Los Cabos car rental/taxi

Nov 5th, 2003, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Los Cabos car rental/taxi

Hey folks,

We are staying for 6 nights in Cabos at the Bahia Condos. Don't diss our money-saving techniques by where we are staying, ok? We aren't Westin-types. So, with that, our travel agent has us with RT shuttle already paid to & from the condos. My question: as we are right in the Playa Mendano beach area, how easy is it to walk to and from other hotels and resturaunts and shopping places? Should we rent a car, take taxi's, buses or what? Where in Playa Mendano can you rent a car, or is it best to get it from the airport? Any tips on getting around would be great. We love to lie on the beach, snorkel, body surf (serious)and wander into/out of shops. Tips would be helpful. Thanks.

BC
Nov 6th, 2003, 06:10 AM
scs

You should be alright walking or taking a cab if you are on Playa Mendano. I do want to warn you that the surf on the Pacific is dangerous. It is beautiful, but the waves are huge with an enormous undertow. I have not seen anyone in the water there. The water at Playa Mendano is calm.
Nov 6th, 2003, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks SCS.

We are still debating the car idea, especially if we do indeed have a shuttle to/from the airport. I would really like to body surf and am a very good swimmer. I have read Fodor's Cabos guide book, but from someone who has been there, where can I body surf? I have fins and a wet suit and am comfortable in the water. I wouldn't want to go out where undertows are, however, at least I am a smart swimmer!! Any ideas there? Thanks
Nov 6th, 2003, 03:48 PM
scs

You might want to check out this website for info on all the different beaches around Cabo - www.loscabosguide.com/beaches/pacific.htm - this page specifically about the Pacific side.
Have a great time!
Nov 8th, 2003, 02:51 PM

In regard to your question, "where can I body surf?" from medano beach you can rent a water taxi to "lovers beach" which in near the arch at the tip of the penninsula. That is a small beach with great sand and a great view. you can also do some good snorkeling there. That beach is also connected to the Pacific ocean side. It is a 200-300 yard walk on soft sand. On the Pacific side there are large waves. I have swam there and it seems safe to me (I am an average swimmer). Many others swam there too. You should be able to do some body surfing. Having said this, my Moon Publishing "baja Handbook" says, "Only the Beachfront facing the bay is generally safe for swimming" This is regarding the beach I just described.

You will not need to rent a car if you only want to stay near Cabo. The beach, shopping and restaurants are all within walking or bike-taxi distance. You might consider renting a car for a day to explore the area.