Search

Buenos Aires Hotel or Apartment???

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2008, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buenos Aires Hotel or Apartment???

Hi Everyone,

I am really overwhelmed by the hotel vs apartment issue when deciding where me and my boyfriend should stay while in BA. I have never rented an apartment before and am comfy in a hotel. But also for exploring it seems like an apartment would be cool. Please help me out... but I am looking for honest and straighforward responses please!
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 05:12 AM

We are spending 3 months in Argentina as part of an around the world trip and faced the same dilemma. In the end, for our last month, we have booked an apartment in BA with www.bytargentina.com as we feel with that amount of time, it not only makes financial sense (the actual cost of renting plus the ability to eat in from time to time),but probably enables a better understanding of the city itself (local life etc.)than staying in a hotel would do. In addition the facilities available seem far better $ for $ in an apt than in a hotel. How long you intend to stay will be a major factor. During our current trip where we have intended to stay in one place for a week or more, we have tended to rented apartments.
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 05:28 AM

Buenos Aires Apartments – ‘what is the deal?’
There is no doubt that renting Buenos Aires Apartments for vacation or a business stopover is much better value than hotel suites.

BuenosAiresStay.com ‘tells it like it is’ and discusses the pluses and minuses associated with vacation apartment rental verses hotels and conclude that apartment rental is not for everyone.

The Buenos Aires apartments industry has grown substantially over the last five years. At last count, we found nearly 147, 000 Google listings advertising or related to the search phrase ‘rent vacation apartments Buenos Aires’ and over 400 websites that directly compete against Buenos Aires Stay.

The vacation apartment industry is generally very professional and service is better than 2002 when we first rented apartments in Buenos Aires and found it cheap, but a real headache. Without regulation, market forces and competition has meant that both the quality of apartments and the companies that sell them have improved enormously.

Always research your agency of choice on the internet and read their terms and conditions – VERY CAREFULLY – make sure that rents are final, and when you check-in, should the apartment not be as advertised the agency state clearly that get your money back or another apartment. Again, if something should go wrong during your stay – does your agent have a published complaints procedure? All these points are just as import as the Buenos Aires apartments you might select.

From time to time, every company has the odd problem and vacation apartments are not unlike our own homes and not without the odd hitch – how agents deal with those unforeseen occurrences, sorts the good from the bad. It is important to add that third party service provision, anything the property owner or agents cannot control, is unreliable and time consuming to resolve, so apartments are not for those who demand immediate resolutions or people who expect to move immediately an insect pays them a visit, the internet fails, or they suffer a power cut on their street. If you want hotel style care – go to a hotel and pay for the privilege.

Staying in a Buenos Aires hotel
We all know what hotels provide so we will not dwell long in this subject. Generally, when you buy a hotel room, you are buying brand familiarity that is well constructed, well decorated, a cleanly furnished ‘clone’ with familiar rules and the security that if something goes wrong, the hotel will fix it immediately or move you to another room. Your room is cleaned everyday and linens and towels replaced and as if magic, and all is well again when you come home to change or climb into bed –bliss? Not for everyone, some of us find hotels ‘same-ole’ and value our home comforts - access to their favourite food direct from the fridge, home cooked meals, anonymity and privacy.

Personal and property security is generally good and you benefit from room service, internet, mini-bar, sometimes a health club, sometimes a pool, and a concierge. Most important to many people in the current economic climate is that you can use the old ‘plastic’ to pay from your dream holiday and face the music later. Tried and tested, but not without their many problems, not least the cost being $400 to $700 a week for the basic room with a bathroom, the hotel is fast losing ground in Buenos Aires and apartments are the vacationers choice, number one choice for longer term Buenos Aires Stays. If you are prepared to foot the bill, some apartments have all the services of a first class hotel and more – cook, servants, chauffer, and bodyguard – it is all available you just have to ask. What is for sure, you will have change from renting a comparable hotel suite at the Four Seasons Buenos Aires.

Buenos Aires Apartments

The negatives that detract from the offer of a home-from-home, at a fraction of the cost of a hotel send those who do not have the pioneering give it a go spirit running for cover. All over the internet, you can find complaints some valid, others blown out of all proportion - keep an open mind and going back to our first points – read agencies terms and conditions, look for cast iron pros that offer you some comfort and a published complaints procedure.

