Search

Bocas del Toro

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2007, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bocas del Toro

I'm planning on going to Bocas for either two or three days.
Does anyone recommend any nice accomdations on the beach?
What is the nicest beach in all of Bocas?
Can I rent a car and drive to Boquete and how long is the drive?
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 01:15 PM

There's no place to rent a car in Bocas del Toro. At least I can't imagine there is one. There are several agencies in David, which is about 60-90 minutes from Boquete. There's a new rent-a-car office in Boquete itself. I want to say it's Thrifty, but don't quote me on that.
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 08:49 AM

You need to go to the other islands to get a beach - nothing on Isla Colon where Bocas town is - there is a nice beach at the other end of the island... Cocomo on the Sea is on the waterfront with a sandy bottom but not a "beach"...
Best beach - hard to say... all need to be reached by water taxi - some have big rip tides so beware...
No you can't rent a car and drive to Boquete - there are no agencies in any of the coastal towns opposite Bocas... The best way is to fly from Bocas to David on Mon/Wed/Fri only then rent a car at the airport - Budget, Thrifty, National, Hertz etc all there, pretty much the same price... 45 minute drive to Boquete... pretty easy drive...

Cheers,
Andrew
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 03:06 PM

Well, Andrew, you've answered a ? for me. I was wanting to rent in Almirante and drive to David rather than fly (had hoped to spend a few days at Puerto Viejo, CR). So no can do, huh?

As for fh2007--there is a decent beach on Isla Colon (about 20 min. from Bocas town)--Boca de Drago (there may be an "s" at the end). We taxied over there and spent a pleasant afternoon. There was a nice little restaurant there for lunch.
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 11:17 AM

We took the water taxi to Almirante and then hired a driver to take us to Boquete. Once we arrived there we either walked or hired the same driver to take us where we wanted.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 11:58 AM

Try Donna Maras i think it was spelled its on Carenro Island in front of the main Island Colon. It was clean and basic, and had a beach in front and nicer ones near by. It cost about $50 a night. Colon hasnt any beaches, avoid Batimentos for staying dirty and full of drugs, whichwas very disspointing as we had heard a lot about it.
Best beach is on the Zapataillas Islands, youll visit them probably on a day tour, nice snorklling to be found.
Dont know about hiring a car but we bussed it, about 5 hours from the mainland i think it was.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 08:20 AM

While I didn't stay there, I though that Punta Caracol looked lovely.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 04:55 PM

Punta Caracol DID look nice. We noticed it from the air and again as we were boating out.

We stayed at Dona Mara's for $45 per night last July. Thought it was a great deal. Included tax and breakfast (which wasn't much, toast and juice). Friendly owners. We stayed there for 4 nights--thought it was quite a bargain!