Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Anyone done PureTrek Canyoneering Waterfall Rappel in Arenal?

Old Oct 16th, 2007, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm SO interested in doing this... I was wondering if anyone has any feedback on this. I think Desafio tours also offers a similar tour, but I think I'd go with Pure Trek. I've done a bit rappelling in the past, but never on waterfalls, though. I'm wondering exactly how wet you get... do you rappel right IN the waterfall, or to the side? I was hoping to take my camera, but that may not be a possibility...

Just looking for feedback. I just got home from an amazing canyoneering trip in Zion (in Utah) and now I'm hooked
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 12:38 PM

bookmarking

Carol:
So far I am planning on going with Desafio. From what I can find, they have more waterfalls, and are higher (it is more of a 'thrill')
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 02:38 PM

Hi,
We did the watefall rapelling last winter with Desafio. We went at ten am and it was just the two of us and two guides. I am a non swimmer and was very nervous about the experiance.I felt completely safe. You do get wet and dirty. It is definitely a physical challenge hiking out of the canyon. We are in our sixties and not in the best shape. You do actually rappel both in the watefall and beside it. We did not take a camera. I think they might take pictures but the day we went we fogot to ask. It was probably one of the most fun things I have ever done in my lifeOne of the guides was a former airborne ranger and the other guide was so great, really helping me a lot to do the canyon hike out at the end.Check when you get there. I think Desafio might have more waterfalls than Pure Trek.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for these replies! I will look at Desafio. I leaned towards Pure Trek because I saw they're certified with the American Canyoneering Association (which I'm familiar with). Perhaps Desafio is too, and I'll check.

Where did you guys read about Desafio having more waterfalls? I'll definitely look at them. Karen, did you book ahead of time, before going to CR? Good for you, being in your 60s and doing this!
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 05:37 PM

karen--good for you! We've been looking at this activity for awhile--perhaps next time we get back up there. Nice to know that we still have some adventure ahead of us!
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 05:46 PM

Carol, we've done Pure Trek twice, but haven't done Desafio to compare. What I will say about Pure Trek is they are a first-class operation, excellent safety-conscience guides, excellent equipment and safety back-ups everywhere. We just got from canyoneering in Croatia, and could not believe how slapdash that operation was in comparison.

Some of the rappels are in the water sometimes, some more beside. Each waterfall is unique, some tall and straight, some through a narrow gorge, all a thrill. The water is heated thermally a bit so it's not a shock, and they give everyone a jacket with closures at neck and wrists to keep water off the torso. Yes, you're wet but not immersed in water, more splashed here and there. You can use an disposable underwater camera and just tie it to your lifepreserver if your regular camera is not certified waterproof (mine is to 3 feet, does great).

Old Oct 18th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

"rickandpat" -- thanks so much for the feedback. I'm glad to hear Pure Trek is a good operation. That said, I have to say I'm intrigued by Desafio having more rappels (and they seem to be higher, too). How many rappels did you do with Pure Trek? Their web site says 4 plus one rock wall.

Good tip on the waterproof camera -- I'm probably gonna buy a disposable... thanks for the reminder on that!
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 08:25 AM

It is 5 rappels. Have fun whatever you choose.
Pat
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 10:01 AM

Here are some more opinions on a different forum

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...uanacaste.html

I'm am going to try my luck with Desafio in late November..will post trip report
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 02:02 PM

The website for Desafio says that there are eight waterfalls so there are more than Pure Trek. The last one is 210 feet. I actually would consider doing it again that is how much fun it was.
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

ag123, thanks for providing the Trip Advisor link. If it is true that the tour groups are large with Pure Trek, I'd opt for Desafio too. Two questions please:

1. karenlf -- did you have to ride a horse on the waterfall rappelling tour? One poster on Trip Adivsor said it including horseback riding... I'm NOT a horse person Also, did you book online before going?

2. rickandpat -- did you have a large number of people with you when you went? Could be a time of year thing...

Thanks everybody for your answers. ag123, I think I'd like to pre-book this before I go, since I'll be there mid-December, in the busy season.

Carol
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 09:01 AM

Hi Carol,
There was no horse back riding for the waterfall rapelling. We were driven into the country in a jeep. The one thing I really liked about Desafio was that you could do the first two rapells, and if you were not comfortable you could still turn back at that point so you had a chance to try out the equipment. The first one is small. We did not book ahead of time but we did the ten oclock tour. It was over the Xmas holidays last year.
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Great Karen, thanks! I'm glad to hear there's no horse involved... not my thing! And glad to hear it wasn't really hard to get a tour over the holidays. Since Desafio has a 200+ ft. rappel, I think I'm gonna have to go with them -- sounds great!