Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Best long weekend (3-4 nights) getaways from Los Angeles, California???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2003, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am ready to book my Labor Day weekend holiday and I am considering the following:

1. Costa Rica for 4 nights. It is a bit far for only four nights but the price is very reasonable. For a Conde Nast Traveler Gold List hotel, I can get four nights, all inclusive (all meals, transfers, activities, etc.) for only $1,350 USD. Throw in another $1,100 for air and I just had a nice time in Costa Rica for less than $2,500 USD at one of the top 5 rated places in Central/South America.

2. Vancouver or Victoria, British Columbia. I know this area is supposed to be beautiful but it just does not seem all that exciting to me. It is very reasonably priced, with air being less than $250 per person and 5* accomodations being less than $300 per night. I am sure I can have four nights in Vancouver or Victoria, BC for about $1,750, but I just don't know how much fun I will have. Seems too sterilized.

3. Santa Barbara. Only a 90 minute drive but it is SOOOO expensive! The nicer places (Four Seasons Biltmore, San Ysidro Ranch and Bacara Resort) will cost me an average of about $400-$500 per night excluding breakfast!!! Sure, I could stay in Carpinteria, but that defeats the purpose. When I travel, I like to stay at the most exclusive places and Carpinteria doesn't cut it. Although I already have reservations at Bacara Resort for 3 nights, I am strongly considering cancelling them for one of the two above destinations.

4. Hawaii. Four nights in Hawaii doesn't seem all that bad if they are all spent at the same location. I wouldn't mind going to the Big Island for four nights, although with air and a top hotel, I am likely looking at over $2,500 USD.

5. Monterey/Carmel/Big Sur/Pebble Beach. I love the area, but like Santa Barbara, these places are very expensive and I feel like I would get a lot more out of going to a place like Costa Rica or Hawaii.

Where else could I go??? I loathe Las Vegas and have little interest in the Carribean (no direct flights from Los Angeles). I just went to San Francisco and will be going to NYC in early November. Of course, I want to avoid places that are going to be TOO hot over Labor Day Weekend.

When it comes to international travel, I am pretty good. However, for domestic travel, and by domestic I mean all of North America, I am definitely still a travel apprentice in need of some serious help.
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Where could I go in Central America that is very nice but is not a separate flight or 3+ hour drive away from the international airport???

I am researching Costa Rica (Lapa Rios) and Belize (Chan Chich Lodge) but they both seem like they are pretty far from the international airport. As it is, they are already 6+ hour flights from Los Angeles which wouldn't be bad if it were not for an abbreviated four night stay.

I really am not interested in Mexico. I love Mexico City but don't care for the resorts in Mexico and would like to make my first visit to Central America, preferably Costa Rica, but not necessarily Costa Rica.

HEEEELLLLLPPPPPP!!!! Thanks.
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 10:22 PM

Hi Roccco,

I loved the big island(hawaii) when I was there but I've also enjoyed the Big Sur -Monterey area.
What about Panama-I was there(granted not for long) but will definitely consider a trip there.
Costa Rica is also nice but only made a brief stop from the cruise ship.
Not much of a help.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 01:15 AM
Original Poster

Patty,

I think I have found exactly what I am looking for in the Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows. From Conde Nast Traveler's Gold List:

"Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows, 90.3 overall
www.maunalani.com
808-885-6622
"Very beautiful, relaxing, and secluded," this "modern, stylish" hotel has "lots of fish the kids like to feed." "Zen rooms" (guests "request the same one every year&quot "bring the outdoors in." "Rent bicycles, go whale watching, visit the petroglyphs," and frequent the "very beautiful beach." CanoeHouse has "great Pacific Rim cuisine," and "what sunsets!"
$$$$; 350 rooms; golf, tennis, pool, spa, water sports, beach; wheelchair-accessible"

It is rated second only to the Four Seasons on the Big Island and the 4th best in all of Hawaii. I know that Conde Nast favors their advertisers, etc., but I have never been let down by Conde Nast Traveler and through www.travelscape.com, I can get four nights in an Ocean View room, breakfast daily, rental of a mid-sized car and airfare from LAX for $2,250 USD. That is a great deal, in my opinion.

Should I go through with my Santa Barbara stay, it will cost me $1,300 USD for only a three night stay. If I were to add a fourth night to keep it equal, I am almost up to $1,750. For $500 more, I would be a fool not to go to one of the very best places in Hawaii.

Also, the good thing about Hawaii is not having to bother with customs and early arrivals for international flights, although my passport will be mad at me for not getting another little stamp!
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 11:28 AM

Fly direct to Cabo, skip the town though, on the corrodor stay at Las Ventanas, Casa del Mar or Esperanza. But if you like to stay in the most exclusive places, don't expect it to be reasonable.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 02:58 PM

Roccco-I was at the Mauna & loved it. Maui is also wonderful.
I hope to meet you when I come to California but first I'm off to turkey.
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 04:11 AM

I second Esperanza, it is unbelievable
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 10:09 PM
Original Poster

Patty,

Have a great time in Turkey. My wife and I were in Istanbul for 3 nights three years ago to begin our honeymoon (an Orient Lines Meditteranean cruise). We stayed at the Ceylon Intercontinental. While it was a nice hotel, it did not compare to the Four Seasons Istanbul which was the site of a former Turkish prison.

Istanbul is a fascinating city, for sure. Have fun.
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 10:39 PM

Hi Roccco,
I was going to stay at the ceylan but now I am booked at the Hilton. I am going to spend 3 fantastic weeks there and end it with 4 nights at a beautiful resort that is supposed to be one of the best-just waiting for the confirmation. Of the big chain hotels the most luxurious(& a bit too far)is Kempinski Ciragan Palace right on the shores of the Bosphorous. I know the 4 seasons is supposed to be fantastic-it is on the sultanahmet side. But I want to stay around the Taksim area simply because it is supposed to be less touristy & I could always take a taxi. The Swissotel is also supposed to be good.
Roccco-I think I would like you to plan my next african trip!!!!