Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itenary suggestions Santiago/Punta Arenas

Here is how my schedule breaks down

Nov 20: Santiago
Nov 21: Santiago
Nov 22: Punta Arenas
Nov 23-26: Antarctica Cruise
Nov 27: Punta Arenas

Any suggestions for things to do while Im in Santiago and Punta Arenas would be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 11:07 AM

In Santiago a good location is Providecia, a residential and commercial place, very calm, with many green areas, underground train, near restaurants “Aquí esta coco“ http://www.aquiestacoco.cl/english.htm is a excellent restaurant of seafood.
In this locality there are good hotels of four stars like: Hotel Torremayor y Eurohotel , A good company that can help it with transfer and trips by the city are www.enaturchile.com A visit that you cannot lack is to the vineyards “Concha y Toro”.
The old part of the city is an interesting place with constructions of century XVII, where is the Government House ,
Mercado Central is a place where the fruits and seafood of country are commercialized, there are good restaurants of seafood and they are not expensive and of very good quality. near this place this La "Plaza de Armas" it counts with a really beautiful Cathedral
The new part of city is: the state of "las condes" and "Apoquindo", a good sector of these states is AV. El bosque and the "pueblito Los Dominicos" that are a place of craftsmen.
Santiago is a safe cleaning and very organized city. worthy to be visited.
excuse my English is not very good
I hope to have been able to help

Old Aug 28th, 2006, 11:23 AM

I am planning a trip that includes Santiago in the spring. Something I found helpful on the internet and better that the traditional guidebooks which just seem to list site by site is this link to the "green mile" of Santiago. http://www.chipsites.com/ww/green-mi...ago-chile.html. The same www.chipsites.com has other good information about Chile and Santiago.

Enjoy planning your trip!
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 02:26 PM

Hello Beware:

My wife and I were in Punta Arenas last January. From there we took our time going up to Santiago. Great trip.

In Punta Arenas we went to Isla Magdalena on a day trip. This is a penguin colony, the best we have yet seen.

However, the tour operator there, Runner, is to be avoided. If I were to go again, and I would certainly visit my formal friends once more, I would get my tours there and deal direct with the operator or get your hotel to suggest an operator.

We stayed at the Hotel Isla Rey Jorge. They were VERY good. If concerned, I would book the penguin tour through them, if they will do it.

Great sea food restaurant was La Luna. They were one of the few who opened earlier. The Chileans eat quite late compared to nordamericanos.

In Santiago, the local tourist office [a big company] - we dealt with Andina del Sud. Jannett, an English speaking guide took us around. Recommended.

We stayed at the Neruda, central and very comfortable but the restaurant is terrible.

From Santiago we took a two day trip to Valpariso, overnighting in Vina del Mar. Here we stayed at Hotel San Martin. Very comfortable. Recommended. This hotel is close to a beach walk that was most pleasant, also a park where we people watched. The children were fun to watch.

Have a great trip. I am sure you will enjoy Chile, we certainly did.

Woodie
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your suggestions. My plans changed a bit and I'm adding Ushuaia to the plans. Im so excited !
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 09:18 PM

We're planning a two week trip for next October to Argentina and Chile -- B.A., Iguazu, and Patagonia including Puerto Montt, Bariloche, Torres de Paine, Punta Arenas, Passionate about a visit to a penguin colony. Is this a good time of year, and how much time should we allow? I don't want to pay for the tour and allot valuable time for something that is not certain. Would a reliable tour guide know of the certainty? Thanks -- loving all your threads and passion for the area.
Lynn