Notices

cabo hurricane

Old Aug 31st, 2009, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cabo hurricane

if you go to http://www.caboweather.com/ you'll see a web cam. click on it for access to 4 other cams around cabo. beaches and hotels are already deserted. sounds like they're gonna take quite a hit.
best of luck to anyone in the area.
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 01:27 PM

Jimena just upgraded to a Cat 5. wow.
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 06:07 AM

I don't know, it shows it is veering west of Cabo and by the time it hits land it will be a CAT3. Check out www.Wunderground.com for great trackers and satellite images. We're going on Friday, haven't changed our plans. Anyone else out there, perhaps from Cabo, want to tell us the conditions?

Thanks.
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 06:53 AM

They've got an ongoing thread over on the Cabo San Lucas forum at Trip Advisor with people posting updates on the storm, who live or are currently in Cabo. Yes it is hitting the town of Cabo right now.
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 07:40 AM

Fox News just said that the latest tracking shows that it is going to miss Cabo San Lucas. I am sure that there will still be rain, wind and storm surge to contend with. Like LSUsajani we are scheduled to leave on Friday - haven't changed our plans, but looking for first hand info. to keep informed.
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 09:09 AM

Yes I agree that Cabo will get the rain from the hurricane, but it will not be "hit" by the hurricane like Katrina actually "hit" Biloxi/New Orleans. Living in the South, I'm used to tropical storms due to hurricanes moving around us.. usually not enough to wipe out a town or cause significant damage.

LSUsajani
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 07:42 PM

We were living in Cabo about 12 years ago when a huge cat5 was bearing down on us - it ended up veering off into the Pacific about 300 miles away but it was so large we had terrible winds and rain from the outer bands and a huge storm surge that filled the town's streets with 6 foot deep water and left mounds of sand when it retreated. We lost power for 2 days and had no running water either. We were all holed up in the hotel where I was a manager and had a huge hurricane party with the guests that couldn't get home before the airport closed.

The surge was so bad it washed out under our seawall that was dug 30 feet below the normal beach level. I had to think what would have happened if it hadn't veered off.

We were pretty much back to normal after 2 or 3 days.

Looking at the satellite it looks like it might be a similar situation as the winds around the hurricane will be directly onshore at Cabo as the eye passes well to the west.

Hopefully you will find some first hand info tomorrow as the storm moves north.

Cheers,
Andrew
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 05:27 PM

Major problems in the middle of Baja California Sur right now. The hurricane has cut a path across the peninsula and looks like its wavering between the Pacific and the Sea of Cortez. For live reports from people on the ground in this thing your can go to www.bajanomad.com >Baja News > Jimena
Thank goodness for 3G technology and fully charged batteries.

Don't believe CNN when they say that the areas this hurricane hit landfall are unpopulated.
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 12:05 PM

The central Baja area is absolutely devastated.

The main road N-S that connects Tijuana to Cabo is transected in several sites, near Santa Rosalia and Mulege. It is impassable, so that shipments of fuel, water, and food are going to be difficult.

It's so typically ignorant to say these areas are unpopulated. They indeed are populated with decent, hard-working Mexican families - fishermen, farmers, ranches who have very little in the way of backup resources and no easy way to get assistance. They will have lost not only homes and businesses, but crops, livestock, vehicles.