When you rent an apartment, you normally complete your reservation with a rental apartment agent that provides a shop-front for hundreds of private property owners who sell rental apartments for short-term vacation. Apartments range from budget apartments for less than US$250 each week one bedroom to luxury one-bedroom apartments that range from US$500 to US$2000 dollars a week. There are no hard, fast rules as property owners set their own rents in Buenos Aires, and the quality differences can be extreme, even in the same price bracket.

One thing you can be sure of, budget means budget. Clients should not expect to pay US$150 to $250 dollars a week and demand luxury - you get better than hostel accommodation of the same price bracket, but most importantly, you have privacy, fresh sheets and towels once a week, your own bathroom, and cleanliness. That is good value – if you want more, you have to pay more – you get what you pay for!

Buenos Aires is a society based on cash where credit runs at the national average of 10% and where the US dollar, and bricks and mortar are still king. When you rent a Buenos Aires apartment, expect to pay at least 20% in advance to confirm your reservation and the balance of the rent and security deposit of 1 week to 2 months in dollars on arrival. Some reasonable owners will let you pay a deposit in home currency to save on exchange costs. Carrying so much cash makes many people concerned and most certainly accounts for 80% of our clients who decide to book hotels with us instead of apartments. Complaints are – ‘I do not want to carry cash, and, ‘will I get my security deposit back?’, and ‘what if,’ clearly these type of folks do better in a hotel and we tell them so. This brings us nicely to our next important point – the tenancy agreement.

When you pay your rent and security deposit and sign a 'vacation apartment rental agreement' with the property owner, you enter into a legally binding agreement for the duration of your tenancy with the property owner, with clauses that clearly tell both parties their obligations. You cannot breach or change that agreement after you sign.

We have to change tack a little here as we can only speak for ourselves.

Before you check into a Buenos Aires Stay apartment we have a check-in procedure that achieves two things, 1/ it demonstrates that you viewed and like your apartment and it is as advertised, and 2/ we have completed the terms of our offer to your satifaction.

Buenos Aires Stay provides 24/7 support to our clients via our concierge and we use best endeavours to help clients sort any complaints within 24 hours and will move our clients should there be a problem that makes their chosen apartment uninhabitable. Please read our Rental Apartment Terms and Conditions.

We have a complaints procedure and free arbitration service for both tenants and property owners.

A word of caution, Buenos Aires Stay takes great pains to spell out the above points to our clients and great pride in our service.

If you want to move because you prefer another barrio, or you decide you might like to go to Cordoba, or find something cheaper, you will be bound to act subject to contract and abide by the law as will the property owner.

So there you have it! Buenos Aires Apartments are not for everyone – but at least now you can make an informed decision and Buenos Aires Stay can help you with both apartment rental or hotel reservations – need more information email – [email protected].

Buenos Aires Apartments -verses- Buenos Aires Hotels – it is your choice, but know the facts.

http://www.buenosairesstay.com
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 08:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Wow! InfoBuenosAires certainly covers all bases, but from a personal perspective, i find that i prefer to stay in an apt when I have visited a city b4 esp in those countries where I dont speak the language. I may have been lucky, but I've never had any trouble with any of my apt stays anywhere. Lots of research and checking is required to have a successful stay in an apt.

The convenience of the "support" provided by a hotel is often times quite useful -- making restaurant reservations, checking flights & giving general advice on a variety of things. However, if cost is a driver i believe you definitely get a lot for your $ with an apt. It's quite nice to be able to prepare simple meals if you'd like to and have the extra room to lounge about.

There are people who seem to hate apt rentals and others who swear by them. I think your own comfort level in a country should be the deciding factor. BA has tons of apts and hotels, all kinds, all prices and all over the city.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 10:49 AM

InfoBuenosAires- Advertising is not encouraged on Fodors, I believe..

Hi
When my husband and I first visited Buenos Aires, we first wanted to stay in a hotel, but then we heard about apart/hotels and looked into that.. we were stayed for 2 weeks and staying in the aparthotel was perfect. Daily maid service, breakfast delivered to the door at the time you choose each day and each room has a balcony and kitchenette and is 3 full rooms with walk in closets and a safe .. the Art Suites in Recoleta www.artsuites.com.ar

We were able to pretend for those 2 weeks what it would be like if we actually lived in Buenos Aires, with the comforts of a hotel.
The rates are good, they are not huge so you might check them out soon for availability.

