Best way to Uruguay from BA Int'l airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone gone directly from the BA Int'l airport to Uruguay?

I am thinking it makes the most sense to land in BA, take a taxi to the ferry port, and the ferry to Colonia.

Is this easy to do, or a big head ache. I assume flying to Uruguay would not make sense since it would require a change of airports?
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 10:49 AM

By far the simplest way to go to Uruguay is to fly on American Airlines, which offers flights into Montevideo without changing from EZE to the domestic airport...and take a bus from Tres Cruces terminal in Montevideo to the Buquebus terminal in Colonia. From Colonia you can take the ferry back to Buenos Aires.

If you are on another airline, the method you mention works too...just take a cab to the ferry port and hop aboard the next ferry (preferably the "fast" ferry, which only takes 45 minutes)....
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 11:28 AM

I believe United also flies to BA and then on to Montevideo.
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for responding to my post. I have checked on AA.com and expedia, and I don't see any flights from EZE to Montevideo.

How long is the cab ride from the airport to the boat doc?

Also what is the best way to arrange for a cab. Get one from the booth at the airport? Or pre-arrange before leaving the US?
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 06:05 PM

Roughly an hour, depending on the traffic.
The good drdawggy will suggest the cab booth, but, for first time visitors, I prefer http://www.tiendaleon.com.ar/home/home.asp
as you can reserve online and pay with your credit card.
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 06:12 PM

drdawggy is right. AA stops in Buenos Aires and then the flight continues to Montevideo. May be not everyday of the week. So if you are flying from any US city you can switch planes in Buenos Aires and take the flight that goes to Montevideo. I personally have done it many times.
Also of course you can take a taxi or remise to the Buquebus Terminal in downtown Buenos AIres and take the buquebus to Colonia or Montevideo.
The fast ferry I believe takes like a full hour to Colonia. Three hours to Montevideo.
The taxi drive will vary depending of the time of day but I am guessing close to one hour.
Or again you can take a taxi or the connecting bus to the other airport in downtown Buenos AIres, called Aeropuerto and fly to Montevideo, I do not know if there are flights to Colonia.
BTW American flies to Montevideo.
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 06:18 PM

Graziella: are you up to one of my jokes?
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your help. I was able to get a flight directly to Montevideo from Miami. So my problem is solved.

Does anyone know if it is easy to get from the Montevideo airport to Puenta de Este?
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 12:28 AM

There are many long distance buses. The distance is aprox. 110 kilometers.I am not a hundred per cent sure if buses stop at the airport without a reservation. Last time I took one, I called the bus company on the phone saying I was going to take the bus at the airport at a deremined time. May be things have changed because this was some time ago, but I imagine you can call the bus company on the phone and double check, I would. Tickets are very inexpensive. Some people take a taxi all the way but that of course is expensive. Also you can rent a car at the airport.
Did you finally find an AA flight to Montevideo?
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 12:33 AM

Hi Inor, I checked and there are two bus companies that go to Punta del este, COT and Copsa and both have offices at Montevideo Airport. The time to Punta is 1 hour 45 minutes, get a direct bus.
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 06:19 AM

DRDAWGGY...check out Imes, Holiday Inn, Troy State.