Search

Hawaii, Acapulco or Costa Rica?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawaii, Acapulco or Costa Rica?

Hello,

I am trying to decide between Acapulco or Hawaii and cannot make up my mind. I am taking 9 days off work and was thinking about going to Mexico City, renting a car, driving to Cuernavaca, Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo and spending most of my time in Acapulco or going to Hawaii. I don't want to sit by the beach all day. I want to go hiking, on day trips, etc. I want a fun vacation in a beautiful place. Any recommendations? Thank you!!!!! Oh wait¡K I also had Costa Rica in my mind. ƒº Any thoughts? Were would you rather go? Thank you!!!
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 02:59 PM

Consider the Costa Alegre just N of Manzanillo.
M
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 05:57 PM

Maui would be my choice, hands down.
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 06:06 PM

Costa Rica, no problem. Beautiful scenery, safe, and wildlife that you have only seen on tv.
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 06:19 PM

We have visited all three spots, so I feel a little qualified to answer your question. Both Mexico and Costa Rica would be quite a bit cheaper than Hawaii. Of the three, Hawaii is most like the mainland and language, obviously, is not a barrier.

Hawaii would be "safer", if that is a concern to you, especially if you are considering a driving tour. We did a driving tour of Costa Rica. The roads are challenging to say the least. We were warned at least twice during our trip to keep moving because of areas where robbery of tourists is common. (This was in the countryside, not in downtown San Jose.) That said, we were never nervous about traveling there. We didn't drive in Mexico, but the cab rides were harrowing and we often passed through checks done by heavily armed soldiers. Again, we didn't feel frightened, but it was unsettling and I'm not sure I'd want to drive through the country.

Costa Rica has enough to keep you busy for weeks and is a real adventurer's paradise. Mexico's appeal for me is mainly the fabulous white sand beaches. There is plenty to do in Hawaii to keep you busy for 9 days, especially if you visit more than one island, and adventurous activities abound there as well.

I thought Hawaii was the most beautiful, Costa Rica has the best wildlife and Mexico the best beaches.

Hope this helps, good luck!
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 07:03 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
9 days is not that long of a trip, so I would take into consideration the time and expense of getting yourself to each of the 3 destinations. For me, 1 island in Hawaii better fits in this timeline. I would want to have at least a couple weeks for a Mexican road trip or going all the way to CR.