* We ended up moving to Buenos Aires 5 months later *

Otherwise, I have some apartment rental sites that I can post, larger companies with pretty good reputations.. you have to be careful here, with the tourist boom, a lot of unlicensed places are opening.

www.bytargentina.com
www.apartmentsba.com

Hope this helps
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 12:08 PM

From a good year of reading about apartment rental agencies in Buenos Aires, on this forum, I plan to rent from buenosaireshabitat.com. I haven't been to Buenos Aires before, but do rent apartments in other countries and love it.
For example, the apartment that I've rented in Paris is 40 square meters and almost the exact same price of the hotels that I've stayed in for decades measuring 15-20 square meters.
Plus, the apartment and hotel location is about a 5-minute walk from each other and in the same district. So, I'm still in my desired neighborhood of over 3 decades.

The 5-star apartment that I rent in Bangkok is an 80 square meter studio compared to my 30 square meter standard room at a 5-star there. To get 80 sqaure meters in a hotel, it would have to be a suite which could easily cost 2.5 times the price of my apartment of the same size.

I love having the extra space and a kitchen to cook a proper breakfast in and usually one other meal. I don't like to HAVE to look for restaurants at the end of a long, tiring day. Happy Travels!
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 01:27 PM

Hi, Guenmai!

Would you care to comment further on the apartment you rent in Paris?

Thank you.
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 03:19 PM

guenmai, I agree. After many years of hotel stays in Paris .. we rented from ParisPerfect.com ... a lovely apt in the 7th .. I think I will always prefer that apt to a hotel.
We did the same thing in London .. had a wonderful little apartment in South Kensington, right off Old Brompton Road. It is fun, allows me to pretend I live there, if only for a couple of weeks

It just depends on what a person wants out of a stay, I preferred hotels when I first stayed in a strange country, it was nice having the concierge and helpful staff .. and sometimes, I like to stay in a hotel and know that I am not cooking, not one meal, or making a bed.. not once lol..at least until I get home
Old Nov 5th, 2008, 03:17 AM

I prefer the apartments because you can cook, there are more than 1 room, it is cheaper for groups or families with kids...
One web very useful httpesigbuenosaires.com/en
Old Nov 5th, 2008, 03:18 AM

I prefer the apartments because you can cook, there are more than 1 room, it is cheaper for groups or families with kids...
One web very useful http://www.desigbuenosaires.com/en
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 08:50 AM

Avrooster...vacationinparis.com Apt#122. Great company, located in New Jersey, and totally payable in U.S. dollars. I just wrote them a personal check and mailed it as I live in L.A. area.
If you go on the European forum/France and either refer to the, "Paris Apartment Thread" or my own thread, "Guenmai's Paris Apartment Rental Experience", you can find a complete report. If looking for a hotel, I've started two threads, "Paris Left Bank Hotels" and "Paris Right Bank Hotels". I top them to keep them current and started it for Fodorites to post recommended hotels in Paris. Happy Travels!
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 09:20 AM

Thank you very much, Guenmai.

Apparently you have to ask them about the availability, you cannot see it online, right?
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 09:39 AM

No, they don't show availability on line. I just called them and asked and was told that my dates were wide open and then booked it and sent a $300. deposit check to hold the apartment.

The balance had to be paid 2 months before the arrival date. And about two weeks before I left home, I received the apartment keys...a BIG plus with this company since all other companies that I looked into don't mail out the keys, but instead one has to meet up with a rep to get into apartments which I don't like to have to do. Happy Travels!
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 10:27 AM

I'm another person who likes to rent an apartment if possible. We went to Paris for a week a couple of years ago. I had been travelling on business every week for several months - the last thing I wanted to do was stay in a hotel. We rented an apartment, and it was so convenient - when we got tired and our feet were killing us, it was great to be able to go back to the apartment. We actually had a small terrace, which was amazing. Much nicer than sitting on a bed in a tiny room!

We tend to be more 'budget' travellers, and usually apartments work out cheaper than hotels. I like to go for dinner, but it's great to be able to get up and have b/fast when we want to. I'm starting to think about a possible trip to Buenos Aires next year and I am really happy to see this kind of thread.
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 11:03 AM

SusanInToronto: there are many, MANY apartments available for short-term rental in BA and there is A LOT in the forums about them.

You'd have a great time here.

Old Nov 6th, 2008, 11:54 AM

Yes, I'll definitely be looking for an apartment if and when we decide to go to Buenos Aires. I was seriously thinking of going to Vietnam (using ff miles), but I really don't want to have to travel so far. So I started thinking of other places in the world I want to visit, and Buenos Aires is on that list!