Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

Buenos Aires here we come! apartment rental Feb-Mar 2011

Jun 25th, 2010, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

After contemplating this for several years, we have finally taken the plunge!
We've just booked flights to Bs As for a six week stay, beginning in early February 2011.

We are looking for a Recoleta apartment, and see some possible options with RentinBA.com, buenosaireshabitat.com, and argentinahomes.com (Reynolds Propriedades).

We're wondering if they are comparable in terms of service, or if there are other agencies that fodorites would recommend over these firms?

Thanks.
Jun 28th, 2010, 08:54 AM

I'm surprised that no one has replied to you. We spent 10 days in Buenos Aires last March, and loved it. Six weeks would be amazing!

We booked our apartment through VRBO and were very happy with it. Some people do prefer going through agencies, and I know that posters on Tripadvisor have lots of opinions on which is best! You might want to try posting there if you haven't already.
Jun 30th, 2010, 02:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks SusanInToronto, for your guidance. I checked in on the TripAdvisor forum as you suggested, and there are a lot of interesting threads there! Canuck50 has been very helpful to me, and as our plans take shape I will no doubt be seeking more guidance there. I really like the "destination experts" feature. SBJEinToronto also has a lot to offer on that site.
Jun 30th, 2010, 04:34 AM

SBJEinToronto is actually me! I had trouble registering on that site for some reason. I think it's maybe Scarlett that you're thinking of - she's a real expert.
Jun 30th, 2010, 06:14 AM

hikerboy - I researched apartments for the same period for 2010 (but we went to Africa instead) - here is a link to two lovely apartments that are high on my list for a trip to BA

http://www.tobanne.com/
Jun 30th, 2010, 08:26 AM

I spent time in San telmo, I compared recoleta and san telmo but preferred san telmo since it has more history and is so centrally located. I can personally vouche for http://www.casasantelmo.com.ar/ or just email them at [email protected] and tell them what your looking for and they will help you. We had a great experience

http://www.wanderingtrader.com
Jul 5th, 2010, 10:06 AM

Hola hikerboy.
We rented a wonderful apartment in Recoleta(3 bedrooms, balcony, 2 baths +) through BA Habitat. The agency was professional, honest, efficient and the apartment was exactly as expected. The year before we rented from a private rentor, like VRBO, and that was a fabulous apt. in Recoleta. This year we are renting for ~ the same time frame as yours, but in Palermo and through Reynolds Agency. They have been, as they are reputed to be, excellent to work with, to this point. Enjoy the hunt.

~MarnieWDC
Jul 5th, 2010, 11:38 AM

For two weeks in 2007, I stayed at Libertador & Motevideo (CodeRE792) in Recoleta. I arranged this property through www.bairesapartments.com. It was in a great location, in a quiet complex, surrounded by restaurants, markets, and other venues of interest, in walking distance to most places in Receoleta, had an amiable owner, and was rather a pleasant apartment to stay during my visit.

Everyone who came to my place-- liked its ambience and the manner in which it was appointed. I liked all of these things,too, and its price was quite affordable as well as reasonable!!

The owner liked the manner in which I took care of her property and invited me back as well as desiring me to recommend her property to others.
Jul 6th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the leads.
I have contacted several agencies about apartments in Recoleta and Palermo. Buenos Aires Habitat said they are not yet renting that far out, and that I might want to contact them in September. I don't know, but I get kind of nervous that a place we like might be gone by then for the dates we want, so they're off my list.
The Reynolds Agency has been more responsive in a positive way, and I am in the middle of making a deal for a unit at the Palermo Uno Tower-----same company MarnieWDC is using, and actually the same unit where SusanInToronto stayed this past March!
Our plans are falling into place, and we have six months to brush up the Spanish and learn as much as we can about BsAs.
Thanks again!
Jul 7th, 2010, 05:06 AM

Great Hikerboy,

I am surprised about the response you got from Buenos Aires Habitat for a Feb. 2011 rental, as I had good contact from them in May regarding your same time frame. No matter, you have found a good place and I wish us both luck !!!

~Marnie
Jul 7th, 2010, 07:05 AM

Hikerboy -- that is odd what BA Habitat told you. Were they clear you wanted a 6 week rental? I just contacted them for a short term rental and they got back and said any rental under 20 days could not be confirmed until September. They would confrim a 20+ rental now. In any case, glad you're finding what you need.
Jul 7th, 2010, 09:16 AM

Hey there,

My wife and I just bought tickets to BA the first week of NOV 2010. When we stayed in Venice and Paris, we used:

http://www.homelidays.co.uk/

The place in Venice was incredible, the one in Paris was so so, but the price and location was perfect, so we are pretty happy with their listings and we had no problems with payment.

There is a bit of anxiety with using a service that involves people you can't see, so we are leary of using another service even though they are probably just as good.

My two pesos.

Michael
Jul 8th, 2010, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

It may be an anomaly, as I did make our 6-week requirement clear to buenosaireshabitat.

Nevertheless, we have now firmed up our booking and paid a deposit to Reynolds Propreidades for a unit in the Palermo Uno Tower, which appears to meet all of our needs. We are pretty excited and we can now begin to research and plan in earnest, now that our flights and lodging have been secured.

Fetchwood, we have used VRBO and Homeaway.com for rentals in the past and have not had a bad experience yet. We prefer Homeaway.com, but for Buenos Aires the more established local agencies had better inventory and variety, and generally good track records with Fodorites andTA to have
Jul 8th, 2010, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

That last one was sent by mistake from my tiny netbook!
(I'm on the road from Canada to the Jersey Shore for a triathlon).

Meant to close by saying "TA'ers" (or whatever we call Trip Advisor Forum members).

Thanks all.
I'm now ready to join the discussions about all things Buenos Aires, as flights and lodging in BsAs are now secured!

Kevin
Jul 8th, 2010, 05:29 AM

Glad things are working out for you!
Jul 12th, 2010, 02:58 PM

hikerboy, the views from those apartments are absolutely wonderful!
The lights at night will be so pretty!
And it is a great location !

* muchas gracias, Susan