Buenos Aires Jan-Feb. '07

Old Nov 24th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buenos Aires Jan-Feb. '07

Mature solo female traveler headed to BA for 5 weeks. Need info on host families, hostels, cheap but safe hotels. Also want to take tango lessons - any tips? What about safety at night for unaccompanied women? anyone done the BA-Santiago-Bariloche-BA circuit? Thanks for help!
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 02:12 PM

The Bariloche crossing takes about 12 hours with a combination of bus and boat transport; everyone says it is tiring but worth it for the views. I took over 600 photos on my trip (not including some that I deleted). I did not personally do this but spoke to others who did (I was there on an Elderhostel package that was in Chile only). Someone mentioned using a travel agency called Wow Argentina to arrange their itinerary for them. They said they did a good job. Obviously, I have no personal experience with this company.

Santiago is very nice and has a European feel to it. We did not, however, spend much time there, as the focus of the package was elsewhere. We did visit Valparaiso--much more scenic than Santiago itself. We also covered Temuco, the Lakes, and Puerto Montt before boarding Skorpios II for the trip to the Glacier San Rafael. Then we returned to Santiago for our last day.

Our trip was run by the Experiment in International Living (not just for kids anymore). They did a great job. Some of the experiences--such as the wonderful lunch with the Mapuche native people--you could not organize yourselves. Some things, of course, I could have done solo just as easily.

Buses in Chile cover the country. Of course, I did not go to Argentina and cannot comment on the situation there.
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 02:24 PM

My trip to Bariloche/ Buenos Aires earlier this month was arranged by Cintia Stella of Wow! Argentina. She is excellent and very professional. You can find my trip report by clicking on my screenname. I did not do a hostel/homestay trip so have no recommendations for you on that. Buen viaje.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 08:16 AM

On 29 Oct., we took the bus from Bariloche to Puerto Varas for $50. ARPesos each. The trip was 6 hours. I read and SO took an Ambien and slept.
The Boat/bus crossing was $160. US and included a three hour stop for lunch.
If you fly into Chile with a US passport, you'll pay $100. US reciprocity/visa fee.
We flew into BsAs, spent 6 nights; 3 nights in Iguazu; 1 night each in Bariloche and Puerto Varas; 3 nights at Hacienda los Lingues, and last 2 nights at Hot Orly in Santiago. No fees or taxes (other than those paid on our airline tickets) leaving SCL with US passports for MEX.
Buen viaje.
M
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 08:33 AM

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...6&tid=34898117

Here is cmcfongs trip report.

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...6&tid=34898749
Here is mine, I just returned from 2 weeks in BA.

I suggest that you just sit down and read every thread on here that is about BA. That and a good guide book helped prepare me for our trip.

I think you would be more comfortable in the downtown or Recoleta area for a hotel, Recoleta being more expensive, but you might be more comfortable with that environment being alone.
Taxis are very cheap and everywhere, you can get around at night by taxi without worry, you can get Tango lessons.
Also look at TripAdvisor Buenos Aires forums, it is even more full of information than Fodors, having a large group of Porteñoes who post there every day.

Good luck, we had a wonderful time, no problems at all and look forward to another trip very soon.
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 04:54 PM

topping for piptech