bus vs fly info from DF to Oaxaca?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

am traveling from DF to Oaxaca on 22 Mar, returning 29 March. very limited bus schedule (inconvenient times) for those dates and UNO bus only (price $614). i've looked at Feb dates as a comparison and there are quite a few more choices and 2 classes of bus. could Semana Santa be affecting the schedule? but, schedule limited for April dates as well.
does anyone know if buses are added to the schedule as the date draws nearer? have tried calling the 800#. getting a Mexican busy signal that indicates out of service.
has anyone traveled Aviacsa? according to its website, flights are $59 American (before taxes, i'm sure). the times work better for us, both going and coming, but it will be more expensive.
any suggestions/ideas are welcome.
thx
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 04:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Can't help with schedules, but the UNO buses are very comfortable -- probably the best line. Assume the price you quote is a typo or in pesos. The nice thing is the ride itself. You pass through mountain forest, may get a view of the volcanoes, especially Orizaba, and continue through a spectacular desert.

So maybe you should take the bus one way, and fly the other.
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 12:00 PM

Hi de -

Flying will save LOTS of time, and since time is money, it could work out to be more cost - effective than the bus.

The bus trip sounds pretty, though.
Old Feb 9th, 2008, 07:27 PM

I have taken the bus and flown. The bus is a beautiful trip, but if the price is at all close I fly. (Of course, I am generally connecting from the US so that is simple.) I have flown Aviacsa without a problem.

I do not believe that only UNO buses are available on those days, that just doesn't make sense to me. I am guessing the website (Ticketbus) does not have the service listed that far in advance. If you want to be really sure you could call a travel agency in DF or Oax I guess.

Hope this helps. Kathy

Old Feb 10th, 2008, 05:18 AM

UNO will end up costing you more than if you can fly for $59.00 as the price is almost the same and you will end up buying water and snacks plus spending 7 hours in the bus. If you want to bus, if you are arriving at the airport you might want to bus directly from there to the Capu terminal in Puebla and take a bus from there. The argument for the bus, as above, is it is a very senic ride.
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

thx. there's now a fuel surcharge on the Aviacsa ticket, which, together with the taxes, brings the $58 ticket to $133. and, i think you're right. they haven't posted the full schedules. at least i hope that's correct.