DON'T pick up your bags in Mexico City to go through customs--this would be more confusing than safe! They will be tagged in Atlanta with a colored tag, which in theory indicates that they should go through customs in PV. In practice it is usually pretty loose and you just walk out from baggage claim.

The confusion is mostly that Americans expect to go through customs when they first land, and things are often chaotic in the baggage area in Mexico City. You can't figure out where your bag is, and you can't seem to find anybody to ask.

But if you just remember to not even GO downstairs where the baggage and customs are, it will be fine. I didn't see a way to not go through immigration, but I'm willing to believe it is possible. Then you just go and find your departure gate in the domestic departures area. Two hours is plenty of time, plus I'm sure most of the people on your flight from Atlanta will be connecting, too.

Old May 9th, 2002, 02:17 PM
don't ask us ;-)

I would call the airlines AHEAD of the trip and ask your specific questions. Hopefully the answer is you can tag your luggage in Atlanta thru to PV. If they say this is possible, just make sure it happens when you check in at Atlanta. The airport code for Puerto Vallarta is 'PVR'.

Old May 9th, 2002, 02:34 PM
Arrival at PVR

If you go thru customs in PV, here's the drill:

1) Get off the plane - sometimes directly into the terminal, or else you'll be directed onto an openair bus for a quick ride across the tarmac to the terminal.

2) Everyone lines up to go thru the immigration booths, get in the line that says US Citizens; after turn right

3) Pick up your checked baggage from the carousel, or if carry-on only skip this step

4) Look left to where you see the Red light/Green lights (looks kinda like a traffic light). You press the button. If you get green they wave you thru. If you get red (seem fairly rare) they will make a cursory check of your bags.

5) There are bathrooms available just before you get in the immigration line, or after you clear customs to the left of the doorway to the outside straight in front of you.

Old May 10th, 2002, 07:09 AM
dunya

When you check your bags in the US make sure to ask if they are checked all the way through. When you get off the plane you have to go through immigration. Make sure to have the tourist card filled out right. There is usually someone in the line to help you. Then you go downstairs for customs. They will probably ask where your bags are and you tell them they were checked through. After that they always search my carry on (maybe I look suspicious) then let you go. To go the domestic flight you turn to the left and walk a ways to the national terminal. If you are checked all the way through and have a boarding card you simply go through the gate for national departures which will be a ways down on your left. If you need a boarding pass you will have to look for aeromexico which is also on you left. Once you get up into the national departures area there are both monitors and airline desks where you can find out where you flight is departing from- also food and stuff. In many trips through Mexico city I have had little problem. A couple of times I have been late for flights, but have gotten on the next one in short order. My bags have only been lost once and they were delivered to me the next day. With any luck all this should not be a big deal for you as you go on your trip.